East Carolina University

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by BDSDIGITAL, Jun 30, 2009.

1. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

East Carolina University

My write up won't be anywhere near as extravagent but here goes.

I'm taking over for Skip Holtz at ECU, defending Conference USA Champions. The Pirates return 19 starters including DE CJ Wilson (BEAST) and FS Van Eskridge on Defense and QB Patrick Pinkney behind a veteran OL on Offense.

The Defense will be the strength of this team because of talent and a multiple defensive scheme that will see a mix of zone and man with a very aggressive style of play.

The offesne will be lead by veteran QB Patrick Pinkney and a veteran OL and Receiving Corp lead by Dwayne Harris, and Alex Taylor. The Offense should be able to see some consitency with a new offensive scheme that will look alot like a USC "pro style" type offense.

The schedule isn't friendly with trips to Morgantown, and Chapel Hill early in the season, and a home game vs. ACC favorite Virginia Tech on a ESPN Thursday night telecast that is sandwiched between two other national television games at Memphis and at Tulsa. The highlighted Conference games are a home game vs. UCF to open conference play, a home game vs. Rice mid season, and a home game vs. Southern Miss to close out conference play. Meaning we will get at least three shots at a ranked opponent (maybe highly ranked) and all three in conference user games at home this year. All in all anything less than 9 wins and a Conference USA title will be a major disappointment with a team that boasts 19 upperclassmen starters including 12 seniors.

Our goal is to win the Conference USA this year and contend for an at large BCS bowl game. Which will be our goal every year.

2. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Van Eskridge is one of my favorite players to watch, he will lay someone the fuck out every game!

3. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

Motherfuck, I think that Pinkney fucker graduated last season. Fuck!

He's been a fuckin' thorn in WVU's side ever since his sophomore year.

4. BDSDIGITAL

This will be his 6th year of eligibility...6th year senior dude.

5. BDSDIGITAL

Greenville, N.C. The Pirates did what was expected today and throttled hapless FCS Directional 62-10. Coach Troy pulled all starters mid way through the 2nd quarter after the game was already in hand. "The only stats we care about are W's" said coach Troy when asked if his starters were upset at losing time in the first game. "The next three weeks at WV, at NC, and home for UCF will make or break our season, and we can't afford to be anywhere but full strength for all three games." Dominique Lindsey had 4 rushing touchdowns in the first half to put the game out of reach. Patrick Pinkney pitched in with a 60 yd td run on a broken play and a long touchdown pass early in the game to set the pace before being benched in favor of Freshman DJ McFadden. In the second half the Pirate 2nd team and some 3rd team freshmen took over and were very impressive stopping FCS whomever to nothing on offense and scoring a few garbage time touchdowns. "We didn't run up the score intentionally." "They didn't want to tackle us, what were we supposed to do?" Coach Troy said when asked about the lopsided score. "We burned as much clock as possible in the 2nd half." "I had a pot roast and a corona waiting for me after the game, I was eager to get out of there."

Other notes:

Backup QB Robert Kass suffered a mild concussion in the 2nd quarter and missed the rest of the game. He should be fine for the West Virginia game next week.

Several players will be running windsprints until they vomit tomorrow after they were caught "tweeting" during the 3rd quarter.

6. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

wow..

just wow

7. BDSDIGITAL

Morgantown W.V.

Patrick Pickney's refusal to talk to the media after this debacle was no surprise.

East Carolina Came here looking to make a statement on the national level and did, just not the one they wanted.

West Virginia 17 East Carolina 3.

"You don't go on the road and win games when you turn the ball over 5 times." said Coach Troy. "I'm sick. just sick. We threw two picks in the endzone, in the bleeping endzone!" and lost by two touchdowns, do the bleeping math!" He then went on a rant about being a grown man and 40 years old and come after him...or something like that.

In reality East Carolina lost this game. West Virginia didn't "beat" them. Patrick Pickney thew 3 picks and fumbled twice and accounted for 5 turnovers in the loss. In his defense the offensive line stayed in Greenville for this one. He was sacked repeatedly and when he wasn't he was getting balls swatted back in his face. The Pirate's star RB Dominique Lindsey was injured after a promising first drive and the running game never resurfaced. He will be fine for the North Carolina game, but took this loss very hard. "I should have been out there." " I believe all of the windsprints this week really wore my ankles out." All in all the Pirate Defense can hold their head high. This unit gave up 17 points to a very potent offense even having the Mountaineer offense start inside ECU territory 3 times off of turnovers. "Our defense is all heart." I couldn't be prouder of a unit!." said coach Troy. "They're warriors, plain and simple but deserve a better effort from the offense."

Notes:

The lost of Dominique Lindsay changed this game, but the emergence of backup Freshman Marquan Brown was one of the bright spots on this rainy day. He ran the ball well and showed flashes of brilliance. The future is bright at RB for the Pirates.

Coach Troy is awaiting word from the NCAA on possible action on his post game rant. Also, his rant was #3 on the Sportcenter top 10 plays.

Next week the Pirates travel to Chapel Hill to meet up with the #14 Tarheels. Hopefully the Offensive lines come with them.

8. BDSDIGITAL

The Tarheels should have been on upset alert:

Chapel Hill N.C.

When ECU was up 7-3 no one panicked, when ECU went up 14-3 no one panicked.....when the heels went up 15-14 with 2 minutes left no one panicked.

Guess who won.

In an amazing game in Chapel Hill the East Carolina Pirates showed their metal after a demoralizing beat down in Morgantown. Winning this game against the #14 Tarheels 17-15 on a last second field goal by Billy Hartman from 20 yards with the clock running out.

The Pirates led from start to finish ALMOST. East Carolina was up 14-3 well into the 3rd quarter when The Tarheels started driving. TJ Yates, who was hounded all day and sacked 4 times led his team on two scoring drives in the 4th quarter and took the lead 15-14 on a 50 yd td pass to his TE Zach Pinalto with 2 minutes to go.

Patrick Pickney took over at that point.

Starting at his 5 yard line Patrick led a drive that will be a part of Pirate lore for years to come. converting two fourth and longs of 10 and 17 yards respectively.

The defense was incredible today! They gave up a few drives late, but kept the #14 team in the nation to 3 points and 100 yds TOTAL for the first three quarters.

The keys to the upset:

The Pirates first scoring drive was 15 plays for 96 yard that ate up 5 minutes in the second quarter. Then the Heels were stuck to 3rd and out and we scored again on a QB run of 15 yards as the clock ran at in the half.

The ECU defense forced a fumble from TJ Yates at the ECU 5 at the end of the third quarter that really turned the game.

SS Chris Mattocks had 9 tackles 2 tackles for loss, 1 forced fumble, and coverd everything tonight. This is the best player on my team.

Dominique Lindsay had 33 carries for 99 yards which isn't a great ypg but he controlled the clock.

I ran the ball to the UNC 5 with about 1:30 left and surprisingly NC didn't call any timeouts. I ran the clock down and kicked the winning field goal while they still had 2 time outs. ??

9. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

NICE win man. Congrats on being the first team to beat a Top 25 team.

10. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Nice job...sounds like a great game....

but I think North Carolina could've put up more of a fight in the closing minutes lol

11. BDSDIGITAL

Thanks.

The last 30 seconds of that game made no sense. They could've started calling timeouts and had time left for a kick return at least. They just didn't stop the clock....but whatever, it's in the books now.

I'm the first to take down a ranked team, but UNC isn't that good. They're waaaaayyy over rated. West Virginia was a better team. I think most of us would have won this game. I'm just glad I didn't choke at the end.

12. BDSDIGITAL

My mojo is kaput.

Instead of writing up the last two East Carolina Debacles I'm going to rant a little bit.

I lost to Marshall last night 30-24 after Marshall forgot they were Marshall and magically morphed into USC with about 4 minutes left. This is the 2nd game in a row that I was winning at the end of the 3rd quarter that got restarted that I had to play for the 2nd time and lost both of them. Had the UCF game and this game played out the first time I played them I very likely would be 4-1, 2-0 in conference and possibly cracking the top 25. Instead I'm 2-3 and just lost my star RB Dominique Lindsey for 3 weeks with a fucking bruised shoulder (rub some dirt on it Dominique!). My star DE CJ Wilson also got hurt but will be back for my next game I believe. It's my own fault though. I got the shit kicked out of me by Nati the third time we played the UCF v. ECU game and couldn't get Marshall's offense off the field in the last 4 minutes to keep the lead so it's 100% my fault that my season is in free fall. It just sucks to feel like you have a tough game in the bag only to have to play the entire thing over.

FUCK!!!

Ok, that's better. Sorry for the rant.

13. BDSDIGITAL

And on that note may I also say I'm really really looking forward to cleaning out my current roster and replacing some of these stiffs with football players.

14. BDSDIGITAL

Ok so it's been a few weeks since I went off regarding my underacheiving....squad.

I'm just going to write up a quick blurb about ECU @Tulsa.

ECU held the lead from the start pretty much until the finish. Nothing remarkable really happened in between 5 minutes left in the 1st qtr to 1 minute left in the 4th quarter, which is when all hell broke loose.This game was full of running...options, up the middle, off tackle, through the stands, and all points in between.

Up 24 to 21 with about 5 minutes I had the ball around my own 35 ready to start what I wanted to be a long time consuming drive ending in the endzone to ice the game. Tulsa's defense slammed that door fast! 3 and out -10 yards. I punted it back to Tulsa and he went on a march of his own Converting a 3rd and long and a 4th and long on the drive to keep the clock running. With about 2 minutes left he got inside my redzone and he started running the clock obviously trying to set up the last score. I was just about to start calling my timeouts when....he scored..with 1:20 left going up 28-24.

At this point I got the ball back with a little over a minute with all my timeouts from the 30. I started with a quick strike to mid field then a few shorter passes down to the 22 with 20 seconds left. I ran a play that had worked all day for me that includes a deep post over the middle. His safeties must have blown an assignment because there was no one within 10 yards of my receiver or the goal line. That score made it 31-28. He got the ball back and took 4 shots downfield only to fall short.

ECU escapes 31-28. A few memorable stats from this game:

Tulsa's score at 1:28 left in the game was their first lead, and the first lead change of the game.

The only team stat that stood out to me was TOP 17:01 for ECU and 10:59 Tulsa

Patrick Pickney went 17-24 for 246 2TD's and 1 pick

Dominque Lindsey was a man tonight. 24 carries for 98 yards, ate clock like it was going bad, and had 59 yards after 1st contact.

Other than that it was a true team win that it took a veteran qb to win.

Great game Tulsa! Awesome.