EA Sports Online Pass

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by astealthyhippo, May 11, 2010.

1. astealthyhippo

astealthyhippo happy painting and god bless

EA Sports Online Pass

From espn.com

Here's the link:
    http://espn.go.com/espn/thelife/videogames/blog/_/name/thegamer/

Thoughts? I think it's complete crap, but I don't typically buy used games so it shouldn't really effect me. Still, it seems pretty shitty.

2. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

sounds lame.. but i guess they have a point. oh well i dont buy many used games anymore.. so i guess i dont have a place to bitch lol

3. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

it shouldn't bother anyone who is a TF member since most of will be getting the game at the Midnight release or sometime on release day

4. Merih

Merih XBL Gamertag: Ambasa10

It sucks, but I rarely buy used EA games. If you are someone who wanted to buy a used NCAA after the community gives its feelings on the games, that sucks extra.

It seems as if the industry is moving towards these types of practices...

5. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

This is stupid. If game makers didn't put out such crappy games all the time, people wouldn't need to buy cheaper used games. Not to mention that we typically get ripped off. Using EA as an example, we've been paying $60 a pop for next gen games that don't even have all the features that ps2 or xbox had (i.e. formation subs) for $50.

However, if they were really smart, I don't see why they don't just launch the games as downloadable only. This would fix all their problems:
    a) no more used games if you could only download them
    b) save costs of all the materials and shipping needed to package and display games
    c) the reduced use of plastic for games would be better for the environment

It really just sounds like another attempt to solve a small problem rather than being creative and revolutionizing things to truly make progress.

6. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

seems this article hit a spot with you gator

7. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Hahaha, not really. Just adding my 2 cents.

I just wonder about EA sometimes. Have they done anything creative since the early 90's and Bill Walsh? I believe all they've done is throw money around. They buy up-and-coming companies and don't seem to do much in house. It's 2010 and we're finally getting locomotion in a football game when a new developer out of no where in their first attempt has already brought better gameplay physics to the table (Backbreaker). I'm just left scratching my head. If EA never got sole control of the NFL and NCAA football licenses, would they still be the king of football games?

It seems that the story remains, they do enough to get by.

8. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

i agree that they do just enough to get by or keep us interested enough to purchase the game year after year because its the only NCAA or NFL games out there. There should have never been a set back with bring over stuff from older gems to the new ones. if you can through in all the FBS and FCS schools in xbox and ps2 then they should be in the new gems with improvements. i know back in the day i loved building up a FCS school into a prowerhouse program

9. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

just another way for EA to cut out the middle man from making any money and a chance for them to make even more of it. I saw this coming with the online codes that you see alot of games putting on the back of the manual for exclusive content. Madden did it with the online franchise code you need to activate in order to play in an online franchise league.... no code it costs like $15 extra

10. Rudy

Rudy Pumped for NCAA 11

Peter Moore loves digital distribution. That will probably be the next step. Either way this is a way to make more money. Dev costs are up, the used game market is huge and EA wants a slice. Fair or not this is a smart business decision by EA.

11. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Honestly this kind of stuff is going to get more and more prevalent. The game publishers like EA and the console companies are a bit peeved that Gamestop makes heaps of cash selling used games, while not sharing a dime of the profit.

I don't think it'll be that long until you start seeing full blown registration required for games.

12. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Unless you figure out a way to include Wal-Mart in the download plan, you'll never see this. If EA goes with complete downloadable games and cuts game sales, Wal-Mart will shut them out. No company wants to be shut out of Wal-Mart. Its the quickest way to bankruptcy. I'm not joking, not even a little.

13. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

He's absolutely correct. They have to also take sale into account for kids who don't play online as well....the same reason they dump resources into mascot mashup and things of the like. For that reason alone they have to have Walmart. Maybe even more important to them than Gamestop. It would be to me if it was my business.

Also, Electronic Arts isn't a profitable company. I can't remember what their net profits were last year, but in the 4th fiscal quarter (holiday season) they reported a -80 some million dollar operating loss...during the summer last year they reported like a 300 million dollar net loss for the second or third quarter I can't remember which. I do remember it made me make a bitter beer face when I saw it. They do have a good balance sheet when it comes to cash assets though. That stock also used to trade in the mid $50's 5 years ago, and now trades at $17 and change....

So doing something to even up the operating losses they have reported in the last year plus is a good step in my opinion. I wouldn't buy their stock right now and having people say that is never a good thing. For those reasons I support their idea.