DT Weight Restrictions

Discussion in 'The Trifecta' started by GoGators, Mar 11, 2010.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

DT Weight Restrictions

I just noticed Dru's post about the new rule last night, and I would like to discuss it. I didn't think anything of it when I read it initially, but then I checked my depth chart and noticed I had a guy that violated the rule. I didn't move the guy to DT due to the speed, I moved him to DT because he was a much better DT than he was a DE.

The reason I moved him was he was approx a 73 overall DE but he was an 88 overall DT. He is 6'3 or more and weighs approx 265 lbs. He has speed of 81 but I really don't think that's that big of a problem. In Southern Exposure, we have a recruit this season who is 6'6" 280 lbs and has B- across the board, speed included, and he's a DT.

I can see where you're coming from on the rule Dru, but there's other DT's in the game that are faster than 75 speed. It appears that 82 is as fast as they come, at least that's the case in the SE dynasty where we are in season 5.

Also, I find it interesting that we would be the only league with this rule. I can fully understand not playing a guy at DT with 80+ speed if he was rated poorly, but the overall rating on this guy makes DT seem like his best position, so why shouldn't I be allowed to put him there so long as he meets the weight requirement?

If I can't use him at DT, he won't play since he's not good enough at any other position, and that doesn't really seem fair with some of the other heavy hitting teams we have in this league. I'll leave the decision up to you though, I've made my case.

2. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

OK, I will explain my rationalle to everyone, but first off, I'm not sure which player you are talking about on your roster. I went back and looked at the rosters when we did position changes and it looks like all your DT's were good. Please advise which guy you mean (you can do via pm) and we can discuss further.

My thinking on having a speed restriction at DT is because there is one at most other positions where speed can be an overriding factor (such as FB, TE, DE and LB). Quite frankly, a speed DT is far more disruptive than a strong DT since the OL play is so poor. You are correct that there are other DT's with speed over 75 (about 45 out of probably 500 in this years roster), but there are also FB's and TE's and DE's with speeds higher than the limit. The intent (as you know) of the position change rules is not to prevent someone from having a player with speed above the rule, just to prevent someone from moving a player to that position and take advantage of the speed. Why it hasn't come up before I don't know, but I do know it is a slippery slope that has the possibility for abuse, because if a cap isn't in, people could just start recruiting big LB's and DE's for DT because of the speed.

If enough people feel strongly about this we can discuss it and I am willing to shift the speed number up slightly if enough people feel it's warranted. The more I think about it, there should also be a strength minimum as well as a weight minimum to be moved to DT, so that could be discussed as well. Once this came up (and it has in another that I've been made aware of) I wanted to nip it in the bud here since we were only in week 1.

3. GoGators

The DT I'm talking about is Rob Trigg. It kind of sucks if I can't use him at DT because if I put him back to DE, his ratings, especially strength get jacked up. Which again, is another thing EA has done that makes no sense to me.

4. Dru50

When did you move him to DT? Wasn't he a DT last season as well? If you did move him he was below the weight minimum anyway (263 lbs) so that is a whole separate issue.

5. GoGators

Maybe I didn't move him. It really wouldn't of made sense to move him to DT since I was short handed at DE to begin with.

6. Dru50

I really don't think you moved him. He was a DT last year and in the offseason right before position changes.

7. GoGators

Awesome. Then that S.O.B is going back into the starting lineup. And don't go crying when I kick your ass this season either Golden Thumb!

8. Dru50

Shouldn't you win a user game in the Big East before you talk this much smack?

:cool: