Draft Stories! 2016

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Freakskull, Dec 5, 2015.

1. Freakskull

Freakskull Lobsters are mermaids to scorpions.

Draft is done, 2 hours even.

Finish roster moves by 6pm, we advance into first week of preseason.

Finish waiver requests by Midnight.

Tell us your draft hits and misses here!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Freakskull

3. greatnessdc

greatnessdc Walk On

The Falcons went into this offseason knowing they would need a new QB as Matt Ryan's mind was slowly deteriorating under the pressure of being a starting qb in the NFL. After a very long drawn out process the Falcons came to terms on a trade with the New York Giants that saw Atlanta land the number one pick.

With the number one pick in the draft the Atlanta Falcons selected:

[​IMG]

Very reminiscent of a former Atlanta Falcons qb who was taken over a decade ago. Vereen is a playmaking QB who's arm is deceptively accurate. He slips through arm tackles and has the ability to extend the play on any drop back. Atlanta knew who they wanted at QB and went and got him.

The Falcons had already hit their main target and went into the 2nd hoping to find a valuable piece to add to their roster to try and make another Super Bowl run.

With the 2nd round pick Atlanta selected:
    [​IMG]

Jackson sustained an injury at the combine but was coming off a strong senior season at USC. His ability to find the ball carrier is top of this class. The big knock on Jackson is sometimes he can get fouled on a play very easily. This will be vocal point for Dan Quinn as this rookie looks to play a huge role in the Falcons defense.

• Awesome Content Awesome Content x 3
  4. RFF

RFF Walk On

Texans management came away very pleased with their day at the draft. Last year, while they did hit big on their 1st & 2nd round picks, the rest of the draft was a mess, and both the fanbase & ownership let it be known. Houston had 9 selections in sum, and after trading away a late round pick for selections next season, the early expectation is that all 8 drafted players look poised to make the final 53.

Texans brass were active in trades in the hours leading up to the draft, moving back from the #9 spot to pick up extra picks, then moving back up to 15. After surrendering three 2nd round picks in total for this selection, it was important they hit. HB wasn't a top priority coming in, but Oscar Hull proved to be more than HC/GM Francis was willing to pass on, and early noise out of training camp is that HOU has already found their star RB to succeed the just-retired Arian Foster.

[​IMG]

All along, the Texans loved TE Kyle Vaughn out of UNLV. He was a physical specimen with strong catching ability and an impressive work ethic. They took a risk switching gears and passing on him at 15, then watched another college star TE come off the board at 17. In the end, though, Houston got their guy.

[​IMG]

Offensive line was a priority for Houston coming in, needing to find a replacement plan for the aging Duane Brown and potentially upgrade their RT spot in the meantime. The top lineman on their board all along was Deontae Dukes, as he was among the top pass-blocking OTs in all of college last season. With only a single OL off the board by #25, Houston decided to spend the 1st on their #1 target rather than wait to the 2nd. Dukes is expected to start at RT from day one and long-term could have the pedigree to anchor the LT spot in the future.

[​IMG]

Finding a long-term answer at NT was also something GM Francis wanted to address with their host of 2017 selections--four in the first 41 picks in all. After going OL with #25, they watched the board hoping Randall Belton--easily the most dominant college NT in a few years--would slip them at #41. The guess privately was that 3-4 DTs were not highly coveted in drafts, but they knew all it would take is one team, as the next guy on their list was a marked step down, and they didn't believe Belton would last until their next pick in the 3rd round. He will compete for a starting job in year one and certainly looks like their defensive line anchor for the foreseeable future.

[​IMG]

Rounds 3-7
    Although no stars or projected future starters were found in the mid/late rounds, the Texans addressed a few different positions of need while upgrading the overall talent level of their depth: a solid edge pass-rusher in the 3rd, a dime package coverage corner in the 4th, a mauler of a run-blocking tackle in the 5th, and an impressive 34 DE run stuffer in the 7th.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall Draft Grade: A

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Awesome Content Awesome Content x 1
  5. akutozo

akutozo Baby, I'm a Brown.

When the Browns entered the off season, they had two plans in mind: draft as many guys in the first round as possible, or bet it all on a few key guys. When the Texans opened up conversations early in the off season, we knew they'd be willing to trade down... and with a 2 WRs in mind, they sent Josh Gordon to Arizona to make this happen. Cleveland went from having the #16, the #10, the #10, 20 and 25 to the #9 after sending RFF a "godfather offer".

At #9 the Browns wanted to make a statement with where they were going at WR drafting LeAndre Harper. Browns staff was verrrry nervous Masterfocker would reconsider the pickup of Dre Dixon, or that Cole Copeland would decide to make WR a priority. Browns top staff could not ignore the 96 top speed matched with an incredibly 96 Jumping. A Superstar in the making, all LeAndre needs is to polish his Route Running and on field awareness to become a nightmare out of any formation.

upload_2015-12-5_16-5-31.png

Prize of the draft:

Pick #10. New reports indicated the Ayers was a shutdown SS when it mattered most, and boy were they right. When the scouting reports came back showing B- catching, all it took was a combine grade of 90 speed to make the Browns never look back. The prize SS from LSU comes into Cleveland with the Clutch trait, 81 Zone and 82 Catching with a very solid 84 Pursuit. While most rookies will be getting up to speed, Ayers has a starting quality 79 Play Recognition coming out of the gate. With Donte Whitner getting his walking papers in the offseason, Ayers will slot in perfectly to the Browns secondary.

upload_2015-12-5_15-58-42.png

A replacement for Alex Mack?

Pick 36. When they saw Galvin's Bench Press, they always knew they'd take him if he fell to the 2nd but never expected. Teams who need lineman will be sad to see a rich offensive line get richer with Anthony Galvin on the roster. A Fast learner, he comes in with solid blocking skills with and needs to get more used to the speed of the NFL, which an awareness bump will accomplish nicely. 94 STR and 85 ACC make him a tough linemen to push past.

upload_2015-12-5_16-9-16.png

Draft Grade: A

• Awesome Content Awesome Content x 3
  6. RFF

RFF Walk On

Seems like that worked out for both of us

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. seanisgreat87

seanisgreat87 Walk On

Sorry for missing the draft, woke up super early, thought I could go back to sleep for a while, that turned into like 6 more hours of sleep.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

Your wrong about rounds 3-7......

Jackson Murphy could play Nose tackle and is basically as good as Belton as a DT.

Hunter Marshall is a top shelf rookie pass rusher with his speed, accel, pursuit, and finesse moves.

Those guys both have more value than you are giving them credit for.

9. RFF

RFF Walk On

I like Belton more as a NT than Murphy but I'll have Murphy as a top backup at basically every DL position now. Marshall I hope you are right about, I felt lucky to get him in the 3rd as he was one of my top pass-rusher targets, but with Slow dev, I don't know that he'll ever start for me. Hoping to progress him enough that he becomes a deadly sub package rusher.

10. Wyrmreaver

Wyrmreaver Ready for Madden 15 on Xbox One, lets get it on!

I mean, if you don't use Marshall he won't improve, if you play with him some and are able to get, like 8-10 sacks by user controlling him on passing downs he will have XP to spare, get that finesse move over 90 and he will be scary. Swap your scheme to "speed rusher" and I imagine his OVR will jump up

11. RFF

RFF Walk On

That's the plan. :)

12. Mozaaik

Mozaaik Walk On

I see that i taught akutozo well.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. xSavedByGracex

xSavedByGracex Walk On

The 49ers went into the draft with a lot of ammunition, but the owner was nervous because he is still getting the hang of the NFL Draft, and scouting players. However, he attended a clinic this offseason and gained some useful knowledge from another owner and it proved to pay off. In the first round the 49ers selected Takoby Lee, who is 77 overall with blazing speed to go along with their other newly acquired speedy corner acquired via trade in the offseason. Lee is 5'10" with 96 speed and 91 jumping. He has 87 man, 82 Zone, and 83 Press coverage.

In the 2nd round the 49ers had 3 picks and they made the most of them. The first pick of the second round was used on 80 overall ROLB Gage Taylor. Taylor is 6'1" 236 with 82 speed, 88 tackle, 80 hit power, and 83 zone coverage.

Their next 2nd round pick was used on 74 overall WR Martaze Duncan. Duncan in 6'4" 221 with 90 speed, 87 SPC, 81 Release, and 97 Jumping.

The last 2nd round pick was used to select 5'11" 81 overall SS Rashard Gray. Gray has 85 speed, 83 ZC, 75 MC, 70 Press, 74 Play Recognition, 83 Pursuit, and 82 Hit Power.

Overall the 49ers addressed needs with good young players, with a great deal of upside.

• Like Like x 4
  14. ZCar352

ZCar352 Keep Pounding...Go Panthers!!!

The final draft as the San Diego Chargers before officially moving to Portland was ok by experts standards. Coming into the draft we made a lot of moves that acquired us more picks but not having a 1st rounder really hurt trying to find starters to fill in at DT and OLB. We almost had a deal for #25 with Houston but miscommunication between the GM's saw that slip away and with the next pick the Panthers took the #1 player on our big board OLB Desean Massey. That was unfortunate but with the 5th pick in the 2nd round we anxiously awaited to see if we could get our #2 guy and we did in OLB Jeremiah Roberson out of UCLA.

2nd Round Pick 37 OLB Jeremiah Roberson
    [​IMG]

After Roberson we needed to address another starting spot and we did as we selected DT Devin McKay out of Florida State.

2nd Round 49th Pick DT Devin McKay
    [​IMG]

After filling both need spots with our first two 2nd round picks with our third we decided to go Tight End to add more depth at the position as we failed to sign anyone in free agency and boy did it work out as we drafted Casey Roberts from the University of Texas.

2nd Round 51st Pick TE Casey Roberts
    [​IMG]

With our 3rd round pick we needed to address our depth at WR so we had our eyes on WR Mack Mack but Seattle picked him right before our pick so we went with out back up plan and selected Jaron Vincent from Alabama. He is a speedster and will electrify our return game on special teams.

3rd Round 83rd Pick WR Jaron Vincent
    [​IMG]

We had three 4th round picks but decided to trade one of them but in reality we should have traded all three because both picks in the 4th that we made were awful. We took DE Gilbert Jones at pick 109 and DT Tyrone Riley at 115, Only Riley made it to the 53 as Jones was let go and replaced by rookie free agent signing Vernard Hunter.

For our 5th round pick we decided to get our back up of the future once Philip Rivers retires and Osweiler takes over. We believe we got maximum value with this pick and he may one day be our starter. We selected QB Christopher Myrick from the University of Southern California.

5th Round 147th Pick QB Christopher Myrick
    [​IMG]

We didn't have a 6th round pick but as for our 7th round selection we chose MLB Cortez Garrett who is a solid MLB but definitely is a project and needs a little polish but all in all will be a good special teamer for his first few seasons.

Overall Draft Grade: B-

• Awesome Content Awesome Content x 2
  15. Hordan54

Hordan54 Walk On

I drafted HB Lenex Brandon.
    https://daddyleagues.com/haw/player/5506770/attributes

Sims and Hull were my #1 and #2. I didn't really want any of the guys after the them. Brandon was actually my #4 after Leonard. All I can say, thank the lawd he is a stud. Great size, good physicals and traits and that SS = $$$$$$$$$$$$.

16. Freakskull

This draft was really deep, it seems like everyone has a success story. Here are my hits and misses.

I was scared to take a 5'10'' Cornerback, but Armond Taylor impressed management with his cover skills. Hopefully, he will blossom into a good pair with Bishop.
    [​IMG]

Later in the first, The Steelers were able to address their number one need: Tight End. This pick, owner Max Kane went to the Bar(s). There were two star TEs in this draft, and the Oklahoma stand out edged the pick.
    [​IMG]

The second round saw a possible future QB in the Steel City. Dan "the man" Landrum has a decent arm and is accurate over the middle distances. Hopefully Big Ben will spend some time to teach deep throws and play action.
    [​IMG]

The last draftee that made the team is LG Andy Weatherspoon, a backup in talent and potential.

Three players in the 80s is a good draft for anyone, but the Steelers had to cut too many "misses". Overall grade?

B+

• Like Like x 1