Dynamic Player Performance Demystified

Discussion in 'Madden NFL Football' started by Shaun Mason, Jun 3, 2013.

1. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  2. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Nice article, Shaun. Just curious...

• Is the DPP system strictly quality based, or does quantity factor into the trait based rating determination throughout?
    • Is the effectiveness of trait based ratings affected differently by user and/or CPU control?
    • Will we be able to adjust the effectiveness of traits with the CFM sliders accordingly?

Thx in advance if you are able to answer. (y)

3. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:

1. I'm not sure what you mean, you'll have to clarify.
    2. Traits adjust ratings, so traits that are overridden by user control (QB Awareness for example) will obviously be less effected. I hope I'm understanding your question.
    3. No, traits are not adjustable.

4. Raidernation

Raidernation I can show you better than I can tell you

5. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:

Confidence is based on past performance in games. Hitting your goals and such.

6. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Thanks for the reply.

1. You touched on it in your response to Raidernation. Basically, I was wondering if the DPP system would translate the same for players that performed well in terms of quality, but perhaps didn't accumulate a large quantity of stats. For example, would the DPP result be the same for a winning QB who went 7/10 for 125 yds and 1 TD versus a winning QB who whent 16/25 for 265 yds, 2 TD, and 1 INT? Based on your reply, I can only assume that traits will be affected by goals; some of which are entirely unrealistic from a league standpoint, but that is a different topic of discussion.

2. You answered the question.

3. Understood.

7. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Yes or No trait is a Boolean.

Solid article Mr. Mason, very informative.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dakota7

I find it odd that dlineman aren't affected by clutch. How many times did Reggie White win a game with a sack or QB pressure?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:

They are AFFECTED by clutch, just don't have it as a trait. The QB's clutch applies to them.

10. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:

Those goals were tuned for Madden 25 per our feedback I believe.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:

I actually had "boolean" in the article and took it out per our discussion last week. Good memory.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Raidernation

Seams they got beef over at OS Mason, we goin to war? Ill put the net goons on em!!! :ninja:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

But you can buy clutch for d-lineman so what am I missing here ? Are we saying some traits that can be purchase have no effect on anything ?

Also , was there any rhyme or reason why EA does not give us normal folk the explanation of what these traits do ?

Not trying to post a loaded question or complain I just wonder if these things are intentional or not.

14. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:

a.jpg

Seriously though, they've complained themselves into irrelevance. I'm not claiming what this article is even new information; I just thought it would be a good topic to clarify.

My plan going forward is to be more involved trying to write articles like this. I'm open to topics to discuss, even if it is from OS trolls like NDAlum. :)

• Like Like x 2
  15. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:

Pretty much all of this information was given out in a Playbook for Madden 12 Dan, if you search for it you can find copies of it over at The Gaming Tailgate.

I can't answer to why you can buy traits that don't apply, if that is the case.:)

16. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Funny thing is if he joined TMFL, he'd never look back.

17. Black Republican

Black Republican TMFL Commish -- **ISYMFS** --

Great write up, very informational !

• Like Like x 1
  18. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:

I can't help what other people think. Even if 95% of people hate the article, if I teach one person something it was worth the time investment for me. I know what our community does well and the guys who know me know my intentions are good.

You know what is awesome about TSO relative to OS? I can post this in response:

:D

• Like Like x 2
  19. dakota7

My comment was poorly phrased. This is what I meant.

20. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

Great stuff Shaun. Some of it clarifies what I think a lot of people were thinking, but there's also a couple of things defensively that I had no idea about how it affected them completely. I appreciate it.

21. Raidernation

Haha then we need a hate button!! Real vid tho.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    NDAlum

Since I'm banned at OS and can't defend myself: This article is actually written to be on Bleacher Report, the audience is much wider than the hard core of OS and TSO, hence it's content.

23. NDAlum

NDAlum Walk On

Shaun,

I felt as though the substance of the article was common knowledge. As a poster in here let me know, it wasn't. I assumed incorrectly. The title was misleading to me because I was expecting an in-depth looking at player traits and how attributes play into them. I was disappointed when I read an article that was recycled information. Apparently I expected too much.

If you have the inside knowledge and can answer questions pertaining to how ratings & attributes play into player traits I will be lining up to "Like" your posts and give you credit for some excellent work. That's the information I want. It currently isn't out there and is a hot topic for people who play Madden.

What's the difference between a DE who has 99 FMV but no swim move trait compared to a DE with 64 FMV but you buy the swim move trait?

I could go on and on about different variations of my example. I know that is the "mystery" to me.

I called the article an "attention grab" because I read the title and got excited about the possible content. When I read the article I was severely disappointed it was all previously known knowledge. To me it was the awesome headline meant to draw people in and it worked on me. It's a smart move! Put a flashy title and bring as many people in as you can for your audience. You run a website it is your job to get as many people viewing your article as possible.

To me there is a large difference between calling an article an "attention grab" vs calling the author "an attention whore". At no point did I do the latter.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:

You are correct, my job is to generate traffic on some level (though I am really not the "content" guy here, but I'm trying to help out).

I also try to look through a different lens, a tiny subset of the Madden fan base have knowledge that you and I have. I'm trying to pull in THOSE people right now, because the hardcore guys already know who TSO is. Those people are the ones who will find that information useful. I'm sorry your expectations were different, but you have to know your audience. I didn't link over to OS.:)

Anyway, I'm happy to answer questions that I can answer. You example...I don't have a good answer to that. The question is too broad for me to even ask the development team.

What do you mean...how does the frequency of swim moves success change as the rating scale slides up?

25. HoundsOfHowl

HoundsOfHowl Feed Me More....Football

"That Shaun Mason guy he just wants to get attention."

BTW most helpful insight I've had to these traits, good write up. Very helpful

• Like Like x 1