Dru's Season 3 Power Rankings - Preseason

Discussion in 'After Midnight' started by Dru50, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

After Midnight
    GMONEY 15

So I decided to download the rosters and do a bit of a deep dive into the position strengths for all the user teams relative to each other. See below for the criteria I used:

QB - This one was simple, I looked at each teams starting QB only (or the highest rated QB on the roster if I wasn't sure who the starter was). QB's were generally ranked by their talent level, but in the case of closely OVR rated players guys who were returning starters got a bit more consideration.

HB - Analyzed the top 2 rated HB's on each team.

WR/TE - This group was analyzed together since there is such a dichotomy on how each team runs their offense. To try and get a broad flavor, I looked at the top 3 WR's and top 2 TE's for each team to get a composite score.

OL - Since line injuries are very rare, I looked at the best C, best 2 G's and best 2 T's on each team, with the assumption that would be the starting lineup.

DL - Similar to the OL, the DL was analyzed by looking at the 2 top DT's and 2 top DE's for each team.

OLB - Analyzed by looking at the top 2 OLB's and top 2 MLB's for each team.

CB - Analyzed the top 4 CB's for each team.

FS/SS - Analyzed the top FS and top SS together for each team as a tandem.

On to the rankings. I'll look at position by position first, then follow with overall offense and defense rankings and finish up with predictions for each team.

QB Rankings (comments not included for guys I knew nothing about):
    1. TAMU - BBJ may hate him, but you can't really argue that Johnny Cheeseball is the best QB in the game. 93 speed, 97 acceleration, 92 THP, 94 THA. Just sick.
    2. ND - Fountain is a beast.
    3. FSU - Coker isn't too much of a step back from Winston.
    4. GT - Armstrong is a 3rd year starter and a dual threat who got better passing as the year went on.
    5. Clemson - Kelly is talented, but like many user QB's was plagued with INT's last year.
    6. Virginia - Brown is another 3 year starter who's been a Heisman finalist the past 2 seasons.
    7. LSU - Meyer is rated high thanks largely to having 99 AWR, but he is unproven and hasn't performed in the past when given the chance.
    8. Alabama
    9. Ole Miss
    10. Florida
    11. Va Tech
    12. Georgia

HB Rankings:
    1. Alabama - Yeldon and his backup both came back. Ugh.
    2. ND - 2 guys rated 90+.
    3. Va Tech - This may be a surprise, but Boom returns two studs in the backfield.
    4. TAMU - No shock that the Aggies are loaded with skill position talent.
    5. Georgia - He lost one Heisman winner and still has another coming back.
    6. FSU
    7. Florida
    8. GT
    9. Ole Miss
    10. Virginia
    11. LSU
    12. Clemson

WR Rankings:
    1. Alabama - Returning the top guys at WR and TE. Most balanced group in the nation to me.
    2. TAMU - The WR corp here is ridiculous and actually goes 6 deep.
    3. Va Tech - A lot of talent at the skill positions in Blacksburg.
    4. Florida
    5. Florida St
    6. Clemson
    7. Georgia
    8. Ole Miss
    9. Ga Tech
    10. ND
    11. LSU
    12. Virginia

OL Rankings:
    1. TAMU - This is a recurring theme, TAMU is freaking loaded on offense.
    2. ND
    3. Clemson
    4. Georgia
    5. LSU
    6. Virginia
    7. Florida
    8. Ole Miss
    9. Alabama
    10. Ga Tech
    11. FSU
    12. Va Tech

DL Rankings:
    1. TAMU
    2. Alabama
    3. Ga Tech
    4. LSU
    5. Florida
    6. Va Tech
    7. FSU
    8. ND
    9. Ole Miss
    10. Clemson
    11. Virginia
    12. Georgia

LB Rankings:
    1. ND
    2. Florida
    3. FSU
    4. LSU
    5. Alabama
    6. Ole Miss
    7. Clemson
    8. Ga Tech
    9. Va Tech
    10. Georgia
    11. TAMU
    12. Virginia

CB Rankings:
    1. Va Tech
    2. LSU
    3. Alabama
    4. Georgia
    5. Ga Tech
    6. FSU
    7. ND
    8. TAMU
    9. Florida
    10. Virginia
    11. Ole Miss
    12. Clemson

S Rankings:
    1. Florida
    2. ND
    3. FSU
    4. Va Tech
    5. Ole Miss
    6. LSU
    7. Clemson
    8. Ga Tech
    9. Georgia
    10. Virginia
    11. Alabama
    12. TAMU

2. Dru50

Overall Offensive Rankings:
    1. TAMU - This isn't even arguable based upon talent. bringbackjimmy is loaded everywhere on offense, and honestly if he doesn't score 40+ points a game he is doing something seriously wrong.
    2. ND - If the young WR's step up this offense will be very dangerous.
    3. Alabama - Youth at QB and OL should be greatly aided by arguable the best skill position talent there is.
    4. FSU - Lots of new starters but Florida talent in abundance.
    5. Clemson - If MexiRican35 can lower the INT's he should make noise with this group.
    6. Florida/Georgia (tie) - Florida always throws, Georgia seems to always get big plays running outside. Both offenses will likely use user ability to overcome some talent deficiencies.
    8. Va Tech - Boom29 has talent all over, and his short passing style should offset the youth at OL. Can the OL open holes for the elite HB's?
    9. GT - whygodwhy1111 doesn't need as much talent as others with the fleXbox One scheme.
    10. LSU/Ole Miss/Virginia (tie) - Each unit is hurt by youth or lack of talent at several groups. Can the coaches scheme to cover up the issues?

3. Dru50

Overall Defensive Rankings:
    1. LSU - The Tigers don't have the best individual group anywhere and their highest group rank is at LB (ranked 2nd), but they are the only team that is in the top half of users at each group.
    2. Florida - Crazy talent at S and LB.
    3. ND - Same as Florida.
    4. FSU
    5. Va Tech
    6. Alabama
    7. Ga Tech
    8. Ole Miss
    9. TAMU
    10. Georgia
    11. Clemson
    12. Virginia

4. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I only have 5 returning starters this year. Gonna be interesting to see how all these new guys play. I'll be starting at least 4 true freshman.

5. Dru50

The freshmen I saw that you are starting look solid, and it seems like Saban left you some nice depth to step forward into starting roles. Teams are going to have a hard time matching up with your skill position guys that is for sure.

6. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

Its pretty funny when I run FB dive against most user teams. Half the time my FB is instantly tackled for a 2-3 yard loss. DT will shed my guard right away. My Oline blocking is less important on Option plays.