Early 2011 impressions

Discussion in 'The Trifecta' started by Dru50, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Early 2011 impressions

Post your impressions of the new game here, along with any thoughts on rules/etc.

2. Dru50

Played a CPU game with San Diego St vs UCLA and won a nail biter 27-24. Game was on AA with default sliders. I really like the way the game played, I haven't tried a game on Heisman yet, but my early impressions are that AA may be a good way to start.

Also, Perry, Brave and I started a test OD just to work on recruiting. Brave is PSU, I'm Miss St and Perry is Nevada. One season in, and Perry finished with recruiting class in the 90's, mine was in the 70's and brave had the 19th rated class I believe. Again, using the AA difficulty on recruiting. I'm starting to think that recruiting restrictions may be the way of the dodo, aside the 70 player limit.

3. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

I played a test game for The Legacy earlier:

Oregon (me)- 21
    USC- 38

Heisman 5 min qtrs

Maybe I just suck at the moment......

First half was slow as I was down 16-0 and never had a chance to establish any offense. Time seemed to fly. I would prefer 6-7 min qtrs. I had trouble running the ball and was force to pass the ball most of the second half. I threw 3 picks (1 pick 6) and had a fumble that was also returned for a TD. So lost the turnover battle -4. Had trouble stopping USC's offense especially the running game. I think they had like 137yds on 22 carries. I did have success with the deep ball. Corners bite on the pump fake. As of now I would vote for AA with sliders, but I may change my mind as I get a hold of the game.

Forgot to mention that I couldn't get much, if any pressure on the QB. In comparison I felt some heat on alot of my throws. On a positive note I did get an onside kick at the end.

4. Dru50

I think that we will likely use 7-8 minute quarters, with the accelerated clock even 7 min quarters felt quick.

5. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

I love it.

I love how you can really feel the difference in ratings of players when running etc.

Also love the way recruiting is, SO much better than that stupid freaking smiling football of past.

I'm digging it. Blows 10 out of the water IMO.

6. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

I can understand a close game playing with SDSU...

I played clemson vs VT out of the box on default AA sliders....And beat them like 34-0 on 7 min quarters. Seriously I am not that good in the game. Dru I think you should try AA with a higher rated school and see how it plays. For me to be playing VT it was wayyy to easy, especially for my first game.

I'm not good with sliders, but AA maybe the way to go with sliders. I could also see heisman.... I think once we have good Heisman, and AA sliders to test we can help you come to a good decision.

In general I love the feel of the game and how it plays. Recruiting I will definitely say AA based on what you and others have reported. No need for Heisman recruiting sliders when AA seems to be getting the job done.

7. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

I had a few close games with Ohio State and a blow out of Wisconsin while playing in my offline dynasty (AA difficulty). The biggest thing I noticed is number of turnovers I have returned for TD or long gains. I think this accounted for half my points so far in this game. The other half would be from my rushing attack. In 2010 running the ball was boring so I'd usually pass 75% of the time. Thanks to Locomotion I love running the ball.

I also played a user game against Perry and beat him. I used Florida and he used Oregon. The game showed late pitches are still possible. Perry did a few of them but he always went down or ran out afterward. One time he fumbled while taking a dive. The game also showed that QB's can now avoid sacks and the day of wobbler appears to be gone (see highlights below).

Brantley escapes pressure and finds late breaking WR: http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/22280734

Oregon's TE makes some nice jukes: http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/22280888

Not your typical 22 yard WR screen pass: http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/22281061

Brantley wrapped up but still gets ball to Thompson for short TD: http://www.easports.com/media/play/video/22281061

As for the recruiting experiment, here are some things I noticed:
    * The CPU will win many recruiting battles, in fact in Penn State dynasty I lost nearly every recruit I targeted
    * Pipeline states are a big boost and getting players out of an opponent's pipeline can prove tricky
    * Competitive recruiting works much better than last season
    * You can't reschedule visits once they are set so choose wisely
    * Don't expect top 150 players to get ignored, if you do not talk with a player he will likely look elsewhere for school choices
    * By week 6 or 7 there will be very few players to add to your board
    * Managing your board is going to be huge, you have to know when to walk away from a lost cause and start pumping time into alternate options

8. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

I played a couple of games with Texas. Overall I like the gameplay much better than '10, but there are some differences I'll have to get use to. I don't care for the new playcalling menu and the game seems to be zoomed out a little farther when at the line of scrimage. I do like the player movements and flow of the game.

I was able to run the ball like a beast, which is good for me since I like to pound the ball, but found it much more difficult to pass.

I ran through some recruiting sims and I agree that management of your recruiting board will be much more important this year than in years past.

Overall: I really like the game and can't wait to get our dynasty started.

9. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I played the cpu once and 1 1/2 user games. I got disconnected in one of them which is why I say 1 1/2.

In the cpu game I scored two defensive td's and a fg to win 17-3 I was OSU v. Iowa

I had a very difficult time passing. I seemed to over throw alot of wide open receivers and was plagued by some drops.

I was able to run on both human opponents and vs. the cpu, which is good for me also since I run alot.

I also noticed alot of drops and alot of fumbles. I am going to get into some recruiting and stuff the rest of the week working on a single team dynasty just to get more of a feel for this game.

I also think the pass rush is a little too strong so far, both from me, the cpu and my user opponents.

All in all I like this years version alot better than last years, but my opinions are all kinda premature until I get used to the way this game moves since it's so much different.

Edit: What I meant was my opinions, not everyone elses. I haven't figured out how to play this game really yet.

10. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

Wow wow wow.... Just played a thrilling game on Heisman

However there still needs to be slider tweeks for playing on this level... Mainly hum pass protection, and maybe hum pass rush...

Clemson 21 Miami 20

Clem QB Rat 148.8 5-17 187 yards 2 TD 1 INT 1 Sack
    Mia QB Rat 133.2 23-34 250 yards 1 TD 1 INT 3 Sack

Clem HB 22 ATT 97 Yards 4.4 AVG 1 Fumble
    Mia RB 14 ATT 54 Yards 3.8 AVG 1 Fumble

Total Offense Mia 307 Clemson 283
    Turnovers Mia 3 Clemson 2
    Offensive plays Mia 60 Clemson 48

Overall the running game still felt very very good. Run defense felt good also. I'm not that great of a passer right now, but I felt the pocket was collapsing a little too fast at times. CPU had a lot of time in the pocket, and I never got to the QB with a 4 man rush...However there were still a lot of passes of target and receivers well covered.

11. Dru50

Shino - were you controlling a DL on defense? I'm finding that if I run a 4-3 and don't control a lineman that the pass rush is non-existent vs the CPU.

12. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

Yea.... I usually control the D-line... minus special circumstances.

13. Dru50

Using a DL so far vs the CPU I don't get many sacks, but I can usually generate pressure to force them to throw. I've been using mostly a DE, but occasionally I've tried the DT with little success (I tend to fall down a lot, kind of like me playing DT in real life back in the day :D).

Something I have found that works is if you call overload blitzes, you can get good pressure that was this year since there isn't as much suction blocking.

14. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

I'm enjoying the game so far. Im 1-1 in user games vs Ryno (loss) and BDSDIGITAL (win) and both games were competitive. I'm still trying to find the right mix of run/pass in a playbook that I like. I seemed to be able to run the ball pretty well in a singleback offense but when I played Nebraska I couldnt run at all till the 4th Qtr but that could be because Nebraska has a great dline. I'm also seeing alot of dropped passes and I havent changed anything on the gameplan so not quite sure if its me or if alot of people are sseeing this. The computer didnt seem to challeneging with AA sliders on default but I havent played the top teams yet so I need to test that some more.

I did find a glitch last night in my game vs BDS. I called a PA HB screen and after my QB did the PA his hand with the ball stayed out and he continued to run backwards about 30 yards and through the endzone for a safety. I pressed every button and nothing and imagine the look on my face WTF!?!? lol. Hopefully this is fixed with a patch soon

15. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Yeah that glitch thing sucks. They gotta do something about that or it could really, really, screw the game up royally.

16. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

Yep.... I've been nervous to call some of those plays because of that glitch.... I'm sure EA will get this fixed in a patch ASAP.

17. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

I agree with you 100% dru.... I tested recruiting with an off-line dynasty last night using Ohio St. I figured it should be easy to put together a top 10 recruiting class.... wow what a challenge. After about week 8 or 9 when most of the top recruits had committed OSU had the 17th ranked class with 1 5 star, 1 4 star and a bunch of 3 star recruits. It was easy getting them, especially since OSU has no bad pitches. The only thing that saved my class were the recruits during the off-season. I was able to sign about 5 top recruits moving OSU to the #3 ranked class in the nation. Besides not going over 70 players I don't think we need any other restrictions when it comes to recruiting.

Also what do you plan the rule to be regarding convincing juniors and transfers to stay?