Earning Our 5* Recruits

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by JerzeyReign, Feb 20, 2010.

1. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Earning Our 5* Recruits

Just a thought:

What if our play on the field determined our ability even more for those precious five star recruits? What if a winning record vs. rivals, CC, BCS Bowl, NC apperance/win determined our recruiting fate? That would make it a little more interesting IMO, especially in a season like this (24 5 stars I think). It can also help schools like myself and USF against a big school, in this case, Florida. It could also hurt a school like myself with the bigger recruits if I can't recruit the big fish because I haven't proven myself against the other schools in my conference.

I don't know if it's a TF rule that can be adjusted but it would also allow the successful users the opprotunity to have more than just five 5* recruits. Almost a reward system. A school like UNC could become a true powerhouse based on their current run in the ACC. Or even USF/Pitt can recruit like the big fish (or at least have the opprotunity) to become BCS Chaos powers. Meanwhile us average joes have to settle for the good but not great talent until we pull off that "unexpected" season.

Like I said it's just a thought and I haven't really thought out a fool proof (so I don't confuse Florida) system that would work but here's a rough draft:

All users can recruit/sign 2 five star recruits

Winning record vs. rivals: 1 five star
    CC: 1 five star
    BCS Bowl Bid: 1 five star
    BCS Bowl Win: 2 five stars
    NC apperance: 2 five stars
    NC win: 3 five stars

So at max, a user with a very successful season could have up to 8 five star recruits. A nice little pat on the back for a successful season because as we have seen it gets a little chaotic here in Chaos, lol. A user, like myself, shouldn't be able to recruit the same amount of talent as Florida (who's staring at back to back SEC championships) IMO. This will separate us a bit and make user in conference games worth even more because it could keep someone out of a championship and out of a recruit.

I think this will turn some of us into powerhouses and keep some of us on the fence instead of us all becoming powerhouses at the same time. Obviously this cannot work for this season. And I'm not trying to switch up anything just tossing a topic out there.

Your thoughts??

2. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Check out Victory Road..

we have similar rules..

One suggestion, remember that there are recruiting limits in order to level the playing field for the CPU. So try not to take too many 5 stars out of the equation for the CPU, no what I mean?

3. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Yeah in my offline, I don't even recruit 5 stars and have a ten cap limit on 4 stars. That way when I recruit I have to go with certain areas of expertise. Fast guy as my slot. One coverage safety and the other my big hitter. Makes it fun for me.

But I'll check your league out. I got the idea from one of those career style dynasties rules with the coaches and who they could recruit.. But to my amazement someone on TF has already incorporated it, lol.

4. bigtubb_

bigtubb_ Walk On

Good idea...I like it

5. Maximus21

Maximus21 BCS Chaos - Syracuse

I think if we make it reward based we should start with a lower number than 5 because then there will be very few 5 stars for the CPU. It is a good idea, but I think 8 for one team is too many. Personally, I think that 5 stars aren't much better than 4 stars so it's not really a big deal. You really have to look at their individual attribute grades to see who is good.

6. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I agree, the only thing about five stars are that they develop sooner. Most are damn near maxed for potential in there junior year or sitting really close.

7. BG

BG On The Rize!

I like it! Maybe taking out a few of the perks, like decreasing some of the 5 star recruits for NC win, but concept is solid. howvever, i'm not getting 5 star anything in Tampa!!! LOL!!!

8. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

How about:

Winning Record vs. Rivals: 1 five star
    Conference Championship Win: 1 five star
    BCS Bowl Bid: 1 five star
    BCS Bowl Win: 1 five star
    National Championship Loser: 1 five star
    National Championship Winner: 2 five stars

Everyone starts off at 0 five star recruits allowed. The most someone can have is six five star recruits. Or should it be better if we all can be allowed one 5 star?

Four stars (borrowed from Victory Road kind of):

Your school's current prestige multiplied by two. No limit on 3 stars and below. It won't hurt to much since most of us are at least 4/5 stars and above, so that gives us 8/10 good recruits right there.

I don't know dudes but the more I think about it and go stalk other leagues that do it, it seems like a good idea. Hopefully Jvig will come through and comment.

COMMISH WHERE U B AT SON?? I'm sorry do you speak ebonics? lol

9. Jvigorous1

Jvigorous1 Hokie

I don't like it because I'd have to keep track of all of this LOL.

What if someone goes over a recruit of 5 stars?

The main problem I have with this is the utter domination in recruiting if a team has a perfect season. For example if a max prestige school wins the NC going undefeated he would have the opportunity at (9) :5stars: s to recruit. Most teams have around 4 rivalry games. Since this is already a very high prestigious school getting those 9 recruits wouldn't be difficult. This would mainly be an advantage to the prestigious schools since the lower schools already have a hard time getting more than (2) 5* recruits.

Considering the limited number of :5stars: CPU would be left with nothing since they are already at a disadvantage in recruiting vs a USER.

10. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I actually had a whole page worth of arguments for this system but you have spoken, lol so I erased it.

But what if we changed Bowl Bid to Bowl Loser? Then the max an undefeated season could get you is five... lol jk

I think the topic will come up again once the whole dynasty gets some years of recruiting under our belts.

11. Jvigorous1

Jvigorous1 Hokie

okay we'll see about implementing a reward system. I am always open to suggestions.

12. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

I think the best thing would be one extra 5* for N.C other than that it would be alot to look for. It will also allow the CPU to still be strong

13. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I mean I'd help you keep track of things. Maybe I should explain it better because I was honestly running thoughts together.

Or maybe something different? I really think those teams that are really succeeding on a championship level just need something "special".

I'll get back with you on this tomorrow, it's midnight here, so a little late right now. I think if I could explain this better, with examples, it may work. And I don't know how realistic these leagues are supposed to be but that system may even call you to have to go into a rebuilding year (or a not as dominant one). I think Alabama and myself had those 26 schollies available years. Imagine if half were 3 stars and below.

And the mention of keeping the CPU strong, this system will help the CPU the most. We all won't be able to recruit "the best" talent under this system. Just imagine if we all happen to hit our 5 five star allowance or even just 3. That would be 36 top players snatched away and during a year like this that would mean all the five stars from this class would be on user teams.

Alright gotta stop typing, it's late. But now my mind is racing on trying to figure out a way to make this work. Hopefully something that makes sense to all 12 of us.

PS- Smoking a cigarette right after you brush your teeth is the most disgusting taste in the world, lol.

14. Maximus21

Maximus21 BCS Chaos - Syracuse

I'd also be willing to keep track of this sort of thing. Anything that will make things more competitive and/or interesting is cool with me.

15. NDCOLTS1979

With ur system the problem is WVU will always stay weak and Texas will always stay strong. Look at WVU this year they would have to stay weak and the stronger would continue to get stronger.

16. NDCOLTS1979

Idc either way just like the sliders issues from last season. Now i cant even have a competitive game with the computer. Every game is a blowout and very very easy

17. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Keeping track of it wouldn't be too hard. Just a part of your job as the commish.

I have the guys in our OD fill out what they "achieved" the last season, and then I add it up. You can easily see how many people they signed (5 and 4 stars) in the recruiting headquarters screen where you see "top classes" it breaks it down that way.

18. Jvigorous1

Jvigorous1 Hokie

:rolleyes: really?

19. NDCOLTS1979

lol learned something new today i see Jvig

20. Jvigorous1

Jvigorous1 Hokie

Haha Learn something new everyday ND!

Im just poking fun at you Murk, Something we do a lot of here in Chaos. Don't take my comments "seriously".

21. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

No offense to WVU but he has been struggling on the sticks. In real life top recruits would shy away anyway, right? Plus it doesn't just effect him it would effect me as well, I haven't done anything great at Tennessee and according to THE system I would of only earned two five stars this year. It gives a successful program like Pitt the opprotunity to start recruiting in his backyard, maybe even leading to WV to become a pipeline state. As Texas you may have earned 2-3 five stars. Not really making you stronger, IMO.

Now if we include capping four stars to the max of 12 (with 6 star prestige), it leaves some players for the CPU to pick up. Right now I'm at about 10 four stars with at least 5 more scholarships to give. Now if I was in THE system I would only be limited to 10 four stars and would have to go elsewhere (3stars and below) to look for talent. It gives another neighboring school an opprotunity to pick up some talent. It gives a school like USF an opprotunity to grab some good talent from Florida. It limits you from grabbing all the talent from the state of Texas (especially since you have no users in your area).

It also forces some individuals to actually recruit not saying we don't now. But once you know you can't bank on a four star being there and have to go through and actually pick up those three stars and below it'll make recruiting more interactive.

I'm not saying this has to be the solution their is no other way, it's just a thought. I'm not the commish, can't make those calls but like he stated he's open for suggestions. If someone has a solution for an extra challenge for recruiting, I'd think we all would like to hear it. Please speak up because it'll help our dynasty as a whole. We're already the best dynasty on TF and I really want folks to look at ours for a model.

I've been in like 10 ODs so far with NCAA10 and most of them ended up the same way, all the users dominated 4 years in. It gets boring when every user has A+ teams year in and year out.

And this is not my explanation/example post, just a response to ND. And ND I don't mean anything in a serious tone even though some may read certain parts as that. And I know if feels like I'm repeating the same information, I am, but I think once the examples come it'll give everyone a better idea.

22. NDCOLTS1979

If u do this then i say make the sliders more difficult. I have had such and easy road in my 8 cpu games. every game is ugly and nowhere near being even ineteresting. Thankfully i listen to my ipod while playing otherwise i would be so bored with the game. In my 8 games i have played since being back i have outscored the computer 260-57. It would be alot uglier if i didnt chew the clock the entire second half and just run the ball. I was told just wait for a winning streak and the sliders would get harder. I won 7 in a row go into the conference championship and just humiliate another team. The first set of sliders actually made me work for a win and it was nice. The computer never beat me on them but the games actually were close from time to time. The conference championship i won 63-17 and 10 points came when i fumbled the ball on my side of the field and the other 7 came late in the game when i was just playing soft.

23. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Yeah Jvig said he's going to make the CPU harder. We'll probably have to steal another OD's sliders.

24. Jvigorous1

Jvigorous1 Hokie

when you get time post your some examples and we'll roll from there Jersey. My main concern was teams getting too strong but your previous post is making more sense to me.

25. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Proposed System For Recruiting:​

:5stars:Recruits (indicates number awarded)

-Win at least 10 games (1)
    -Conference Championshipship Winner (1)
    -BCS Bowl Loser, excluding NC participants (1)
    -BCS Bowl Winner, excluding NC participants (1)
    -National Championship Winner (2)
    -National Championship Loser (1)
    -Undefeated Season (1)

:4stars: Recruits (indicates number awarded)

-Prestige of school multiplied by 2 (max:12)
    -Winning Record versus Rivals (1)
    -Win Heisman Trophy (1)
    -Break BCS Chaos Record (1 per record; limit 2 per season)

Example Of Offseason Assuming All Teams Win Remaining Games:

North Carolina
    -19 seniors leaving. Plus 3 for any transfers/pro draft jumps. 22 available scholarships.

-5 Star Scholarship Breakdown:
    1. Won at least 10 games: awarded one 5 star recruit
    2. Won Conference Championship: awarded one 5 star recruit
    3. National Championship Winner: awarded two 5 star recruits
    4. Undefeated Season: awarded one 5 star recruit

Total Five Star Recruits Allowed: 5

-4 Star Scholarship Breakdown:

1. 5 Star Prestiged School (multiply number of stars by 2): awarded ten four star recruits
    2. Winning Record versus Rivals: awarded one 4 star recruit

Total Four Star Recruits Allowed: 11

* Now after using the system 16/22 of UNC's potential scholarships will go to highly rated players. He only has to grab 6 average/lower rated players to fulfill his recruiting needs. He had a senior led team, with 6 potential "weak spots" he may have to think twice before automatically redshirting that 4/5 star freshman. Still not a huge dropoff since he has alot of talent that was redshirted this year.

Virginia Tech
    -9 seniors leaving. Plus 3 for transfers/pro draft jumps. 12 available scholarships.

5 Star Scholarships Breakdown:

-Won at least 10 games: awarded one 5 star recruit
    -Won BCS Bowl game: awarded one 5 star recruit

Total Five Star Recruits Allowed: 2

4 Star Scholarships Breakdown:

-6 star prestiged school (6 multiplied by 2): awarded 12 four star recruits

Total Four Star Recruits Allowed: 12

*Don't know if this is playing out beautifully right now but check it out. A senior led UNC has lost most of its' team due to graduation. A young 11-2 VT team has the ability to start reloading (preparing for when all these kids to grad/bolt for draft) with quality players. Only two five star recruits are willing to sign because they are the only ones willing to sit for a couple years. The story basically writes itself, lol. No need for any 3 star and below recruits because the prestige of your school by itself has interested at least 12 top players to fulfill recruitment needs.

West Virginia University-15 seniors. Plus 3 for transfers/pro draft. 18 scholarships available.

5 Star Recruits Breakdown:

-None Earned

Total Five Star Recruits Allowed: 0

4 Star Recruits Breakdown:

-4 star prestiged school (4 mulitiplied by 2): 8 four star recruits allowed.

4 Star Recruits Allowed: 8

*After a rough season recruits looked out of state to play. 18 top recruits will not come to your school after a 2-10 season in real life. But since coach Leo has the gift of gab he still convinces 8 that WVU will be back atop the Big East once again. Get some wins next year, earn at least another 8. His team is very young and instead of a one year quick fix (technically the old system) he'll have to take a couple years to rebuild the Mountaineers back to prominence, with good recruiting it won't even take that long. It's just ten folks have to come from that average level, recruiting becomes important then.

I really hope this made sense. On paper it works like a charm. Hopefully when our league or anyone else that drops by reads this they could spot any flaws in it. Also hoping we can get some feedback from the entire league on the idea. And hopefully the most important mind in the OD sees some promise in the system. But here's my "borrowed" idea and I really hope I explained it well. And to reiterate, this will help the CPU because users will be restricted on how much talent they can take. Some may say, I'm a powerhouse school I should be able to recruit the best. My answer to that is if you play like a powerhouse you'll still recruit like one. Play like ish and you may have to watch a rival/user pluck talent right from your backyard. And also Notre Dame, being an independent, would have to be given a "conference championship" based on a set number of games won or average the wins for all the conference winners and if they meet or exceed that number award him that level.

Any questions, feel free to post. And be real about your feelings because you won't hurt mine, lol.