Early impressions of NCAA '13

Discussion in 'Overdrive' started by ClayRocks, Jul 6, 2012.

1. ClayRocks

ClayRocks Touch The Rock

What are you guys liking or not liking about this years version of NCAA so far? I'm dying here at work for some insight. Can't wait to get home in the morning to fire mine up.

2. BigKing

BigKing Enforcer of Freedom

So far I'm finding it's pretty easy to beat Magoo

3. BigKing

We'll need to decrease kicking power. I think my RBs gets caught up into my lineman often, but something hopefully I can fix. WRs get open easier, dbacks defend and intercept the pass better.

4. Raidernation

Raidernation I can show you better than I can tell you

I agree , I also noticed the the improvement in the interaction between the two. There are more reactions to the receivers cuts in and out of breaks, making their chances of creating some separation better, on the other end they toned down the DB's completely random make up speed. Passing will definitely be fun this year and as equally frustrating on D, the new passing controll allow for more realistic throws IMO. I managed to turn an out route in to a hitch by throwing it down and away with the defender siting on the out. Put that with the new catching animations and I'm happy thus far. As for running blocking seems improved but I truly haven't gotten into my ground game yet to judge entirely.. more soon

Recruiting, I think it is good they took some of the guess work out of recruiting, scouting is a plus in my book and with a needs indicator within the positions tab you don't have to go back to team needs its up front for you. The added attention to team rating is also appreciated Playing style, playing time and proximity to home are what it seems like based on stats (play style) roster build (playing time now changes as prospects sign) and the bonuses now given to closer schools (proximity.) Lastly the newer features in searching for players (which I have ever used) seem useful you now can search my Commitment status interest in schools and tendency.

5. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

Miami (me)- 36
    Oklahoma St. (CPU)- 21
    Default Heisman/ 7 min qts/ slow game speed/ 0 speed threshold.

This game was a one score game through out, with both teams holding the lead. A late int td return provided the wider margin. I played on the slow speed with 0 speed threshold, and the game plays so much better! The slow game speed gives you time to make cuts, find holes, read the defense, and make a play on the ball on defense. On normal speed, often I see a hole or a cut back lane, but I overrun the play or I can't react in time. I also went from throwing 5 picks to 1, because everything isn't as rushed in the passing game. Everyone, please try these settings for a game or two before you pass judgement on them. One thing I'm noticing is the CPU blitzes way too much. Similar to a few years ago where you could gash the CPU with screens, slants, and crosses. They even blitzed on the last play of the half which allowed me to score a 71 yard td. There's nothing we can do about this though.

Total off: me- 387
    Them- 327
    Passing yds: me- 248
    Them- 239
    Rushing yds: me- 37 carries for 139
    Them- 20 for 88

6. BigKing

I've never been a fan of slow game speed, but this year I think it's worth looking into. On normal, I get a glimpse of the hole and then run into one of my lineman because normal this year seems must faster then normal last year.

7. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

If you play on slow with 0 speed threshold it feels more sim to me. Slow gives you time to react, and 0 speed threshold makes elite speed guys feel elite.

8. BigKing

Not sure anyone that has to play FSU wants my elite players to feel more elite.

9. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

I don't want my 90+ speed back being caught from behind by a 75 speed defensive end.

10. Magoo

Magoo Walk On

Zone coverages dont seem to work very well.

11. Raidernation

Honestly I think this years game makes you read the d-lines initial move off the ball in order to decide which gap you hit. I play on normal speed 17 threshold. I've always worked off my O-line while running in previous games, I will say though I have been more successful on tosses this go round.

On a side note juke stick works slightly different. I dont know my HB's elusiveness or juke rating but there is a change, its more difficult to pull off the guy sometimes does a bit of a hop instead

12. Erik the Red

Erik the Red Walk On

I have to say I have found Zone defense works a bit better for me so far (not as worried about defenders just floating around doing nothing).
    There are some bugs when it comes to option (sometimes the running back runs the oposite way when you pitch so the pitch ends up going 5 yards straight back)
    Also playing the computer I was up by 7 with 47 seconds left and on a 3rd and 2 on their own 35 they ran goal line dive to get the first down? they had no timeouts ? was a tad odd.

13. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

The problem with normal game speed is when you follow your blockers and there's no hole, the game moves to fast to find the cut back lane the majority of the time. Slow allows you to follow your blockers, keep an eye out for any cutback lanes or openings, and be able to make the cuts.

14. Raidernation

Nodoubt, I'll have to try it ... might make #7 a Heisman hopeful

15. Raidernation

After getting blanketed by FSU's passing defense I decided to practice some different throws, and I need y'all to try throwing with the left and right trigger hold down. I know in the past there has been speculation that the triggers produce different throws. Now I don't if the results I'm getting are from the slight change in pressure from me gripping the remote differently while holding the trigger or what, but there is a difference let me know what y'all see while holding the left, right and then both triggers. I also was working on my back shoulder fade and its seems that the ball has to be thrown while the button icon is shaded (before he's ready.) Are you guys seeing this too.

16. WreckEm27

WreckEm27 Classless Clown

That is the one reason I LOVE zero threshold.

I haven't gotten the game yet, but when I do I'm gonna check out slow. I'm down with whatever changes make the game feel like a real football game.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Raidernation

Tried the game speed on slow and ........ its slow too slow feels like TV Sports Football on a full stomach, I can't do it. I like the threshold on 0 though, but the game speed is best played on normal.

18. jonskinny12

jonskinny12 Walk On

Finally was able to play the game today. Overall it feels pretty good. I really like the new passing and I'm glad that the option works again. I've got a few issues, maybe the first two can be fixed with sliders or something.

I don't know if it's the kickoff/punt return blocking or the speed threshold, but with the speed threshold on 0 I returned the first 3 kicks of my game with Indiana (2 kickoffs, 1 punt) back for touchdowns. It's not like I did anything special, either. Anyone else had something like that? My CB returning kicks has speed and acceleration ratings of 91. After turning the speed threshold to 10, I didn't run any more back but the blocking wasn't great either.

Some LB blitzes work WAY too well. It's almost like the LB warps to be in between two offensive linemen just after the snap. I've seen it happen both when I and the CPU control the player. Having an inside LB getting through immediately does happen occasionally, but while I was paying close attention it seemed to happen probably 50% of the time an inside LB was blitzing.

Have any of you had any plays reviewed yet? I've only had one so far and there were two problems. First, the grass was almost completely covering the player's shoes. The second thing was just the commentary, but it was funny because as soon as the ref announced the play was under review Brad Nessler said "And this play will stand" and he and Kirk went on about the play before they finished the review.

And, of course, I'm still mad that they switched the damn pitch button and have no way of setting LT back to pitch. It's going to take a while to get used to that.

19. dj illmatic 23

dj illmatic 23 Walk On

Were you playing on Heisman? I've only run 2 back for an entire season.

20. jonskinny12

jonskinny12 Walk On

I started the game on All-American, then switched to Heisman after I ran back the second kick.

21. White Walkers

White Walkers Walk On

I find it very successful for me. Ask Clay.