Draft Recap

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Roggie, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    Just a thread for us to talk about our players drafted. This'll make it so the other thread is mainly used to talk trades and for Mustang to alert those to when they are on the clock.

2. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    Lions:

Round 1 (11) - SS Carrington Murrell - HUGE addition to the Lions' D. Not a great coverage safety, but can step up and drill a ball carrier. With SS being a giant weakness in the defense, Murrell will step in and start right away, especially after Amari Spievey degressed this offseason. Spievey could still see the field in obvious passing situations.

Round 2 (40) - LT Shalon Swain - I was ecstatic to see him still available at 40. Thought he'd go first round for sure, but Swain looks to be the new starting LT. Backus will move into a backup role, as the 36 year old is starting to decline. (This draft choice was received in a trade with Minnesota for my 3rd round pick and former starting RT)

Round 2 (43) - CB Spencer Carnes - He wasn't the most talented corner left on the board, but he was the most athletic. I'm hoping he can improve his raw ability through the season and move into being a nickelback or number 2 corner. Has the chance to become a solid number 2 man or a great nickel corner.

Round 3 (92) - WR Jimmy Jordan - Another tall WR to go along with Calvin Johnson. Great athleticism, although he has stiff hips. Elusive as well. Not the best hands, but can jump up and grab the ball and can make the catch in traffic.

Round 4 (107) - DT Douglas Nixon - Depth signing. Could see the field on long drives or due to injury.

Round 5 (139) - HB A.C. Law - Drafted solely on his name.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  3. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

49ers:

Round 1 (25)-DT Pappas Walker. Fills a need and gives SF some good value at 82 overall and B potential. Big hoss (6'2 341) who will play nose in the 34, a positioin the Niners really need to upgrade. SF draft Isikeli Wallace in the 2nd round last year, but his 66 stamina made it difficult for him to stay on the field. Between these two, SF should solidify the rest of their DL for the foreseeable future. There are talks of Wallace moving out to end at some point, though we'll really have no idea what coach peench is planning on until camp opens up.

For the remaining rounds look for SF to solidify depth at CB, WR, and LB

4. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

Round 2 (46) - LE Tavaras Armstead. Great block shed with high potential, will be groomed to replace John Abraham in the near future.

Round 4 (110) - TE Joshua Woods. Good size and strength, will need some grooming as a receiver, but a good value pick for this late in the draft

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  5. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Rd 1 (32) - RG Billy McKinney - 77 ovr B pot

Titans have an aging line, we needed to address it. The Cowboys snagged the Center we wanted 2 picks before, but McKinney does just as well

6. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Jags :

Round 1 (#2) RE - Ja'Mario Hammond - 86 ovr ...... The Jags came into the darft with multiple needs at multiple positions, but this dradft class did not have most of what Jacksonville was in need of so we went with best players availible. The #2 pick left a few good players but one no brainer in Mr. Hammond. The rookie will start from day 1 and looks like a potential pro-bowler , not only is he a pash rusher but looks to have the tools to support the run as well.

Round 2 (#36) HB - Algrenon McKoy - 82 ovr ..... After looking hard at a WR the Jags made a bold move to pick up one of the top HB in the draft. With Jones-Drew still productive but aging, Jacksonville picks up what could be a clone of Jones-Drew in McKoy. Standing at 5'9 210lbs McKoy may be able to pass for Jones-Drew from a distance , but he has a long way to go to match his productivity. The rookie HB has good speed and agility, and has the best hands of any of the top flight backs. He will come into camp as th 2nd HB and may get some playing time in 3rd down role.

7. gogiants98

gogiants98 Walk On

Browns:

Round 1 (#28) ROLB Dmonique Carnes - 75 OVR - B POT - After pushing their decision to the last minute, the Browns opted for need over BPA. Unlike last year, it seems as though nearly every player on the Browns draft board failed to fall to their position. The Browns get an athletic linebacker in Carnes that will compete for a starting job right away. While the Browns may explore other options this off-season and have not closed the door on trying to resign ROLB Gary Guyton, the Browns hope Carnes can be a long term solution to solidifying their linebacking core. He joins sophomore Justin Young out of Notre Dame at MLB as a young core in the Browns front 7.

Round 2 (#16, from Chargers) LE Odell Boudreaux - 72 OVR - A POT - The Browns saw a chance to shed some cap space and get a guy they really wanted, and sent MLB Barrett Rudd, their 3rd and 4th round draft pick to San Diego for their 2nd round pick. Rudd had an excellent season for the Browns, save some games where the Browns struggled to stop the run, but Justin Young made an impression when Rudd was out and it was time for both parties to move on. Without the trade, Cleveland wouldn't have picked in the 2nd round; they traded their 2nd round pick last season in the Brent Grimes trade with Atlanta.

In Boudreaux they get a very fast defensive end that the team hopes will one couple with RE Jabaal Sheard as the league's top bookend pass rushers. Last year's free agent acquisition Trevor Scott's job is safe for now, but expect to see Boudreaux come in for passing downs with Scott shifted to the middle next to defensive tackle A. Rubin.

The Browns do not pick again until the 27th pick of the 4th round, but it's possible they may look to trade up into the 3rd round.

8. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

With the last pick in the 2nd round, the Titans grab the best player available:

HB Wayman Nixon - 80 ovr B pot

Wayman is a very versatile back who is highly athletic. He compares to a guy like Darren Sproles. He has 95 spd and 97 acc and agi, but is a threat as a receiver out of the backfield with 81 catching. He should be a great spell back to CJ and also be a very potent 3rd down back.

9. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Since I wasn't here for the first round, I got a LG drafted for me, tho I was happy with Incognito at LG and would have prefered to go at either S in the first round but it could give me the ability to let Incognito go to a mentor role for the young guy.

In the 2nd round we went with a DE to move towards the 4-3 scheme, it should help give some depth and give us a legit pass rushing threat.

Round 3 saw the Dolphins give QB Brandon Toscano a new weapon at WR to go with Mike Williams and Dane Sanzenbacher. Giving us some big height at 6'3 and some good wheels.

10. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Ya there really wasnt any first round talent left at Safety. I did look there, but the best was the SS 78 ovr B pot guy, who has bad coverage skills.

This guy was an immediate starter.

11. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

I mean hey you gotta do what you gotta do, I know I definitely wouldn't have gone G but without being there you had to do what you thought was best and it's okay. I will deal with it and just leaves me the chance to try and reshape things differently. Make the best of it (y)

12. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

He is a stud though, 96 potential.

Out of curiosity, given what was left, who would you have drafted?

13. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

Possibly a stud DT that was taken after me, but definitely not a bad pick at all. I mean I will take it and use it to help make my good ground game even better. I just am in the process of changing from the 3-4 to the 4-3 and have a need at S, I looked at the S but yeah I wouldn't have gone with him, so yeah I probably would have gone with a DT, WR or that G so I'm good with it.

14. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

oh I was just curious really. I didnt know you were making a switch on D. The G, DT and HB were the 3 best available at that point

15. IXI DECAY IXI

IXI DECAY IXI Walk On

In round 1 the Arizona Cardinals drafted DT William Wright who should see playing time right away. Wright comes in at 6'3", 308 Lbs, and a 82 overall rating with a 95 potential rating.

In round 2, the Cardinals picked up WR Kenneth Sherman. Sherman will most likely see the field in key situations this season, but the Cardinals goal is hopefully to have somebody to replace the aging Fitzgerald in the future. Sherman comes in as a 76 overall and stands at 6'3".

The Cardinals decided to add some depth in round 3 as they picked up RT DeWayne Wallace. Wallace is 6'4", 331 Lbs, and with an 82 potential rating, the Cardinals hope to see him a starter one day.

16. Raidernation

Raidernation I can show you better than I can tell you

Round 1 Sherrard Eddie CB - 6-2 corner with 87 man 86 zone and good hands, good fit for the defense

Round 2 Jerad Griffin WR - Will eventually fill Whites shoes 85rte 99cit 98spc 80rls .... we'll have to see how his 66inj plays out
    Terry McCorkle QB - A Vick type player has loads of potential 69tas 80tam 70tad 80tor

Round 3 DeAndre' Holloway CB - A Raider pick ..... Fastest cover man available
    Jermichael Akuna FB - The guys a offensive guard in a fullback's body all he does is block !! 75rbk 90ibl 88rbs 79rbf