East Carolina 2011 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by BDSDIGITAL, Oct 14, 2009.

1. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

East Carolina 2011 Season Thread

[​IMG]

This is the 2010 East Carolina Pirate Season Preview.

After last years 2-10 season we are very eager to get the 2010 season underway. Last year was a tough year for the coaching staff and players. Injuries piled up, almost all impact offensive players were hurt for the majority of the season including all three qb's at one time or another, Marquan Brown was on and off the injured list, DeWayne Harris who was our best receiver, etc. That lead to many players that weren't ready to play being forced into action and the it showed in the results.

This year should be a different story. We come back healthy to start this season after adding play makers to both sides of the ball, and with seniors graduating making room for younger, and probably more talented underclassmen to come in and produce.

Offense:

Will be lead by Brian Smith a 6'3 217lb Junior that we recruited (#3 QB) as a Juco transfer. He's got a big arm and is durable. He can scramble and is hard to bring down with just an arm tackle. There was an interesting competition though as Rio Johnson, a Redshirt Sophmore came into camp much improved from last year and is also a 81 overall. Smith will get the start, but if he stumbles out of the gate watch for Johnson to get a shot at it.

We are loaded at RB with Marquan Brown and John Williams splitting carries. Williams is an impact player and more of a 3 yard and a cloud of dust type, where Brown is the big play threat with break away speed. Behind them are two more very capable backs. If there is one thing we don't lack at ECU it's RB talent.

Our Wide Receivers are Solid. Nothing to flashy but the top 3 are 80+ and don't make alot of mistakes.

We are very excited about our Freshman TE Chad Hines. He was a two star recruit, but comes in with hands in the high 80's and we feel he will produce right away. I think he'll be a star in our offense.

Our O line is young and inexperienced for the most part, but they are still solid and should be fantastic in a year or two.

Overall this unit should be 100 times better than the unit that was 116th in the NCAA in total offense last year. The best news is 9 starters will be back next year.

Defense is an interesting group.

The line is packed with speed rushers on the outside including team captain Allen Crowder and Tim Bradshaw. Stephen Perry, a highly touted recruit will also start at DT for us. This Freshman is a big, strong and fast kid that specializes in the Pass rush. We think he's going to be great.

The Linebackers may be the most improved unit on the team. We are very deep at LB and will rotate guys in and out to insure fresh legs. We have 8 that can play well right now. This should be one of the best LB units in the conference sooner than later.

The Secondary should be much improved as well. Freshman Corner Derrick Lemon and last years Athlete Commit Jonas Charles will man the corner positions. I think I'm more excited about Derrick Lemon than any other recruit we've had total. He came in as a 81, he can cover, and man can he hit! This kid is a turnover machine waiting to happen. He comes out of Washington DC.
    We are also very excited to continue to watch the progression of So. SS Alex Rutledge who lb of lb might be the best player on the team period.

This unit is rated a B- and it features 6 underclassmen. We think this unit will be great in the next few years.

2010 Pirates final word:

Good News: We got rid of alot of garbage in the off season and replaced almost everyone that left with better personnel that fits our system well. The schedule isn't too daunting. I think we have a good shot at 8-9 wins this year.

Bad News: Isn't much. Skies the limit. Let's just hope the injury bug doesn't hit us again this year.

Good luck everyone this season.

2. BDSDIGITAL

Game 1 South Carolina @ East Carolina

-Greenville N.C.

This was one of the biggest games in our short tenure at East Carolina. We thought it was important to at least be competitive with this good SEC team. We needed to show improvement from last year.

ECU 51 S.Carolina 34.
    1st 2nd 3rd 4th total
    SC 0 14 7 13 34
    ECU 17 14 10 10 51

One of the biggest question marks coming into the season was QB. That question was answered quickly.

[​IMG]

Brian Smith Ended 22-31 307 yards, 3 TD's and delivered LASERS under heavy pressure and completely carved up the South Carolina Defense.

On one of his TD passes, a 50 yard pass to Fr. TE Chad Hines, he shook off a DT, then threw a STRIKE to Chad Hines with a Linebacker hanging on him.

[​IMG]

In short this kid is the real deal. With the Passing game effective it really made way for the Running game. Brown and Williams combined for 41 carries, 135 yards and 2 td's and just beat the SC defense into submission.

SR Joe Womack ended with 5 catches for 109 yards and two td's including 1 diving catch in the endzone.

FR Chad Hines caught 5 balls for 107 yards and a td in his College debut.

The Defense gave up some points but it wasn't nearly as bad as it looks. SC scored some 4th quarter points and we gave up a punt return for a td. They did force 3 turnovers, 1 pick and 2 fumbles off of big hits. Derrick Lemon absolutely tattooed a SC receiver to force a fumble and Larry McClendon (another big hitting Freshman) forced a special teams fumble in the 1st quarter to help us go up 17-0 in the first quarter and we never looked back.

[​IMG]

This was a big game for us. We needed to start the season on a high note and I don't think that we could've started any better.

Players of the game:

Offense: Brian Smith 22-31 307yds 3TD. All I can say is awesome.

Defense: Allen Crowder 4 tackles, 3 for a loss and 2 sacks, including forcing an errant Stephen Garcia throw that was intercepted.

Final Word:

Good News: Where do I start. The QB question has been answered, and it looks like we're set for the next couple of years. The Defense caused turnovers which is something we didn't do at all last year. We also hung 51 points and 469 yards of offense on an SEC defense. I couldn't have imagined a better start to the season.

Bad News: Here we _____ go again! RB Marquan Brown was lost for 4 weeks with a dislocated shoulder. We can win without him, but the offense is much more dynamic with him. We also gave up 34 points. We'll chalk it up to playing a team lead by Stephen Garcia and RB Enrique Davis, but still worrisome all the same.

Next week we face Kent St. in an OOC matchup.

3. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

nice! I like it..

4. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

Congrats on getting a win man. I knew last season was a fluke. You're team is definitely better than 2-10.

5. BDSDIGITAL

The improvement from last year to this year looks like it's going to be remarkable. It's only been one game, but this might be a great combination of offensive tools, especially for a mid major...it might just work for me, we'll see. I'm looking forward to playing Kent St to see how I stack up against a human defense....Maybe I'll have a shot at the big dogs in CUSA East this year???? :eek:

6. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

I'll be the first to 1ke's team is rediculous and he is so far ahead of the game right now..

5 star cornerback AND HE SAID HE WANTS TO REDSHIRT HIM ..WTH?!

7. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

If you're able to do well against Kent State, you'll definitely have a shot against the CUSA big dogs. The MAC is a better conference user-wise than CUSA. I said it! :cool:

8. BDSDIGITAL

Wow....ok terrific. :)

9. BDSDIGITAL

Oh I could only imagine what he's got going on over there....

10. BDSDIGITAL

Week 2 Kent St. @ ECU

Kent St. 21 - ECU 10. (it might have been 24-10 can't remember)

Either way this was a bad loss.

No pictures this week, I figured I'd let the winner take care of that in their thread.

In short we had success on the ground, and somewhat through the air but the story of this game was Kent St. made big plays to extend drives and we did not.

Simple stuff like:

Kent St. converts 3rd & 22 by 1/2 a yard.
    Kent St. converts 4th & 2 to extend a drive
    ECU gets called for holding on 3rd and inches after a 12 yard run. etc.

This game was marred with bad penalties, a costly turnover by me, and stalled drives. I had opportunities to stay in it, and had I capitalized a few times I very well could've won. Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda.

Hats off to The Shrike. He made the plays he had to make to win and alot of times that's the difference between a win and a loss. He earned the win and I congratulate him for it. I felt I played ok, but just didn't make the plays that would have put me in a position to win.

anyway, next up for us is Georgia Tech, then our annual trip to the Rock. Why do I have to play in Hattiesburg two years in a row BTW? I think it's a game glitch.

11. BDSDIGITAL

Georgia Tech 31 @ ECU 28

Keys to the game:

ECU went 0-3 kicking field goals.
    Georgia Tech made two unbelievable plays. One, a perfectly executed HB pass on 3rd and inches that went for a TD, and one an 80 yard TD run by GT's FB where he broke several tackles. We couldn't get him to the ground.
    Down 31-14 to start the 4th Qtr, we mounted a furious comeback that started with a Derek Lemon fumble recovery for a TD then a 4 minute drive to score again after forcing Tech to punt. Down 31-28 with 2 minutes left we failed to get the onside kick, but used all of our timeouts to force a field goal attempt by Tech that went wide right. With 30 seconds left QB Brian Smith went down the field methodically, finally spiking the ball at the 33 with 2 seconds left. Our Field goal attempt to send the game to overtime went just inches wide right, and I mean inches as the game ended 31-28.

We played really well, and have nothing to hang our heads about. We played a much better team and gave them everything they could handle. We also had several chances to keep the score closer than 17 but couldn't execute field goals, couldn't protect our QB on 3rd down, leading to errant throws, etc. Either way, we did the best we could but came up short.

Next week we travel to Hattiesburg to take on Southern Miss.

B. Smith ended 22-38 286 yards and a TD, with one int. (the interception was an incredible one handed 48" vertical deal by the Tech DB, not bad for interceptions set to 0 ??)

Starting RB, & Impact Player Jonathan Williams was hurt in the 1st half with a mild concussion and will be out 4 weeks. FUCK.

3rd string RB Giovanni Ruffin had 18 carries for 78 yards and a td in relief.

On defense Derek Lemon caused his 3rd fumble in 3 collegiate games. and Alex Allison had 7 tackles, 3 for a loss and 2 sacks.

Good News: We've definately improved as a team. We are fairly deep this year and can handle the injuries that we couldn't overcome last year.

Bad News: We lost obviously. Our impact offensive player Williams is hurt for 4 weeks, but Marquan Brown should be back next week.

12. BDSDIGITAL

Week 5 matched East Carolina 1-2 @ The Mighty Golden Eagles of Southern Miss 3-1(?)

Southern Miss won 35-20 but My Pirates represented well. We were still in the game in the 4th quarter.

I started the game with a pick 6 from super freshman Derek Lemon but then the machine that is Southern Miss got rolling and it was hard to stop. They scored on their next two possessions with relative ease to make it 14-7. We then traded a Eagle TD for a Pirate field goal for a 21-10 score. I had the ball to close out the 1st half and this drive was vital with S.Miss getting the ball back to start the 2nd half. I took it all the way down inside the redzone with time running down, and on 3rd down hit Jacobi Jenkins on a smash route in the corner of the endzone, only to be broken up by a Southern Miss DB. Had to settle for a field goal to make it 21-13 at the half.

Southern Miss ripped our hearts out by housing the 2nd half kick off to make it 28-13.

We made the game 28-20 after a long methodical drive that was capped by a Marquan Brown td to make it 28-20 in the fourth quarter. Then on the Eagles next possession Pirate safety Alex Rutledge hard hit a Southern Miss receiver as he was catching the ball, he flipped over, the ball popped out and Cliff Perryman intercepted the ball at mid field to give ECU new life! (I wish I would have kept the video, it might have been a contender for plays of the month)

I then moved the ball down around the Southern Miss 20 with about 4 minutes to go and on third and long I outsmarted myself with a HB screen. Southern Miss predictably was ready for it a blew it up in the backfield. We went conservative on that play with the mindset of no turnovers! Worse case scenario we leave with 3 and it's 28-23 with about 4 minutes to go. We had already forced a few turnovers and would have definitely had a chance to get the ball back to possibly win this game.

Unfortunately for yours truly we didn't take into account until after the ball was snapped that we ran it to the wrong side of the field :( , and set up a 45+/- yard field goal, on a rainy night from a horrible angle that I couldn't hit 3 times in the GT game. Well shit.

So I went for it on 4th down and 12 thinking I had a better chance to convert it than hit the field goal. Besides, with how much I've struggled with Southern Miss I figured that this was my chance to tie this game and grab a major swing in momentum. Get aggressive and get your TD man!

Yeah, it didn't happen. The Eagle Defense was 100% all over my pass patterns and got the ball back, took it down field and punched it in one more time for good measure to take a 35-20 lead which is what it would end as.

-It's hard for me to complain. After going 2-10 last year my goal this year was to show improvement, have a winning conference record, and become bowl eligible. I'm on my way to doing all three and had you told me before the game that I would be within one score in the 4th quarter I would have told you that you were crazy. Even though I lost I am/was proud of the effort, and happy with that my team is becoming competitive with the elite teams in the conference, and good teams from BCS conferences(S.Carolina, G Tech). Southern Miss is about as good as it gets and we gave them all they could handle.

Good - See above. Derek Lemon continues to make plays. I only have really two tough games left vs. Houston and UCF. Even if I lost both and won all of my cpu conference games I'd finish 7-5 and make a bowl game, which would be fine. 8-4 or 9-3 would be much better though ;) and I know I have a team this year that can compete with both Houston and UCF.

Bad - We lost. At some point these games have to turn into wins. I can sit here and tell everyone that my team is getting better, that I'm getting more competitive,etc. but I still had a chance to tie this game late and couldn't do it. I have to find a way to get over the hump in these games.

Next up for ECU is a home game vs. UTEP to get right before our trip to Houston.

13. BDSDIGITAL

Week 6 UTEP @ 1-3 ECU.

Our backs were up against the wall in this game and we had to have it. This was a very strange game due to a slider malfunction (?) but we prevailed 27-24. I won't make this one very long winded, I did that to bitch about the sliders once already.

Good:

Another pick 6 from my secondary. This time for Soph Shannon Hargrove. My secondary with 3 corners and 2 safties ( Nickle) consists of 3 sophomores, 1 freshman, and 1 senior. They cover routes, they are big and physical and can jam up smaller receivers and make plays, and alot of them. I love my secondary. Brian Smith torched UTEP for almost 400 yards and a few scores.

Bad: I won't go there again.

Next up is a showdown with undefeated Houston.

14. BDSDIGITAL

Week 7 2-3 ECU @ #18 4-0 Houston

ECU pulls off the upset 26-21 @ Robertson Field behind a dominating running game from Marquan Brown and a suffocating, physical defensive effort.

the story of this game was Brown's 37 carries for 174 yards and 3 td's. Brian Smith had a very pedestrian day going 10-13 for 125 yards 0 td's and 0 ints.

The real story of this game was defense. Sophomore FS Alex Rutledge Intercepted a pass deep in ECU territory to save a td, and also caused a fumble with a hard hit that really put Houston behind the 8 ball. Again the secondary came up huge as they have done in all of our wins this year.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4DIXJKlk_Yo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4DIXJKlk_Yo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
    Rutledge forced fumble

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mEMAR7Ybiwo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mEMAR7Ybiwo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]
    Rutledge interception

Houston kept it close, but in the end they didn't get the stops they needed to stay in the game.

Good game York.

15. BDSDIGITAL

Week 8 3-3 ECU @ 1-5 Memphis

This game was nothing more than a tune up for a big game vs. UCF back in Greenville next week. Actually on Defense we sat 4-5 starters and played some of our younger players at LB, Safety, and DL the entire game to see what they had. The secondary gave up some td passes but all in all the defense was still solid even with half of it being our second team. (We're not all about stats here at East Carolina guys) .

Jonathan Williams returned from injury to run for 140 yards and 2 td's and Marquan Brown ran for another 50 yards and a score. Williams also caught 6 balls out of the backfield for another 60 yards. Derek Lemon picked of his 3rd pass of the year, and Tim Bradshaw had 10 tackles, 4 for loss, and 2 sacks (all cpu, I never touched him) as the Pirates cruised to a 41-19 win at the Liberty Bowl.

Good:

We've won 3 straight games. I know that sounds dumb to some people to be happy with a three game winning streak, but going 2-10 last year, then starting out this year 1-3 and this is a great thing. We're trying to build this team back up from scratch basically. I have two all American caliber RB's that can have big days with the rock. When they're both healthy (this is the 2nd game they've played together all season) we are hard to stop on the ground. We also played half of our second team defense for the entire game and they all played pretty well. I have alot of depth on defense. This is going to be a fantastic unit next year, and watch the hell out in year 5.

Bad: We got hit for 3 td passes by a decent qb, but no one special. The theory that the bump and run always works is just that, a theory. The few times I tried to bump Memphis's receivers they blew up my spot, just like Southern Miss did. I won't name names, but one of my higher rated defensive players is about to get benched for good. He's really struggling, but I don't think there's anything he can do about it....I'll get more into that after the UCF game.

Next up for the Pirates is a HUGE divisional game against Central Florida. A win by me could throw the Eastern Division into chaos, giving all three user teams 1 conference loss to each other. After the UCF game I have nothing really worrisome left on my schedule. We also have about a week in real time before this game will be played so that will give me plenty of time to look at UCF and try to devise a plan of attack...but as Mike Tyson used to say, "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face."

16. BDSDIGITAL

UCF @ East Carolina UCF wins 42-13

UCF came into this game and thoroughly dominated from start to finish.

He started out with big plays and I just couldn't catch up. He had a pick 6, a long td run after a fumble, and a kickoff return for a td to pretty much seal the deal in this game.

On the bright side Jonathan Williams ran for 177 yards and as a team we ran for well over 200 yards.

That was it though. Unfortunately for East Carolina, UCF was just too much. They were way too fast, very well coached, and just all around better than my Pirates.

We are 4-4 with 4 games left. We have Tulane, Marshall, UAB, and Fresno St, none of which are within reach of being bowl eligible so if we handle our business the rest of the way we should finish 8-4 and in a respectable bowl game.

Next up for ECU is Tulane, which will be played tonight.

17. BDSDIGITAL

Week 10 Tulane @ East Carolina

In a thriller, ECU prevails 20-16 behind the legs of Jonathan Williams & Marquan Brown.

Tulane gave us all we could handle and then some in this contest. Several Pirate miscues made it easier than it should have been though.

QB Brian Smith had a lousy day going 13-30 for 105 yards and two ints. Luckily our running game showed up again. Jonathan Williams had 28 carries for 147 yards, but was injured on the last drive. Marquan Brown had 9 rushes for 37 yards and each scored our only two td's. Browns TD came with 51 seconds to go to take the 20-16 lead. A missed extra point earlier in the game by Tulane turned out to be huge as they drove the ball but had to score vs just getting it into field goal range. They even had their full compliments of timeouts, but had to adjust their gameplan for the situation. With 20 seconds left Justin White intercepted a pass at the ECU 45 yard line to seal the victory.

[​IMG]

In the end, we moved to 5-4.

Next up is a rivalry game vs Marshall.

18. BDSDIGITAL

Week 11-13

It's been business as usual the last few weeks for East Carolina so we don't have much to write about.

Week 11 saw us beat a very un remarkable Marshall team 38-7. This game wasn't much of a contest and we killed the entire 4th qtr to end it. Nothing flashy, nothing special.

I know Marshall can't wait to graduate that 2' tall safety...

Week 12 was a bye/recruiting week.

Week 13 was another rather un remarkable win vs. the 0-11 UAB Blazers 35-13.

Brian Smith threw for 282 yards a td and an int. The running game really struggled, but for the 2nd straight game the defense was very good. Albeit against inferior competition.

ECU moves to 7-4 on the season and we are currently projected to the majicjack.com St.Petersburg Bowl vs. Notre Dame.

Next Week is Senior Day at Dowdy-Ficklen vs. a hot Fresno State team.

We'll have a write up for that game plus a spotlight of the careers of our seniors!

19. BDSDIGITAL

Senior Day:

7-4 Fresno State @ 7-4 ECU.

ECU prevails 38-7 behind a great showing from our defense.

East Carolina honored 20 seniors before the game as this was their last game in Greenville. Most of the 2011 Senior Class were backups, but there were a few that were really good players that will be missed.

QB DJ McFadden didn't have a great career, but was our 3rd string QB last year and led us to our only two wins coming off the bench.

RB Jonathan Williams has been our best offensive player for the last two seasons. Due to various injuries and our woeful team last year he doesn't have the numbers he should have but he has been very valuable and will definitely be missed by our program.

WR Joe Womack also didn't put up great numbers in his career, but was one of our best weapons the last few years in the passing game. He will definitely be missed

LT Steven Baker was a monster, and our most consistent player period! He opened holes for our RB's every play, and pancaked more cats than the Waffle House. He will definitely be missed, and will go down as one of the best players in East Carolina Pirate History.

OLB's Cliff Perryman and Justin White played their JR and SR seasons and didn't boast huge numbers, but were valuable contributors.

Defensive Linemen Allen Crowder, Antonio Allison, and Austin Bradshaw were probably the best unit on this team this year. We are definitely proud of all of their achievments and will sorely miss all three of them. Allen Crowder is also closing in on the school record for sacks!

The rest of the senior class didn't play much but provided depth to our program and we thank them for their time and effort.

It was fitting that on senior day in front of a rawkus crowd our seniors stepped up and played one their best games of the year, beating a hot Fresno State team 38-7 to move to 8-4 to close out the regular season.

Brian Smith (JR) went 15-22 for 219 and 2 td's, converted a ton of 3rd downs and had a great day.

SR Jonathan Williams had 29 carries for 115 yards and 2 TD's to really control the game.

[​IMG]

SR WR Joe Womack caught a TD in his final home game as well.

SR's Justin White, Allen Crowder and Austin Bradshaw had huge games as well. White had 9 tackles and a pick, Crowder had 3 sacks and Bradshaw had 2 tackles for loss and a sack. The defense played incredibly well today.

[​IMG]
    Interception by Freshman Derek Lemon

Thank you to all of the Pirate Seniors for a great year! Hopefully we can finish your careers on a high note by winning our bowl game.

20. BDSDIGITAL

Bowl Week.

We were privileged to have been invited to the Texas Bowl at Reliant Stadium in Houston TX to face Colorado.

ECU wins this game 30-22 in what turned out to be a good game. We jumped out to a quick 17-7 lead and figured that we would have this won comfortably, however Colorado QB Hansen and the rest of the Buffaloes would not go away quietly and continued to fight back. This game was 17-16 in the third quarter but thanks to the arm of Brian Smith we were able to score a few td's in the fourth qtr to seal the win.

[​IMG]

Brian Smith had another solid day going 14-21 for 238 yards and 2 TD

Jonathan Williams capped of his East Carolina career with a 137 yard day and also scored a TD.

That ends our season at 9-4 and we are winners of 8 of our last 9 games. Even though we are graduating 20 players and have 26 available scholarships we feel that next year will be even better.

21. BDSDIGITAL

East Carolina 2012 Season Preview

[​IMG]

After last years 9-4 campaign we can definitely see light at the end of the tunnel in Greenville. Now that all of the last coaches players have been replaced with real football players, we feel that we have a chance to really start making noise.

We graduated 27 players last year so this will be a very young team with 24 freshman on the roster, and several of them will get game experience this year.

Our offense should be able to produce more points and more yards than it did last year with SR QB Brian Smith and SR RB Marquan Brown. Impact player and team captain Jacobi Jenkins on the outside along with Freshman John Grigsby should make the passing game flow smoothly. Our offensive line is good and still young. There might be a QB controversy from the start however, while Smith played well last year he is a SR and is rated 85 overall. We hve a RS JR behind him by the name of Rio Johnson, who has game experience, is rated 83 overall and is really pushing for playing time. If Smith comes out slow or struggles there could be a real controversy in Greenville.

Defensively we have switched to the 4-2-5 defense to allow more playing time for our extremely talented, and deep secondary that is led by SO. Cornerback Derek Lemon and SR Safety Alex Rutledge. Ty Holmes will be our "Rover" and we are expecting big things from him.

Our front 6 is all new. The only returning starter from last year's team is SO. Stephen Perry who started as a true freshman last year and played very well. They are inexperienced, but they can play.

Our goals this year are the same as every other year. We definitely believe we can win 10 games with this group.

Next year is the year that this program could really take off though with only 9 SR's on this year's team. We'll return 18 starters next year so this year will be huge in terms of getting the younger guys as much game experience as possible.

The schedule has some bumps along the way.

Southern Miss, UCF, and Houston will be very good as usual and will give us a stern challenge. Houston will have revenge on the brain as they come to Greenville to atone for the loss they suffered to us in Houston last year.

Our out of conference games are difficult as well with trips early in the season to Williams Brice Stadium to take on the Gamecocks, and a trip to Blacksburg to face the Virginia Tech Hokies. Also non conference games against Navy's option attack and the Kent Stake Golden Flashes will be difficult games.

22. BDSDIGITAL

Week 1 ECU @ South Carolina

East Carolina prevails in a Monsoon 24-17 over the South Carolina Gamecocks.

The QB controversy is in full effect after Brian Smith throws 4, yes 4 first half interceptions Rio Johnson came in at half time and led us to a victory over the favored Gamecocks on the road.

This game was nip and tuck all the way. South Carolina's impact player RB Enrique Davis suffered a torn abdomen early in this game and will miss 9 weeks. Our 4-2-5 defense played lights out in tihs game. SC capitalized on great field position after turnovers to score 10 of their points and took another int to the house for 7 of them. Other than that they had a hard time getting anything going.

Smith went 7-12 for 69 yards a td and 4 picks in the first half before getting benched in favor of JR Rio Johnson. Rio went 7-8 for 84 yards in the second half and led us to the win.

Marques Mason and Marquan Brown split carries and combined ran for 159 yards and Brown punched in a TD.

[​IMG]

Jacobi Jenkins scored a TD and Freshman John Grigsby had 4 catches for 62 yards.

The real story was the defense, especially our 4-2-5 rover Ty Holmes who had a monster day. Holmes had 8 tackles, 2 for loss, 1 sack, 1 int, and scored a td on defense to lead the way.

[​IMG]

We limited the Gamecocks to 201 yards of total offense and controlled the game. If it wasn't for the turnovers we might have pitched a shutout.

The Pirates are now 1-0 and have a huge measuring stick game next week @ Virginia Tech. The starting QB will be a game time decision.

23. BDSDIGITAL

And we came up waaayyy short

1-0 ECU @ 1-0 Virginia Tech.

Virginia Tech wins 52-17 behind the strength of their running game, and the weakness of the Pirate Defense.

Ryan Williams had a Heisman caliber type day with 18 carries for 180 yards and 4 TDs. His backup D.Wilson had 4 carries for 80 yards and another TD. Combined the Hokie RB's had 260 yards on 22 carries with 5 td's and had TD runs of 65, 65, and 68 yards....they would break a tackle or three and were just gone. VT also returned a kick for a TD, and forced 4 Pirate turnovers.

This was just a case of being outclassed by a better team in a tough place to play.

We go back home next week for a home showdown vs. Navy before facing one of the best teams in Conference USA Southern Miss.

24. BDSDIGITAL

Week 4

2-1 Navy @ 1-1 ECU

We rebounded nicely in week 4 beating Navy 42-23 in Greenville.

SR QB Brian Smith started again and played ok going 12-17 for 130 yards and a TD, the only problem was the 2 first half interceptions. They weren't great plays by the defense, they were awful throws by our SR QB that led to Smith being benched for the 3rd straight game and benched for the last time this year as he has been permanently demoted to 2nd string. RS JR Rio Johnson will start the rest of the year.

We scored 21 4th qtr points behind the running of Marques Mason and Marquan Brown.

We also went 6-6 with 6 td's in the redzone in this game.

[​IMG]

Freshman WR John Grigsby had 4 catches for 69 yards to give him 16 receptions on the year which leads the team.

Brown and Mason had a great day with 164 yards and 5td's and Rio Johnson went 8-14 for 111 yards in relief and will start vs. Southern Miss next week.

[​IMG]

Tim Ross had 8 tackles and 3 for loss and Alex Rutledge had an interception in the 3rd qtr.

All in all it was nice to get back in the win column, but must play alot better next week with Southern Miss coming to town or we will get embarrassed.

25. BDSDIGITAL

Heartbreaker in Greenville.
    We certainly didn't get embarrassed, but maybe it would have been better if we did.

#24 Southern Miss 37 @ ECU 27

This game started with a bang after Southern Miss drove the ball all the way down inside our 5 yard line only to throw a pick 6 to Ty Holmes. We went up 7-0 early and kept the lead for the majority of the first half until we intercepted another pass in the end zone but were tackled at the 1 yard line. Southern Miss scored a safety on the next play, then scored a TD after the free kick to take the 16-10 lead. Rio Johnson drove us right back down the field with time running out in the half and put us in chip shot field goal range to go into the half down 16-13.

With So. Miss up 23-20 at the end of the 3rd qtr Marquan Brown took a screen pass 60 yards to put us within striking distance again. mason punched in a td run to go up 27-23. So. Miss came storming back at the beginning of the 4th qtr, scored again to go up 30-27....

And this is where things went downhill.

After a good kick return to my own 40 with 5 minutes to go we dialed up another screen pass to Marquan Brown that went for about 15 yards and put us in So. Miss territory. It was called back for holding! My starting QB Rio Johnson was hurt on the play as well. So on 2nd and 20 my backup Brian Smith came in, who was benched for his interception problems earlier in the season, overthrew a receiver by 5 yards right into the hands of a Southern Miss Safety. They took it down to score again to ice the game.

I didn't take down any stats but I'll say this:

*If we hadn't thrown that pick I think I would have won this game. Granted there was still alot of time left, but this game just had that feel...like if I would have taken a lead on that drive something would've happened. At the worst I was 15 yards from being in very makable field goal range.

*Kid Robotz is very good, and has a very good football team. Being competitive is nice, but it was very disappointing to lose this game. Disappointing enough to have me seriously consider leaving ECU after next season. The only reason I say after next season is because I return 18-19 starters next year and think I'll have a team that can compete for the conference championship.

Next up is UTEP. We need to have a good game vs. UTEP to get ready for a pivotal game against a hungry Houston team.