Dru's Random Question #4 - Who is your All-Time team?

Discussion in 'The Baseline : NBA 2K14 Online Association' started by Dru50, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Sep 13, 2009
    For my 4th question, we're going outside the OA to ask everyone to fill out the roster for your All-Time team. Pick any 12 you want, but you should explain/defend why you picked who you picked. Please set up your roster listing who is your starting 5 and who is on the bench.

This was done years ago in the Locker Room forum and I thought we'd revisit it here in The Baseline.

Papa Perry
    Mike E
    Matrix Monkey
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

Dec 30, 2009
    PG - Magic Johnson - Best PG of all time
    SG - Michael Jordan - duh
    SF - Larry Bird - The Best shooter of all time, among other things
    PF - Charles Barkley - In his prime, there were few better
    C - Bill Russell - need a defensive dominator and leader in the locker room

6- - Steve Nash - would be a HELL of a lot of fun to have him running point with this group
    7 -- Kobe Bryant - Kobe!
    8 - LeBron james - could also run the point in a pinch
    9 - Dirk Nowitzki - one of the greatest shooters and defensive mis-matches ever
    10 - Hakeem Olajuwon - the Dream!
    11 - Shaquille O'Neal - Bring him and Hakeem off the bench at the 4 and 5...sweet
    12 - Oscar Robertson - gotta have one old-school brother on the team to show the kids how it's done

i know a lot of older guys are not on the list, but realistically none of the old guys could hold a candle to the players from the 80s going forwards outside of Russell and Oscar
  3. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Sep 13, 2009
    I'm limiting my list to guys I actually watched play.

PG - Chris Paul
    SG - Michael Jordan
    SF - Larry Bird
    PF - Hakeem Olajuwon
    C - Shaquille O'Neal

Magic Johnson
    Scottie Pippen
    Kobe Bryant
    Tim Duncan
    Lebron James
    Mark Price
    Kevin Garnett

My starting group is built around the concept that whoever you put on this team, MJ is the alpha dog. Bird's ability to space the floor and his preternatural passing ability prevents teams from being able to double Michael or Shaq in the post. The Dream is an extremely reliable mid range shooter, and while he was a tiny bit small for a C, he is easily able to match up with 4's. Paul is the glue and would thrive in the role of getting everyone else the ball in their best spots. The bench would be run by Magic, and with Pip/Mamba/LBJ on the wings it would be Showtime all over again. Plus, the defensive unit you could put out with this group of Paul/MJ/Pip/Bron/Dream would be crazy. The last two spots are guys to fill in situationally, Price if you need shooting (one of the most underrated shooters in my lifetime) and KG can fill in at any frontcourt position needed.

EDIT - Swapped David Robinson for Tim (TIMMAH!!!!) Duncan...not sure how I spaced on missing him in my original post.
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  4. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

Dec 30, 2009

This poster was on my bedroom door for many a year growing up
  5. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

Feb 10, 2009
    Mark Price is a shooting coach for the Magic now. I wish he could get Dwight to make free throws.
  6. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Apr 17, 2009
    PG - Magic Johnson - LeBron before LeBron. Insane size to go with amazing skill and extremely high basketball IQ. Lowest White Bloodcell count eva.
    SG - Michael Jordan - stop
    SF - LeBron James - Freakiest athlete with insane passing ability. Pretty much does whatever he wants on the floor.
    PF - Tim Duncan - The big fundamental
    C - Hakeem Olajuwon - Most skilled big eva.

6- - Allen Iverson - best Small of all time.
    7 -- Kobe Bryant - He's a snitch, but one of the most gifted scorers we've seen. Killer instinct. Kobe, tell my how my ass tastes.
    8 - Shaquille O'Neal - Most physically dominant player of all time.
    9 - John Stockton - Passing genius. Dropped dimes like a confidential informant.
    10 - Larry Bird - Swishin errythang. Underrated defender.
    11 - Kareem Abdul Jabbar - Unstoppable scorer, played in a tougher era than Wilt or Russell.
    12 - Charles Barkley - One of the toughest players ever. Incredible jack of all trades who played the role of lead scorer, lead rebounder, lockdown defender, and enforcer all at the same time.
  7. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Feb 23, 2009
    Steve Nash is a better player and shooter than Mark Price.

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Jun 5, 2009
    yeah I remember this Drew.

PG Magic Johnson - He did it all. Any PG that can start a finals game at Center will always get my vote..gtfo
    SG Michael Jordon - Goes without saying
    SF Lebron James - Mostly for defense really. Can guard almost any position but can do it all on offense as well. He's deferring to MJ in the clutch to so you don't have to sweat that small detail
    PF Tim Duncan - Fundamentally maybe the greatest player of our generation
    C Shaq Diesel - Too physical. In his prime it was men vs. boys with him. You couldn't do shit with him at all.

6- Scottie Pippen - Great, great, great defensive player.
    7- Kobe Bryant - The only reason he's not my starter is because of MJ. He is the 2nd greatest 2 guard I've ever seen.
    8- Isiah Thomas - Ruthless...loves goosing secretaries and would cut your heart out for a layup
    9- Larry Bird - Another great competitor...great shooter that goes without saying.
    10- Hakeem Olajuwon - Was for a while the best big in the game bar none and carried that Rockets team to back to back titles.
    11- Karl Malone - The Mailman! His longevity of domination puts him on my team.
    12- Dominque Wilkins - If the crowd is getting bored with our 100-25 blowouts you can put Wilkins in for a few retarded dunks to get everyone back on their feet.
  9. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Jul 1, 2010
    Strictly limiting this list to the players i've layed my eyes on in my near 24 years of living...

PG - Jason Kidd - In his prime the Kidd was amazing, especially in his Nets finals runs
    SG - Michael Jordan - Goes without saying
    SF - LeBron James - Greatest passer and slasher i've ever seen. Also best combo of size and speed i've seen in sports (outside of maybe Vernon Davis)
    PF - Tim Duncan - He would honestly get my #1 PF of all time as well
    C - Shaquille O'Neal - Shaq Diesel just rolled heads in the paint. Couldn't be stopped

6 - Scottie Pippen - Amazing defensively and could still get his on O
    7 - Kobe Bryant - Simply put, amazing
    8 - Dirk Nowitzki - Great scorer that has a jumper that is virtually impossible to block when facing up
    9 - Patrick Ewing - Silky smooth for a big
    10 - Grant Hill - Injuries robbed this man's career of being one of the all-time greats, but i'll give him his due
    11 - Steve Nash - Frequently shows that he does not need any kind of talent on his team to be effective
    12 - Shawn Kemp - Simply for entertainment value. Best in-game dunker i've ever seen.

Looking at this, my team is pretty defensive.