Ego's Ongoing Questions

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by egofailure, Oct 19, 2010.

1. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

When I first started on TL (in the TDL League), I started a similar thread so I could learn as much about the league/rules/practices as quickly as possible, without littering the entire board with my (relentless) questions. You all have a number of seasons under your belt, so I'll spend a lot of time this weekend reading user material, catching up on the league history, and finding out who's who. As questions come along, I'll just post e'm in this thread. Eventually, I'll run out of questions and this thread will be buried for good. ; ) That cool?

2. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Works for me....ask away bud!

Just a little heads up on the upcoming stuff. Obviously we are in week 13.....after that we have a new "traditional" User game (just one game) in week 14, everyone else has that week off. Funny, that game is actually Auburn vs UNC!

We do offseason's together always in one night. It generally takes a couple hours, during the offseason night we all sign-in on skype and just have a good time talking about our recruits/expectations....etc and real life football also. We are probably looking at the offseason being Sunday night, I will be posting a thread here tomorrow prolly where we can begin discussing the offseason topics.

I will assign once week 1 is up pre-season assignments and season assignments for each member. They have been a real fun read b/c our group has done a great job putting time and research into them.

I think you know about our recruiting/scholly system

Jerzey is in Germany (Military) so account for the fact he is 6 hours ahead of eastern time.
    I am personally Eastern
    Tuco is central
    TexasFight/King (brothers) are central also
    runthepound (eastern)
    JFunk (eastern)
    GSUtiger (Pacific)
    JCA (Pacific)
    Mizzourah (central)
    Drunken (I think central...canada)

We are a fast group as I know you are aware.....Though typical TF leagues do not advance until roughly 72 hours (if not more it seems)....if we don't advance in 48 or just a hair more...I would consider it a slow week on the 11 version from us. Everyone has everyone's cell for text and of course we always post on the scheduling thread too.

3. egofailure

G', thanks for the post! I'm all about gettin' the off-season done in one night, and Sunday is perfect for me.

Is the scheduling typically completed that night also? If so, when are potential OOC user/cpu match-ups discussed? Or is that done once we reach preseason?

Love the assignments! I actually caught that thread earlier. I'll be honest, though, I'm hoping and praying that I don't end up with the OL Analysis duties. ; )

My schedule's pretty flexible - Monday I'm good to play after 8:30 PM, Tuesday through Friday after 4:00 PM, and weekends anytime. I'm also willing to stay up late for all you central timers and night owls.

I'll add all your cellies soon, too. For now, if you text me, just give me the "Hey, I'm from TL" intro so I know the deal. Run and I have already been going back and forth already, so I have his ...

Just an FYI: Please show some patience with that tech' stuff! I'm learning as I go. The crap you dudes pull off with the screen shots is crazy. Love it. I just downloaded the jing program, so I hope to be up to speed soon.

Lastly, I'll get a game summary up tomorrow with the servers being down tonight. Things got interesting due to turnovers. I blame the new playbook/audibles, but then again, what else did you expect from a dude who got his start as a defensive coordinator? ; )

4. Iron Mickey

Yeah, I will forward you our contact list. Jerzey is the only one for obvious reasons

I handle all scheduling and I generally have it done within 12 hours of us finishing the offseason. We do home-n-home contracts and pretty much the better you are (record/ranking wise) the tougher schedule you are going to get from me the following year. I do take request for User and CPU Out-of-Conf games.

You will have no more than 4 user games in season and also no less than 3. Your gaming hours are like most of the members here so you will fit in great.

5. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

I like this thread Ego. with me being on pst i'm always on the here until around 2-3am est time. I've been playing the role of the NCAA Compliance Office(NCAACO) as of late so if there are any rules broken or infractions you get a PM about what must be done. You are in a very competitive conf with JFunk, King_Ceps and TexasFight. JFunk has been been the big brother over there with his Bama team but was knocked off last season by Auburn's old coach in the Iron Bowl.

6. tuco418

tuco418 Older and wiser than you

And if you are in the same division with G-unit, he will make sure to schedule you four users games and just five home games while gets Tulsa on his docket every year.
    :confused:

BTW- I reside in the eastern time zone. My state has counties which are central and eastern, which is pretty much insane.

7. egofailure

G'Tiger,

The 4-2-5 has it's pros/cons.

I, for one, like to control the FS, so this scheme puts me right in the middle of the field on most ocassions. There are also numerous plays designed for a safety blitz, so I can also throw a lot of different looks at a user and affect the game in several ways. Anyone who plays my team will have to account for the FS at all times -and I like that. That being said, depending on the play call (and how risky I'm willing to get), there may be times when I'm manually responsible for man coverage. I'm always working on bettering my "stick skills" for that reason.

With a SS lined up on each side of the field, you can also send blitzes from either direction. If called at the right moments, it can be extremely affective at limiting an opponent's passing game and big-play ability (simply not enough time for longer routes).

Another advantage? You can also line up in a 4-4 without your opponent knowing the difference. Doing so can make it a lot harder for you opponent to convert on 3rd and short or in the red zone. This also helps in combatting run-heavy offenses.

All this being said, if you can beat a cheeser with the scheme, you're a damn good player. (I'm getting there.) I find that it's more difficult to stop pass-heavy offenses who continually line up in 4 and 5 WR sets. Why? Your SS, assigned for coverage, may not have the skills/speed to consistently get the job done. Keep in mind that it's also a bit harder to recruit talented safties who can cover and tackle, whereby finding a couple of LB per recruiting year is a piece of cake. However, if you were able to net a couple of top-notch safties, I think this scheme could be devastating. Being that I've never taken control of a top-notch program (until now), I haven't been able to test this out.

(I'll also sprinkle in a lot of Nickle/Dime to stop the pass, but I just don't think the zone/safety blitzes are as nearly as effective when you have a user or CPU QB who can pick you apart all day if given the time due to their skill level or superior WR talent.)

Most of all, though, I like to run the 4-2-5 because it's different. It adds a little bit of variability to the league - and that's fun for everyone. I could probably be more successful with a tradition 4-3 or 3-4, but I'd rather bring a lil' somethin' atypical to the table.

I'm that you find this (at least somewhat) helpful.

8. egofailure

There's no question I'm going to struggle a bit out of the gate in user-user games. Luckily the old Auburn coach did most of the work this season, so I could very well be recruiting at 6-star status next season (I've never had this privledge). This should allow me to bring in some serious talent.

People who play me will see that my style is very, very SIM at all times. I mix it up play-calling on both ends, so much so that I think it's hard to know what's coming. That being said, I often "shoot myself in the foot" so to speak on offense, and we all know that's a key ingrediant to losing. I'm hoping that by playing with the best on TF, I'll become a better player. Logic says that there's no way that can't happen.

SO, expect to get the best of me early, but to get your butt kicked eventually. ; ) At least, that's my plan.

I'm working with a relatively new playbook. As a result, I've found that my play has gotten worse as the games go on, for I don't have full scope on the book down yet. So once I've blasted through the 20-25 plays I'm comfortable with, I end up using plays I haven't quite gotten a grasp of ... The more I play (obviously), the less that will be an issue.

9. runthepound

runthepound Get on the Bus!

seing a different defense is always tougher just like seeing a different offesne(Ga Tech). It should be interesting to see if/how well you can get the quality SS that you need for this scheme to work at Auburn. From what I have seen recruiting wise on this years game, a majority of the SS out there are all around C+ speed with a few exceptions.

Yes, Dean has done a great job over the past few seasons with Auburn and built them up nicely, as far as prestige goes, which you should benefit from right away.

10. mizzourah2006

mizzourah2006 Walk On

Sounds awesome. I was thinking about using the 4-2-5 in my other league because Miami has Reid, Armstrong, and Telemaque, but in the end I went with the traditional 4-3 to keep it consistent, but it does look like a potent defense, that is fast if the safeties are there.

Also, I like Tuco am in the Eastern timezone although my state has both central and eastern in it. G-Unit probably just forgot because the last time I played him I was in the STL for a wedding.

11. Iron Mickey

Well lookie here....The Sooners just got 6 User games for 2014.....:D

Getting shorted a home game is not my fault also! I will defer the answer to RTP

12. King_CEPS_11

King_CEPS_11 Walk On

I ran the 4-2-5 in NCAA 10 and agree with everything you said and that was the exact reason I ran it before, and I was/am thinking about going to it next season. I was actually set on running it next season, but I really like my young linebackers, as they are quickly becoming the cornerstone of my defense, so I may look at the 3-3-5 also because it should give you the same principles of the 4-2-5 but with more focus on linebackers. I'm still not sure all I know is my defense has gotten worse and worse each season and I need something to spark them and get better results.

13. runthepound

runthepound Get on the Bus!

Yeah, I got shorted a home game this year as well in playing USC in LA. I asked for a good home game mid season and it was scheduled that way, but due to all 120 teams having to work themselves out, the CPU changed it to an away game when the dynasty was advanced.

14. King_CEPS_11

King_CEPS_11 Walk On

That happened to me the first year, but it wasn't a big deal because I had to play at Army or somebody like that.

15. egofailure

That's a downside I could have elaborated on. When you're a good program, you'll attract talented LB, and for a lot people, it's hard for them to see all that talent "wasted" on the bench. I hate to give away all my "secrets" ... but I still find PT for my LB using various packages that utilize each player's strongest skills. Still, if I have 3 or 4 top-notch LB, I might be tempted to use a system that maximizes their time on the field.

16. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I agree with tuco.... why didn't WE get any cupcakes?.... we like stat games too:)

Nobody in the Big 12 will run a 4-2-5... hopefully my line gets a tad better and then I can get back to pounding the rock... that's the only scouting report you get on me Ego... I run the ball, no matter what... passing is for f@gs:)...

17. egofailure

Stopping the run with the 4-2-5 takes some skill (and luck). I'll see what I can do! ; )

18. Iron Mickey

Hey now Mister!

19. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

Wait a min! Passing as got me to the ACC Championship game for the first time in 4yrs. Running as got you where this year???? If you don't stay up for an offseason your walk ons are going to kill you in the long run:D

20. King_CEPS_11

King_CEPS_11 Walk On

You can stop the run ok in the 4-2-5 and better than most would assume because you have 8 guys in the box, even if two of those guys are "pass defenders". Runs up the middle are harder to stop with it, but you have a hard edge defender with the SS on both sides that you don't have in any other defense in the game, meaning it is fairly effective against tosses, stretches, and options.

21. TeXasfight33

TeXasfight33 Walk On

i reall like the 4-2-5, it gives offenses a unique look and it takes them till halftime to figure it out and by that time the game is probably out of hand.

22. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Don't go jumping out the window... feeling yourself, huh?.... I threw it alot this year anyway... G-Unit I found my cupcake for next year.... Maryland

23. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

that is one game that will never get played!! time zone differance would kill us trying to get that game played

24. egofailure

What's the procedure following the completion of a game?

I should ...

- Post the results in the weekly results thread
    - Post an article (or at least a blurb) in my team thread

And then I'm good? Or is there more?

Do I have to save pictures/videos from the game onto this forum? If so, I'll have to learn how. I'm now tech' stupid, I'm just not the most tech' saavy. ; )

Please let me know right away if I'm doing following the content protocol correctly or to satisfaction.

25. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

Post results in the weekly news/update thread
    Post your dynasty wire article front page, scoring summary, team stats, you can included player stats if you want
    All games must have video(2 for cpu, user game 4 for the winner, but even when i lose it still try to make it for just 4 habit)
    check inside the forum G-Unit has a guide on how to post summaries