E-League Difficulty Settings

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Archie Griffin, May 17, 2009.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

E-League Difficulty Settings

[​IMG]

I think it's about time we discussed the difficulty settings we're going to put in place. Now, it's silly to think we can discuss sliders and things without the game, but we can discuss the league philosophy in regards to difficulty. Here's how I see it:

We want a sim experience. To me, that means a number of things. Given the fact that we are all choosing teams from a number of different conferences, it is going to be very difficult to spread user games evenly, and I don't want to be manufacturing odd match-ups that wouldn't typically happen in the real game.

This creates two issues: First, some guys will play more user games than others. With championship games in some conferences, and some guys playing no conference user games, this is going to happen. We can aim for a bit of balance, but we're not going to get it. The best we can do is try.

Which brings me to my second issue - we must have a viable CPU. And by viable, I mean dangerous in almost every week. I have a couple of ideas about how we might achieve this:

1. Weekly discussions about difficulty. We should talk about scoring, defense, and adjust as we go.
    2. Potential restrictions on gameplay, including user catch and user pick. I know this has been a hot button issue in the past, but as long as we're putting up 50+ a game, we need to put the clamps down on something, and frankly, I've never seen a user catch that looked like a real play.
    3. No moving multiple individual players before the snap. This kind of thing really stymies the CPU O-lines. If it isn't fixed, we'll have to adjust this.
    4. Possibly restricting the use of the FS. When our guys are all 1-12 in the Thorpe award voting, there's something off. Maybe a FS on 3rd down only kind of thing.
    5. An increased difficulty setting when conference play begins. Some start earlier than others, but we could do a Week 5 across the board kind of thing. I see this as a sim thing we should have done in the past.

These are just ideas, and we may not need any of them. They're just an example of the kinds of thing we can expect if we do nothing but blow teams out every week. A viable league in the long term means we all get beat from time to time. Winning it all should mean we have to win 13 or 14 games, not just three or four, which is all the real danger we're in right now.

I think we should adjust the difficulty based on the success of the entire league as a whole, but with special attention paid to the guys who are lighting it up. Big stats will equal league-wide adjustments. Guys who use go-to plays and gimmicks will "ruin the curve" so to speak, for everyone. If this happens (and it will) and the complaints come (and they will) I will direct those complaints to the curve-busters. The scores are coming down, one way or another, and we will become a self-policing league, one way or another.

How do we feel about this?

AG

2. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

I'd agree with much of what you said. I like restricitng player movement before the snap on defense ("player lock") and user-catch. User-pick I'm not sure we can do much about.

Not sure about increasing the difficulty for conference games either. I'd rather find the right difficulty setting so that it works for every game. The CPU automatically makes Rivalry, Championship and Bowl games more difficult, so I think that's enough as long as our settings are difficult enough as is.

3. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

I like most of those ideas except the FS restriction.

4. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I like playing the FS myself, but we end up with other-worldly stats. If there were a way to tone it down just a bit ...

5. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Part of why user controlling safeties was so successful in '09 might have to do with the speed curve. Might be toned down in '10.

I agree with the philosophy of making the CPU games as challenging as possible. Getting recruiting right from the get go is as important as anything.

I forget the name of the feature, but there's going to be a button this year to help with positioning for user defense. Might combat the user catch. Might not, we'll see. I think something major would have to change before I'd be on board with eliminating user picks. I don't know that I got more than 2-3 the entire time playing '09. I'm not good at it. I think it's a skill that should benefit guys who can position their defenders well. User catch is borderline, we'll have to wait and see on that one.

As far as scheduling, I don't mind scheduling games that would "never happen". ND and Oklahoma just scheduled a series, USC-Ohio State never used to play. New matchups happen all the time. Scheduling gets tricky, especially factoring in conference championships, so I agree we need to just realize that we're not going to have completely balanced scheduled every year. AG shouldn't have to spend hours getting the schedule exactly how everyone wants it at the beginning of the year. I think the most important things are 1. Keeping rivalry games on the schedule, 2. Everyone gets a minimum number of user games each year. We can decide what we want that to be. I'm guessing no less than 2, no more than 4.

6. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

We'll see how the new game plays and all that, but generally speaking I like those ideas AG. Not even really from a functionality aspect, but from what this league will be all about. Not sure that last sentence made any sense, haha...

7. Juggernautblitz

User catch - that little speed burst right before the catch is over the top

Use of free safety - that is an awfully big thing to ban since its the basis of many of the defenses we use, I don't user pick so my FS stats are probably light on picks with an extra couple tackles per game

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

User picks - I think they're just fine, as long as we are playing the guy and making the right read. It's the whole player switch in order to get in position that gets me. If the game adjusts, and the burst goes away, then I'd have no issue with it. Same with the user catch.

9. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

Guys again, I have to jump on and say we can't fix what we don't know to be broken. Taking away the User Pick and playing safety or corner takes away from the game. I've said it before and I'll say it again, letting guys play safety and corner are BIG RISK/REWARD deals. Someone makes a bad read at either position and it's 6. Lets get through the first game before we take stuff out.

10. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

AMP's right. We're jumping the gun. All we really need to know and understand is that inflated stats will be the cause of league-wide adjustments. What those adjustments might be is something we can't possibly know until we play the game for a while.

11. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

Can I get this thread pinned? It's probably one out of a thousand times the post after mine starts "Amps Right." :D

12. Razcalking1978

Razcalking1978 OFFL TeamBuilder Commish

Yeah, good points. Gameplay can be adjusted as we go with no real long-term consequences.

Recruiting, on the other hand, has to be figured out from the get-go.

13. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

I definitely agree about recruiting. It has to be dead on before the first snap of the season.

14. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

If EA does things like they have in the past then this years game will be over the top D much like the change from NCAA 04 which this game reminds me of to NCAA 05 which was crazy D and the short pass was pretty much taken out of the game.

I dont mind user controlled anything except when it busts the AI, such as the speed burst this season or the jet pack where the CPU DB is running to a spot and the user stops and jumps for the pass, thats bs.

The recruiting is going to be toned down as far as speed goes thats already been stated. They have also mentioned they have reduced the amount of true blue chip players and added the negative recruting angle.

We will need a few weeks to see whats been done and improved on and then we can set a level and sliders (if they mean anything).

We can adjust about anything on the fly too if once we do get going if it seems out of whack.

Right now its too early to set anything outside of picking teams in stone.

15. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Agree w/ all this. I don't think AG started the thread to talk about what rules we want, just discuss what the philosophy is going to be around difficulty / stats / scheduling.

What do you guys think specifically about scheduling? I don't mind "non-traditional" matchups between users. I'd like to keep schedules realistic and preserve as many rivalries as we can, but I wouldn't mind seeing us create some new user vs user rivalries, which creates discussion (something this league wants to foster). I think we should always be thinking about ways to create more interaction.

Side note- I'm out starting tomorrow night and not back til late next Monday.

16. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I would love for us to foster new user rivalries, while keeping in-tact the traditional rivalries. I think an Oregon - Miami type rivalry, that always happened early in the season, would be awesome (hypothetically speaking -- no one is going to be those teams).

17. Juggernautblitz

I think user games should be as heavily emphasized as anything in this league and would love to see a lot of rivalries both traditional and non.

18. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

x2. :D:D:D