Draft Round Restriction - VOTE

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by majesty95, Feb 1, 2013.

?

Should we restrict players from being drafted more than 2 round above their projection?

Poll closed Feb 2, 2013.
  1. Yes

57.1%
  2. No

42.9%
  1. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

There was some talk about placing a round restriction on guys that you draft. Meaning you can only draft guys two round before their projection. For example, you can only draft guys in the first round who were projected in the 1-3 round. You can only draft guys in the 2nd round who were drafted in the 2-4 rounds, etc. I'm in favor of this as it will add to the realism. However, the CPU teams would be free to take who they want, when they want (not that they are that good at drafting anyway). I wanted to put it to a 24 hour vote to be in effect as of this Sunday's draft. Let me know what you think.

2. majesty95

3. mikeb539

mikeb539 Walk On

I vote yes, though I'd prefer no restrictions on who to draft. If we're talking potential booting and banishment from the league by subjectively deciding some owners 'cheat', there should be some sort of specific standard or rule set to follow, otherwise this could turn into a witch hunt.

4. RVallee

RVallee Walk On

I voted yes just because I feel that's where it's headed. I'm really middle of the fence on the issue, because I think without the rule in place it's left too much to interpetation. We all have scouting points and it's not hard to figure out some of the better players. The lower projected players are mostly lower because of the terrible AWR ratings they have.

I do agree though, I've done many drafts and most certainly seem like "Development" hunts. It's unfortunate because there are many Slow players that are great players. And just because you have a Quick or Superstar Dev player doesn't mean they'll be good either, they need success and playing time to earn the XP in the first place.

5. MarkyMark67

MarkyMark67 Walk On

I think if you have a 1st round pick that you should not be aloud to draft someone projected in the 3rd round. Thats a waste of a 1st round pick. in my opinion. and you should have traded out of that round, like it happens in the real NFL draft. It should only be 2 rounds, that one and one more, 1-2. not the 1-3 rounds.

6. MarkyMark67

MarkyMark67 Walk On

where are you seeing the "development of the player"? I don't even look at that besause it depends on how you use the player in the game, whether he developes or not. Right?

I wasn't trying to be harsh, I was trying to figure out with I was missing something when I was scouting players.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  7. woodsmall

woodsmall Walk On

I said no and the reason is because in other leagues that I have participated in drafts, and in some cases, the best player is not always the first or second guys at a position, especially one that already has a limited selection of players at that position, then you are hamstrung and can't select them ... I scout through my positions of need ... I probably open up a few more things than others to really get a good idea as to what kind of player I am investing in ... for example, lets pretend its a down year for Strong Safeties ... there are 6 on the board and if you scout all of them to find out the best one is projected in the 5th round, well you can't select him late in the first round

In the real world, we all evaluate talent differently and some put in more time than others ... we should all be allowed to draft who we want based off that premise ... we didn't have any issues on the drafts we have conducted before so I am not sure why its an issue now?

• Like Like x 3
  8. majesty95

woodsmall There wasn't an issue when Major League Baseball expanded from 154 to 162 games. Sometimes its just about looking to better the product ;) Tom Brady and Terrell Davis were probably the best players in their drafts but were both drafted in the 6th round. Last year was insane (which you missed because you couldn't attend the draft). There were lots of projected 7th rounders drafted in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. It would be nice to have some better players late and have some added strategy. Sure, maybe we could have taken a guy late 1st that was projected 5th and maybe we miss him if he can't be drafted until the 3rd but isn't that the point of having late picks? Also, this is something that has been implemented in other leagues on here which is why it was brought up. These are sim league designed to simulate real life as much as possible within the context of the game.

mikeb539 RVallee AoHigh5 danwin You guys are new and have shown some concern with being called out for "cheating" in the draft. As I mentioned in the other thread, if you are only using your scouting and not trying to gain any kind of unfair advantage then you have nothing to worry about. I'm simply letting the new guys know that the site (not just this league) is strongly against any form of "cheese" or "cheating". I just threw it out there because you guys were new and, much like the rules, wanted to make sure everyone is on the same page. We had no issues last year so I don't expect any this year. That is all. No need to worry. Just do the right thing and all is well. :)

• Like Like x 4
  9. danwin

danwin Walk On

I understand, thanks.

10. Glen Cieske

Glen Cieske Walk On

I think the rule should be, in the first round you have to draft a player projected in the 1st or 2nd round. In the 2nd round you have to pick someone projected in rounds 1-3. In the 3rd round projected in rounds 1-4. Once the 4th round hits there's no restrictions.

11. Cj king

Cj king Walk On

i think its a fantastic idea

12. danwin

danwin Walk On

I like Cieske's idea

• Like Like x 1
  13. Crunk_Ness

Crunk_Ness Walk On

I tend to agree with woodsmall in the fact that I also scout by position of need but I understand and agree that some kind of restriction should be in place so that any "cheesing" during the draft is simply avoided. So I did vote no but have changed my mind after reading the discussion. Restrictions sounds like a more realistic situation for teams and their picks.

14. bigtubb_

bigtubb_ Walk On

After thinking about it, The only issue I see with the restrictions is that some positions have few draft eligible players...ie fb, center, k and punter....some of them are projected late round picks...for example...the first FB on the draft board is round 4.... If we had 32 players then I agree with everyone's point...but the CPU will draft who it wants and waiting a few rounds to get a fb, who says there will be one left....I suggest that FB, C, K and P should be the exceptions to the rule if we agree to restrictions.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  15. Glen Cieske

Glen Cieske Walk On

I agree with tubb on that one, I do still like my idea for restrictions with the added C,K,P,&FB exception.

16. majesty95

Only half of the guys voted and the poll closes in four hours. If you don't vote, don't complain if it doesn't go your way ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. LLCoolGrey

LLCoolGrey Walk On

Also the cpu doesnt really abide by the rounds either...in other drafts they take a guy slated for the 6th and 7th in the 3rd or 4th. With limited positions available I think 2 to 3 rds limit should be allowed. If i scout a guy whose projected 1st rd 20th pick and my pick is up, but i like a guy whose projected 3rd round, i should be able to take my player. Not have to settle for mediocre talent.

18. majesty95

OK, by a slim margin the draft restrictions win. Here are the restrictions for the draft effective immediately.

VFL Draft Restrictions

1st Round - may take any player projected to go in rounds 1-3
    2nd Round - may take any player projected to go in rounds 1-4
    3rd Round - may take any player projected to go in rounds 1-5
    4th through 7th Round - may take any player available
    Exceptions - FB, C, K, P may be taken at any time

It is your responsibility to adhere to this rule. Failure to do so will require you to release the player following the draft into the waiver pool.

MarkyMark67, Futuriistiics, Jbbubba, Reallyrill, LLCoolGrey, YungLew15, bigtubb_, AveryB, Ninersfan80, Crunk_Ness, woodsmall, Crumbler81, MiaFLSurf, Glen Cieske, AoHigh5, Justin Crabb, CJTHA1, danwin, coachgaddy, Cj king, RVallee, mikeb539

• Like Like x 3