East Carolina Recruiting & Game Summaries 2009

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Matrix Monkey, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

East Carolina Recruiting & Game Summaries 2009

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7
    Stars​
    Name​
    Pos Rank​
    Pos​
    Ht​
    Wt​
    Status​
    3[/CENTER]
    Will Smith​
    46​
    TE​
    6'3"​
    241​
    Committed​
    2[/CENTER]
    Robert White​
    86​
    DT​
    6'3"​
    264​
    Committed​
    2[/CENTER]
    Kevin Powell​
    111​
    T​
    6'6"​
    300​
    Committed​

Will Smith - The Fresh Prince of Greenville. Will will help bolster a TE core that needs much more youth.

Robert White - A raw prospect out of Tarboro, NC but can hopefully he contribute in a few years.

Kevin Powell - A developmental prospect from Bolivar, TN who will help beef up ECU's offensive line.

2. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

Week 1 -

ECU defeats Army in an 58-49 offensive blowout!

Neither defense was ready for the season opener and both teams offenses took full advantage.

Both ECU and Army had over 450 yards of total offense.

Patrick Pinkey was awarded game MVP for an impressive 206.0 QB rating throwing for over 300 yards and tossing 2 TDs. He also added 95 rushing yards on 13 carries and 2 scores on the ground in ECU's potent spread/option attack.

3. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

I was shocked to see Army score that much...Must not have been an Army of One.

4. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

My defense had trouble with the fleXbox One triple option attack.

5. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

WEEK 2 -

#20 WVU - 8 @ ECU - 30

Defensive Redemption

After being humilated by Army in Week 1 ECU's defense put on an inspired performance holding #20 WVU's speedy skill players to under 200 yards of total offense and pitched a 3rd and 4th down shutout.

ECU's offensive line stuggled for much of the game giving up 5 sacks including a safety. They were howerever able to overcome WVU's relentless pressure to post impressive rushing number to the tune of 168 yards, almost all coming from Game MVP Dominque Lindsay.

Lindsay racked up 164 yards on the ground on 26 carries for a 6.3 avg with 2 scores.

Offensive Play of the Game:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u4Oq_WAAluE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u4Oq_WAAluE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

QB Patrick Pinkey notices single coverage on the outside and audibles WR Jamar Bryant on a Fly route. Bryant expertly beats the man coverage to the inside for the score!

Defensive Play of the Game:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WFw5GIw1jCU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WFw5GIw1jCU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

DE CJ Wilson demolishes the WVU QB for a sack.

PS: Someone please let me know if these youtube videos work please.

6. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

They work fine.

7. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

I absolutely LOVE those kinds of sacks...Looks like they'd knock the air out of the QB. Sweet!

8. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

LMAO! I just watched that first clip again and looked beyond the endzone. Is ECU's "stadium" just a large patch of grass between a couple of parking garages?!?

9. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

WEEK 3 -

ECU - 30 @ #7 NC - 27

OH MY!

This game was epic. (wish I could have done a huge writeup on this game because it was one of the most intense games I've every played against the CPU, but I got freaked out that if I stayed in the game to write up drive summaries etc. that I'd get disconnected)

Fresh off their upset of #20 WVU, ECU came into to the game with a new found inspiration and took down another nationally ranked program.

ECU fell behind quickly in the first half 17-0 but rallied at the end of the 2nd to score 2 TD's including a 28 yard TD run by QB Patrick Pinkney.

Pinkey then lead an impressive drive during the 3rd quarter hooking up with WR Jamar Bryant who had beaten the NB in the slot and hauled in a beautiful over the shoulder grab for the TD.

The Pirates managed to take control of the game but kept coming up short in the redzone and settled for two FG's to go up 23-20 with 2:56 remaining in the game. The ECU defense held strong after having a miserable time trying to stop NC's S.Draughn who finished with 173 yards on the ground forcing a 3 and out.

A costly fumble turned the ball over near the goal line of ECU's close out drive and the Tar Heels capitalized by driving the ball deep out of their own territory to set up a 50 yard field goal that was knocked down to 45 yards thanks to slow moving DL getting called for encroachment when NC hurried to the line. C.Barth nailed the kick with :01 left in the game to send it to overtime.

Both teams scored a TD on their first OT possession. During 2OT ECU's defense made an impressive goal line stand to hold NC to a FG. Then ECU got a chance to seal the win and game MVP Patrick Pinkney made the Play of the Game:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/enVhkm4ew8M&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/enVhkm4ew8M&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

QB Patrick Pinkney runs wide to try to seal the win on the ground, only to have NC's DE staring him in the face. But then he notices WR J.Womack (who had a heck of a game for a SO WR running out of the slot [finishing with 7 rec for 105 yards and the game winning TD]) wide open in the endzone and makes an impressive throw!

10. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

WEEK 4 -

UCF - 20 @ #20 ECU - 56

ZZzzzzz...

Not much can be said for this snoozer. UCF was clearly outmatched all game and couldn't stop the run or the pass.

Senior QB Patrick Pinkney (Game MVP) had another excellent game registering a 230.7 QB rating with a godly 90% completion rating and 2 TDs. He also chipped in 54 yards on the ground and scored twice with his quick feet.

HB Dominque Lindsay also had another great game with 141 yards rushing scoring 3 times.

Senior LE CJ Wilson is quietly adding to his nation leading sack total picking up 1 more in this game as well as 4 more tackles for loss which puts him in the lead for most in the NCAA. Can he continue at this breakneck pace all season?

11. Jackwacker

Jackwacker Noob

Congrats on a top 25 rank!

12. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

WEEK 5 -

ECU - 40 @ Marshall - 7

The Passing Game Show a Weakness

QB Patrick Pinkney had a great start to the year but really seemed to devolve as a passer in what still turned into a blowout win @ Marshall.

Pinkney only completed 47% of his passes a season low, and also tossed two picks. His early struggles made things very difficult at first but the Pirates still managed to generate offense when Pinkney started operating out of the option.

As always the defense was rock solid and DE CJ Wilson recorded 2 more sacks against a poor Marshall O-line.

HB Dominique Lindsay won Game MVP honors with 85 yards on the ground and 74 through the air totaling 3 TDs.

13. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

WEEK 6 -

#13 ECU - 52 @ SMU - 0

What a Defense!

The ECU defense seems to improve every game and pitched their first shutout of the season.

SMU was no match for ECU's prolific offense by yielding 565 yards of total offense. They were gashed on the ground and through the air. While ECU's defense held SMU to a paltry 188 yards of total offense and only allowing one 3rd down conversion the entire game.

The ECU Pirates were able to hold onto the ball for the majority of the game thanks to a bounce back passing effort of QB Patrick Pinkney who tossed 4 TDs and didn't record an INT the whole game.

Player of the game honors were awarded to QB Patrick Pinkney for scoring 5 TDs but Game MVP honors go to HB Dominique Lindsay for controlling the clock to allow for the shutout. He racked up 232 yards on the ground on 31 carries and also scored twice. Game MVP honors were also bestowed on DE CJ Wilson for terrorizing the SMU offensive line all game. He made 8 tackles, 6 for a loss, and took down the quarterback 3 times in the backfield.

14. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

WEEK 7 -

Rice - 10 @ ECU - 48

Rice needs an offensive line.

The ECU defense dominated once again and totally humiliated the Rice offensive line unit. DT J.Ross and DE CJ Wilson combined for 9 sacks and the ECU defense as a whole only gave up 1.8 YPC.

Offensively, QB Patrick Pinkney struggled with his accuracy the whole game only completing 41% of his passes but still managed to throw for 3 TDs.

The Game MVP again goes to RB Dominique Lindsay for an impressive 10.9 YPC gaining 164 yards on the ground and chipping in for 76 yards receiving totaling 3 TDs.

15. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

WEEK 8 -

BYE WEEK

WEEK 9 -

#3 ECU - 64 @ Memphis - 44

Despite some defensive woes, ECU keeps title hopes alive!

My my, this game was an offensive blowout. ECU was caught off guard by the highly impressive Memphis offense. Memphis QB Arklon Hall completed 69% of his passes for a staggering 393 yards and 3 TDs. ECU's DB's were exposed allowing 2 100 yards receivers and the normally potent ECU rush defense gave up 2 scores and 121 yards.

Their was one bright spot on defense however, of course coming from Senior DE CJ Wilson who registered 3 more sacks. Wilson also broke the single season sack record for ECU and has a legitimate shot at breaking the NCAA record in the final weeks of the season.

Game MVP honors fall once again on HB Dominique Lindsay for grinding out the clock and running for 175 yards on 20 carries and scoring 3 more TDs on the year. If not for his ability to control the clock and some key late game interceptions the game may have ended much differently.

Injury News: FB - Kevin Gidrey - Out 5 Weeks with Broken Ribs
    TE Byrd will fill in for him while he rehabs

16. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

Had a nice drive by drive summary I had written up on my week 10 game which was a freaking classic game but lost it when I hit the reply button and couldn't connect to the site. I'm pissed, took me a long time since I was writing it as I played. Will update tomorrow with another writeup. Going to go watch the Skins game now to quell my anger.

17. MaxAttack360

MaxAttack360 Walk On

Exact same thing happened to me last night. Very frustrating. Now I am going to copy all my summaries to make sure I don't lose them again.

18. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

I planned to do that but realized I didn't have office installed. =/

19. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Just exit out of the game, let it save to the dynasty, then come back and check out stats and all that later...I think I'm understanding what you two are saying. Hate to hear about a lost summary esp. with lots of details.

20. MaxAttack360

MaxAttack360 Walk On

I don't think it was a problem with the game (I do what you said). It was a problem with this site. When we hit the reply button, I think the page that came up said "Page too busy" or something like that. When that happens you can't get your game summary back because it didn't post, and if you try hitting the back button there is nothing in the little message box (where you write your message).
    And what I meant by copying wasn't necessarily copy it into word (not a bad idea though), but I just meant doing something like CTRL+C, so if it does get erased, you can just immediately past it back on.

21. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

WEEK 10 -

#3 ECU - 31 @ VT - 27

By the Skin of their Teeth!

This was the one of the closest games of the season for the ECU pirates. VT dominated on the ground with HB Ryan Williams who rushed FOURTY THREE TIMES for 223 yards and 1 TD. This allowed VT to take the pressure off their rather pedestrian passing game and snapped ECU's DE CJ Wilson's 8 game sack streak. Wilson did manage to record 13 tackles (3 TFL) but was disappointed he was unable to reach the QB the entire game.

ECU HB Dominique Lindsay also struggled during the game only rushing for 62 total yards and failed to register a score. Game MVP WR Jamar Bryant picked up the slack and hauled in 5 passes for 147 yards and 2 TDs to keep the Pirates in the game.

However it all came down to a 3rd down play on the 1 yard line with the Pirates trailing 24-27. ECU had used up all its time outs but still had time for one more pass into the endzone before settling for a FG attempt. The play almost ended in disaster but QB Patrick Pinkney saved the day once again to take the lead with :01 remaining in the game.

Play of the Game:

[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DtTVjsklz08&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DtTVjsklz08&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

22. Jackwacker

Jackwacker Noob

wow, congrats!

23. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

WEEK 11 -

ECU - 52 @ Tulsa - 24

Stupid FleXbox One.

Tulsa kept the defense busy with their fleXbox One offense, but it wasn't enough to bring down the ECU Pirates.

Game MVP QB Patrick Pinkney prevailed yet again scoring 5 total touchdowns (3 through the air, 2 on the ground) to put the Pirates ahead of a rather effective Tulsa offense. WR Jamar Bryant also had an excellent game hauling in 5 catches for 200 yards and 3 scores.

The always dominant CJ Wilson was held to 0 sacks due to a potent rushing attack.

24. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

WEEK 12 -

UAB - 26 @ ECU - 52

Can anyone stop them?

No.

UAB was added to the list of teams to be embarrassed by the ECU Pirates this season.

The ECU rushing attack was more than adequate to defeat UAB thought GAME MVP QB Patrick Pinkney still threw for 256 yards and 3 TDs. While chipping in 179 yards on the ground on 25 carries, scoring once. HB Dominique Lindsay also rushed for over 100 yards registering 127 yards on 8 carries for an impressive 15.8 YPC avg, and made it into the endzone 3 times.

DE CJ Wilson got back on track this week compiling 13 tackles and 2 sacks, and was in the backfield all day.

25. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

WEEK 13 -

USM - 38 @ ECU - 45

HOLY CRAP...WHAT A GAME!

Please see JHeb write-up for an more in depth game summary, it was late and I had to sleep and was unable to save vids.

Well the ECU Pirates escaped by the skin of their teeth on this one. USM took an early 17-7 halftime lead but ECU was able to battle back and tie the game due in part to 2 blown coverages on HB Dominique Lindsay out of the backfield which went for huge gains.

The impressive ECU offense was held in check all game and overcame a sizeable offensive production deficit to pull out the win in 2OT on a great interception in the flat by CB T.Simmons who also had a TD return to open the second half.

Game MVP honors go to HB Dominique Lindsay who rushed for 68 yards and a TD but was more dynamic in the passing game catching 4 passes for 112 yards and a TD and kept the Pirates alive when they needed it the most. Kudos on a great performance!