EA Going full digital distribution...

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by jms493, Jul 3, 2012.

1. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mission/19899/ea-were-going-100-digital

2. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

[​IMG]

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/11463.html

EA: "We Will Be 100% Digital, Period"

Hope you're not afraid of change, Mr. Aging Gamer.
    Analysts and industry insiders have often predicted that the video game industry will eventually become all digital in terms of distribution. Most agree this is a ways off, but EA claims they'll be "100% digital" in the "near future."
    During a Games Industry interview, EA Label boss Frank Gibeau said that although regular retail will continue to be a part of their business, the digital age is nigh. His comments come not long after EA experienced its first $1 billion+ year in regards to digital sales. Said Gibeau:

The good news is that they really won't abandon brick-and-mortar retailers tomorrow. The option will simply be there for those who want to go the digital route. It's just that from EA's standpoint, the fastest-growing aspect of their company is in the digital realm, so the shift is basically inevitable.
    Added Gibeau:
    Hey, so like...remember the GameBoy? I do. It's in the next room. I kinda like it. ...yes, yes, I know; games are vastly superior today. But digital willnever be superior to physical, I say.

• Like Like x 1
  3. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Ugh, hate this. Am I the only one who loves the nostalgia of walking into a game store and buying a new game? Man, I sound like an old man

• Like Like x 8
  4. uncleho

uncleho Walk On

The only real problem is authenticating with EA's servers all the time, what happens when they take old games off of them? I still better be able to play them if I have them digitally.

5. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

The last 5 PC games i have bought have been through Steam. I love it!

6. MartyWebb

MartyWebb C.R.E.A.M.

I'm the same way. The non-sports games I play, have usually been a result from being able to stare at that wall, and look them all over. Ask the guy if he knows about the said game(s), etc. etc.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

This sucks for people with 4 or 20 GB hard drives. Hopefully they don't do this until at least the next generation of consoles.

8. mikedredd

mikedredd Crop Life

actually would like this in fact I wish it was that when I buy my physical copy I am entitled to the digital copy as well. Anyone else who has had their NCAA or Madden disc develop a crack which renders the game unplayable would understand, would have been nice to download the game I already bought instead of paying 60 bucks all over again.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2012
    • Like Like x 5
  9. Coach_III

Coach_III DAWGS

I have to agree. It somewhat like a tradition for sports games I by annually

10. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I would not worry about the discs disappearing off shelves guys. Especially if the next gen consoles come with disc drives. All this means is that all EA titles will be available to download as well as in store from release day. So if you never want to go to a store to buy Fifa, Madden, NHL, TW, or NCAA you dont have to.

Eventually GS will be fuct. If you go into a GS and look for PC games....good luck. Find the smallest shelve in the store in the back. One day.......that is what the console game section will look like.

11. PIG BOMB

PIG BOMB Walk On

I would expect the EA games to go bye-bye from the shelves for a few reasons.

First It prevents you from re-selling the game and having people buy it used ( a transaction which EA makes no money).

Secondly EA will basically make twice as money off the games by continuing to charge full retail price.

Third EA can continue the industry trend of selling games in pieces and making even more money by selling parts of the as DLC.

12. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

The majority of the cost of the game is in development and advertising. You can think of the physical release discs and case seen on widely frequented shore shelves as partly and advertising cost. They wont make that much more by saving on packaging.

Most of the DLC is additional stuff they only worked on because they could possibly make extra money. If there wasn't DLC, then we most likely wouldnt have had it at all. Some of the graphical skins and stuff they sell as DLC is a bit much, but if people like it then they will make it.

Right now, the level of market penetration for digital only isnt there yet. It would hurt the sales figures. You still can't beat the sales from having a shelf space presence at Gamestop or Wal Mart. This next generation will shift more towards digital, but it will be both digital and physical copies of the big games especially.

13. PIG BOMB

PIG BOMB Walk On

How much does EA sell Walmart the game for?

Typically retail is half what the customer pays, so assuming the game industry is no different Walmart get the games for $30 and sells them for $60.

Well now EA will get all $60 which would be a huge boost in revenue.

Am I wrong in thinking this?

14. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Retail stores dont get that big of a cut on software. Retail games get people in the store, then they sell the accessories and other items for more of a profit. Gamestop makes a lot more on used than new games.

You know Steam, Sony, and Microsoft gets their middle man cut on digital releases too right?

Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  15. PIG BOMB

PIG BOMB Walk On

interesting -

i like having a disc but i dont really care either way - but i do miss good user manuals, man back int he day Madden used to give you player ratings chart and all that fun stff

16. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

manuals are gone for good, 'Environmental reasons' but that is probably a cost cutting measure. That and not that many people were actually reading them anymore... All the in game tutorial stuff these days

17. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

Those were the days!

I read them :( haha

• Like Like x 1
  18. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

The next gen xbox console is rumored to be fairly close, so I wouldn't be shocked if they started it up when that released. As long as there's still an option to buy a physical disc then I'm happy. There are certainly people who prefer to download and thats fine, but I kinda like having the disc since it still has some resale value when I'm done with the game.

19. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I thought I read somewhere that the next gen consoles won't have disk drives at all. If that's true then we could see this change as early as late 2014. The game developers are going to go this route as the combat against the used games market, which they get no money from.

20. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

No....the next gen consoles will have some sort of physical media

21. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

This is honestly great. I personally like going into the store and buying a game, but as a prosecuting attorney this is unbelievable. It means it will be difficult to near impossible for someone to shoplift games. This is a huge plus for the manufacturer because they don't have to worry about someone stealing the game at the store. A few years ago the local Walmart decided to do away with the glass casing protecting the games, it was open season for thieves. Finally they put the window casing back on, they must have lost thousands of dollars for removing the glass casing.

22. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

I think they fear pirating more than the shoplifting at this point...

23. gowazzucougs

Well, I am pretty sure the hackers will still find a way to pirate the game.

24. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

I always thought shoplifting hurt the retailer more than it did the manufacturer... am I wrong?

25. gowazzucougs

It probably hurts the retailer more because that is where they get their profits.