Draft Thoughts

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by controllerabuser, Feb 10, 2012.

1. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Questions about this year's draft:
    This is just something to get the discussion going. Please do not be offended by answers. It's all in good fun.
    • Who had the best draft?
    • Who had the worst draft?
    • Looking back on your own draft, did you make any mistakes?
    • Were there any players taken that you had targeted on your board?
    • What player(s) did you think a coach took a reach on?
    • Were there any players taken late that surprised you by falling that low?
    • What rookie(s) looks to be the biggest bust?
    • Who do you think will be the ROTY?
    • What rookie(s) will be the sleeper?
    If there are any questions you would like to add, feel free to add!

2. biggcoug65

biggcoug65 49er for Life

1. HAL9100 had the best draft
    2. tough to say who had the worst without looking at every team's needs before the draft, but I'll say Texans or Cards
    3. Maybe took some guys too early, like Earlzo in the 3rd, but he has 99 speed and his name is Earlzo...
    4. yes, I wanted that SS that Hal took
    5. Cardinals probably could have taken Denard Taylor LG (19th overall) in the 2nd round at the #5 spot
    6. Brenden Evans QB falling to me at 17
    7. SS Donovain Hill (San Diego)
    8. QB Brenden Evans (drafted by coach B. Evans, any relation??) ROTY for sure!
    9. K Case Hancock...97 kick power could be a dangerous threat

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  3. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    1. HAL9100 definitely had the best draft.
    2. Me? No first round pick (although I did get Armani Owens for that), but the rest of my picks just didnt line up how I was hoping.
    3. Mistakes? Not really. See question 4.
    4. I was hoping Ali Cain or Aldrin Griffin would slide into the 2nd round but Bob and JB took them late 1st.
    5. The Texans and Tyjuan Grant. Him going that early is a bit of a reach imo.
    6. Really surprised Brenden Evans fell all the way to 17th. Made me regret trading my 1st round pick, I didnt expect him to still be there at 9.
    7. Tyjuan Grant, only because he was taken so high.
    8. DeMarcus Coleman
    9. Dain Noel.

4. thegman2.0

thegman2.0 Walk On

5. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Who had the best draft? I'm going to have to agree with the majority and say that the Patriots had the best draft. Just the two top picks alone can measure up to any team's full draft. I really like the additions of Pendleton and Murray that make a good defense very stout now.

Who had the worst draft? I don't know if I can say anybody had a horrible draft. I think we all have opinions on strengths and needs of our teams.

Looking back on your own draft, did you make any mistakes? No, I don't think I did. I addressed the weakest spot on my roster which was middle linebacker. Huge upgrade there and then added another corner which I needed. Now that I look at CB Jamarkus Clay's ratings, I'm glad I took him. He isn't fast but the kid can cover his ass off. 84 MCV, 82 ZCV with 99 JMP and 83 SPC. I also added depth and got young at linebacker.

Were there any players taken that you had targeted on your board?A couple, for sure Danneil Carter, what a stud that guy should be. Adam Williamson was high on my list as well as Earlzo Monroe.

What player(s) did you think a coach took a reach on? Even though Landon Grice has the potential to be a 97 overall, I think Sporty took a huge reach at that pick because there was a lot talent left on the board.

Were there any players taken late that surprised you by falling that low? Lorrell Hammond, I thought for sure, his size and a couple of his attributes would make him go a little higher. I thought Gary Frederick would have been taken before Preston Banks. Ali Cain falling all the way to 28th was a bit surprising as well.

What rookie(s) looks to be the biggest bust? I think DE Na'Quan Boyd is going to be a huge bust. He missed out on Daevon Austin, Thadeus McCoy and Adam Williamson.

Who do you think will be the ROTY? I'm going to go with WR DeMarcus Coleman from the Cincinnati Bengals. The dude looks nasty!

What rookie(s) will be the sleeper? I'm going to go with CB Tyjuan Grant. I know it was a bit of a reach considering his potential but the guy can cover and Noles knows how to use him.

6. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

Who had the best draft? I am not sure you can say anyone really had the best or worst draft. Potential doesnt mean much really. To me its all about the teams needs and if those needs were filled.
    Who had the worst draft? Again its all about a teams needs. If a team had a specific need and they passed up a better guy to get their need then i would say that was a good draft
    Looking back any mistakes? Not really. I added my nickleback i needed. Getting Joplin may my need at MLB not a need and got a franchise RT in the 2nd rd. Added depth at the OLB position as well so i think it was a very good draft.
    Target? Only guy i would of like to get was DT Fleming but wasn't passing up on the franchise RT to go grab him
    Reach? Grice would be my pick or Williams
    Surprised at fall? The RT i grabbed i was surprised fell. I wasnt even thinking of being able to grab him. His Blocking skills are very good and oline is always a position of need.
    Bust? Qb Tyronne Williams he really isn't worth much as a qb. He can't hit his target very well. Very poor accuracy but i guess if you want to take off and run he will be the man
    ROTY? Hayes
    Sleeper? Nixon he may never be a cover guy but when it comes to being a pass rusher for the Olb position he could be very good at that

7. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    • Who had the best draft? I think the Broncos had a great draft. Brenden Evans at #17 was a great pick and fills a huge need for Denver. Plus in the 2nd Round, they added a RT with 98 potential.
    • Who had the worst draft? I'm really confused by the Redskins. They trade out of the #4 pick and end up taking the top RB, Preston Banks, with one of the 1st Round picks they got in return. Banks looks like a good player but with Eluzies Wells(24 years old and 96 OVR), was Banks really necessary? There were other good players available that they could've used.
    • Looking back on your own draft, did you make any mistakes? I needed a WR or 2 and came away from the draft without any WRs. I like all the players I got but I definitely should've gotten at least 1.
    • Were there any players taken that you had targeted on your board? I was torn between CB Reed and ROLB Pendleton for the #3 pick. ND made that one easy for me. For the #9 pick, I had a couple players in mind that all got taken between 4 and 8 but was lucky that the SS Murray was available. At #23, I had been hoping that WR Coleman would fall there and was ready to take C Cignetti.
    • What player(s) did you think a coach took a reach on? Tyjuan Grant of the Texans looks like a good player but was taken too high at #12.
    • Were there any players taken late that surprised you by falling that low? QB Brenden Evans. I wasn't expecting him to even fall to my pick at #9 let alone all the way to #17. I ended up passing because of injury concerns but he's going to be a steal if that doesn't come to fruition.
    • What rookie(s) looks to be the biggest bust? Imo, the ratings are what they are. The only way a player will be a bust is if they can't stay on the field. So I would just go with whoever has the lowest injury rating.
    • Who do you think will be the ROTY? AC Jackson. Yeah, it's a CPU team so it won't come true but the dude is a stud and will be the best offensive player in the draft.
    • What rookie(s) will be the sleeper? Sam Webster of the Broncos. He has the potential to be something great but it may take a few years to materialize.

• Like Like x 2
  8. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

[​IMG]

Who had the best draft?
    Haven't really looked much into the draft and other teams, I would say HAL9100 basically cause most of previous posters have said it and he had a lot of quality picks in his first 3.

Who had the worst draft?
    Again haven't looked much into it, I see that some have said the Texans though ;)

Looking back on your own draft, did you make any mistakes?
    No besides maybe skipping Al Cain with my pick but went with Grant, feeling he will fill the void in the Cardinals matching the Peterson deal.

Were there any players taken that you had targeted on your board?
    Yup, we were sold to take Brendan Murray if he were to fall to us and it helps that he is a Nole.

What player(s) did you think a coach took a reach on?
    Dolphins (cpu right?) I don't think Potts is that elite. Falcons Gerron Hardaway, safeties outside of Cain and Murray are not good.

Were there any players taken late that surprised you by falling that low?
    S Al Cain at 22. WR Darius Reed at 55

What rookie(s) looks to be the biggest bust?
    HB Preston Banks

Who do you think will be the ROTY?
    QB AC Jackson, LB Juliaus Pendleton or LB Patreon Frederick

What rookie(s) will be the sleeper?
    HB Gary Frederick, LB Aldrin Griffin

• Like Like x 2