Early Recruiting Impressions

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by DirtycashDylan, Jul 13, 2010.

1. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

Early Recruiting Impressions

What do you guys think?

As a recruiter first, I don't like it compared to other years. It feels like its been simplified and all the artistry has been sucked out. If last year's recruiting was playing guitar, this year's is pushing play on a guitar track, imo. There is absolutely no point in playing with a small team with only 1 or 2 good pitches.

On the other hand, I was bringing in perennial top 5 recruiting classes last year with SMU so maybe this will make the results a little more realistic over time.

I just feel that those of us who put recruiting first have taken a step back and are now in the same boat with everyone else. I guess I should go work on my stick skillzzzz...

2. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

That's how it should be for the 1 and 2 star schools lol

3. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

True. I was passing time with a Western Michigan dynasty and signed the #1 and #6 RB recruits, year one. Everybody wants our leagues to be as "sim" as possible, so maybe this years recruiting will add to that. I actually liked it first go around, but I am old and enjoy simplicity.....

4. jca312

jca312 Walk On

There wasn't really any strategy last year, other than who you were going after. If you pumped enough time into them, you landed them. This year, you have to use recruiting skills to maneuver around unappealing pitches. I like it a lot better than last year, seems more realistic to me.

5. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

To me it make the game more realistic/sim. In past years you could take a 1* or 2* and be playing for the NC in year 3. This year you will have to put in tons of work and actually build from the ground up as in real life.

6. DirtycashDylan

Meh, it just feels like you get 6 rolls of the dice in recruiting this year. Maybe it'll grow on me but I don't think it should feel so boxed in and conventional.

7. DirtycashDylan

So why am I running a 1* league!? haha jk

8. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I like it. If you think about it, if you are using a 2-3 star school, would a potential recruit only want to talk about the 2 things you are good at? No, he'd drive the conversation, and you likely have to hope that what he is interested in fits your school. Realistically, schools in that range should have to get a little lucky to break through and find the talent.

I like the system this year, since I thought the 'I will pump 4 hours into a recruit and the CPU won't so I always win' was kind of lame.

Now how they've rated the incoming recruits is a whole other story. I just simmed through a full season and signed 11 3 star recruits with Miss St. All of them are rated 67 or lower. That is going to be what will really be interesting as leagues progress, as there seem to be very few impact players in these recruiting classes.

9. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

The recruiting classes in this game should mirror real life and I think we are headed in that direction. It should take an act of God for FAU to land a top 5 player in the state of florida.

10. DirtycashDylan

agreed but they could've just fixed that glitch and continued to make last year's recruiting tougher. I just hope I can grow into it cuz right now I feel like they changed it to just make it different.

11. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Personally I dig it.

No more random ticks of the clock. No more spending 40 minutes to find out the guy doesn't give a shit about your schools tradition.

And while I see where you're coming from with the rolls of the dice, that's where your "change the subject" or make a promise cards come in. Plus now once you find what the guy wants most it isn't six weeks of just pitching it to him repeatedly.

And of course your recruiting doesn't revolve around trying to dodge an angry football face.

12. bfruchey

bfruchey Walk On

I mentioned something like this in another post. I'm not worried in the least because take a look at some of the small schools roster and player rating. I feel they're way down from last year just like it should be. Some of these small schools have their best players ranked in the 70's whereas last year, they would have been in the 80's. so when you look at it that way, it's right on pr with where those schools are at. So I guess those ratings for the recruits sounds fine.

13. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

Here's some baseline recruiting info if anybody wants to nose through it. I'll be doing some stuff with it tomorrow at work if I have time ...

http://www.blygilmore.com/Recruiting.xls

the big thing i noticed is there doesn't seem to be the same kind of jump later in players careers. The per year increase is pretty steady at an average of just under 3 with the most 6.

So based on this, the average player is going to graduate 10 points higher overall than he is when he comes in. So that 67 you're talking about will likely be a 77 senior - which i'd say is on par for smaller school's starters.

One interesting thing i noticed was USC recruiting two top notch QBs and having them both finish over 90 overall.

14. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

Good stuff Bly!! Everything seemed correct, and how I would expect it too be. There were a couple players who made some nice 16 point improvements, and some who hardly improved at all.... Overall I'm really liking recruiting/progression this year.

I know there are a lot of leagues this year who are rebuilding or who are Climbing the ladder (Shout out CTL) with programs this year. Even on AA this is going to be a bigger challenge than most of us probably expected. Your going to have to consistently recruit amazingly, and win to take your program to another level... should be fun.

15. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

This...... I know if I was being recruited IRL the program would not dictate what we talk about on the phone. Me being the recruit would be asking the questions...There is going to be a lot more strategy involved in recruiting this year on so many different levels. Which is how it should be.

16. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Well IRL if I was the recruit I wouldn't be asking questions about topics that I have low to average interest about. As a matter of fact the first topic I would ask about would be the one Im most interested in.

17. Shino45

Shino45 Walk On

True..... So maybe my statement was a little flawed.