End of Season Wrap Up

Discussion in 'The Final Countdown' started by Bucs, May 5, 2014.

1. Bucs

Bucs GT: ThruTheSmoke47

We've finished our second season lets talk a little about how it went.

What were your preseason expectations and did you meet them , exceed them or fall below them ?

Who was your impact player on each side of the ball?

What player surprised you the most this season with production or lack of it?

What do you think was the most important game or moment of your season?

What recruit are you most excited about in the incoming class?

Where can you're team improve?

How do you feel headed into season 3?

Any other coaches you want to call out?

IrishBearcat
    Austin1990
    Todd Ramsey
    UofCWildcat
    recchem2000
    BRUCE80
    MaxATX34
    hornfaninbama
    Baron

2. Austin1990

Austin1990 Walk On

What were your preseason expectations and did you meet them , exceed them or fall below them?
    UVA came into the season hoping to defend both their ACC crown and their National Title. We succeeded in the first goal after a huge win over ND and we are looking forward to facing Texas in a very anticipated National Championship to accomplish our second goal.

On offense, it would be hard to overlook the performance of David Watford. He struggled at times last season with his accuracy, and he came back this year to be the runner-up for the Heisman and 2nd in all QBs in passing yardage, with 3182 on only 227 ATT. His 24-4 TD-INT ratio was a big improvement as well. What was never in doubt was his athletic ability, as he ran for 963 YDS and 12 TD on the year.
    Defensively, the heart and soul was clearly CB Demetrious Nicholson. This guy flew around the field, doing whatever was asked of him. He covered the opposing team’s #1 WR and then flew down to support the run with bone-crushing hits. At 186 pounds, he was the best pound for pound player on the field every game.

The surprise this season is an easy one: B-Back Kyle Dockins was outstanding. At the start of the season, nobody was sure who would grab the starting job but Dockins took it over with a monster 158 yard 2 TD performance at Texas A&M. Then he put up 161 on FSU, 144 on Maryland, 125 on Duke, and 165 on VT. When there are 4 potential ballcarriers on every play and your job is straight up the gut, topping 100 yards is a big deal. Doing it 5 times and ending the year in the top 10 in the nation in yards is unheard of. The best part about Dockins is that he is only a Sophomore, and will be back in full force next season.

The matchup with Notre Dame is by far the toughest game of the season. This year’s game had quite a bit on the line, with national title implications in the balance. There were two plays in the game that determined the outcome: 1) an INT in his own endzone by OLB Max Valles and 2) the 76 yard TD pass over the defense 2 plays later to HB Kevin Parks as the half expired. That was a 14 point swing and secured UVAs place in the title game.

We are excited to welcome a tandem of DBs to this class, with 80 OVR ATH Dan Gandy and 79 OVR CB Rob Moore. They have big shoes to fill, and we believe they are up to the task.

Where can your team improve?

Although the WR core was consistent this season in getting open and catching the ball, there was no true “burner” on the edge to punish teams with the longball for being too aggressive and walking their safeties down. A perfect example is the ND game: although they could get open for short-medium completions, the only guy who could truly run past his man was Kevin Parks being covered by a MLB. This will hopefully change with the maturation of current redshirt Eric Singleton (94 SPD) and the incoming 5* WR (#8 Player and #4WR) Michael Marshall (94 SPD).

UVA will improve in most positions next season with two exceptions: 1) They lose both A-Backs to graduation, including two-time Heisman Finalist Kevin Parks and 2) Defensive secondary, which graduates 4 starters. Hopefully some solid recruiting can fill the secondary and current players can mature into their roles as starters on offense.

I think a matchup against Baylor next season would be a good one. Back-to-back top 10 finishes with a win over Texas last year to spoil their title hopes makes Baylor a program to keep your eye on.

3. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

What were your preseason expectations and did you meet them , exceed them or fall below them ?
    Goal #1 was win the Big12. The National Championship was disappointing, but it was still a great season for the Horns!

Was definitely RB Malcolm Brown and MLB Dalton Santos. Santos lead the country in tackles and was a big problem for many Big12 offenses. Brown took over for an injured Gray and didn't miss a step, trucking his way to a 1,000yd season off the bench.

Ash needs to simultaneously throw more passes and throw less picks. He needs to eliminate the mistakes and take a few more shots downfield per game.

Either the last play of the season in the NC, or the Dalton Santos interception because without that pick, the last play would have probably been a UVA kneel ending a blowout.

Texas has a lot of talent coming in. There are prospects at QB and RB that will be future starters at some point, with an impact player or two still on the board.

Passing and pass defense. I also think Texas can recruit better than they have the past two seasons.

The team will be loaded. Texas will definitely be able to compete for the Big12 Championship and beyond if they play to potential.

Not call out, but I am looking forward to playing both UVA and Baylor again next season!

4. hornfaninbama

hornfaninbama GT: BulgyTexas

What were your preseason expectations and did you meet them, exceed them or fall below them?

We exceeded our preseason expectations. I knew I would be gone for most of the year. And being able to come back to a squad competing for the SEC title was very nice. I figured I would come back to an 8-4 or 7-5 team and I was very happy.

TJ Yeldon was our best player on offense but he’s good enough that he gets his yards whether the offense is rolling or not. Blake Sims was probably the impact guy on offense. When he was passing well and running well on option keeps the offense was very tough to stop.

Defensively I have to go with Xzavier Dickson. Dickson filled the stat sheet this season, led the team in tackles with 43, led the team in tackles for loss with 18, picked up 4 sacks, 1 interception, caused 1 fumble and recovered 2. He was a true “Stat sheet stuffer,” and we will miss him badly next season.

I figured Yeldon would have better stats. He still finished with almost 1500 yards and 12 TD’s, but with the tools he has I figured he would have done better. The silver lining is that since he didn’t set the world on fire, maybe he will come back next season. I doubt it, but I’m holding out hope anyway.

The pick 6 against Georgia was an awesome play. Won the SEC, was a moment I’ll never forget and it made me feel a little better about the “Kick 6” from this past season. Just as an aside, Fuck Auburn.

I love athletes, and I signed a few I’m excited about. I probably won’t have too many take immediate playing time. Out of the players currently committed I would have to go with Phil Craig. He’s an athlete that will move to RB, and he’s a tackle breaking mad man. 93 trucking and 92 stiff arm before he even sets foot on campus. He’s got 90 speed, so by the time he hits the field in 2 or 3 years he should be in the 80’s on his finesse moves probably 99 trucking and stiff arm, and mid 90’s on speed.

Demetrius Carter looks like he will be fun also. I think he’s going to be a WR, simply because I have an embarrassment of riches at RB already and he will likely never see the field at RB. He will be very dangerous with the ball in his hands; he’s already in the high 80’s for juke, spin and elusiveness. He has decent hands right now, but he won’t see the field for a season or 2 so we will have time to coach him up.

Where can your team improve?

Defense. I get bored with the 43 and try the exotic looks, but I can never make them work the way I want to, so I end up back with the 43. I think we will transition back to that scheme next season.

We need to force more turnovers, for some reason I have a difficult time forcing turnovers and hanging onto the ball. And I hope to get that fixed next season.

I’m excited. It’s always nice to see some of the players you signed get onto the field, and next season will be the first time my first class will be on the field. I’m really excited to get Chester Ingram on the field, he’s big at 6’3 221lbs, fast, has good wiggle, and can throw the ball pretty well also. I doubt seriously that Yeldon will come back, but if he does my offense will be very dangerous. I am a little nervous about how the offensive line will come together. I know I won’t have any depth, but the starters should be solid. And for the first time I get to see this guy on the field

Brandon Hill

Home Collierville, TN
    Height 6-6
    Weight 388
    Year Freshman (R)
    Overall 81

I’m excited to see the defense. I haven’t had to replace a ton of starters until this season so it will be fun to see the newcomers step up. I’m replacing 5.5 starters on defense (the .5 belongs to Vinnie Sunseri) but the players coming up are mostly redshirt freshmen and sophomores so it will be a while before I have to replace half my defense again.

Baron and I had some good games in Pushing for Paydirt, and I’m looking forward to matching up with him again. I’m excited to get to play a user game in my division this season against Todd Ramsey.

5. Bucs

Bucs GT: ThruTheSmoke47

Baylor Bears

Headed into Season 2 I was very optimistic, coming off a a BCS win as well as beating Texas to spoil their national title hopes gave me a ton of momentum. The season started off a bit shaky , but in the end we finished strong with our only loss being to Texas ( A sim, so I'm putting an asterisk next to MaxATX34 's Big 12 Title) . Our goal was to obviously win the Big 12 Title and get to a BCS game, we did one of those and finished in the top 5 for the 2nd season in a row.

On offense it couldn't be more obvious. HB Lache Seastrunk , won the Heisman, Walker, Maxwell and one other award I cant remember. 2000 plus yard, 20 plus TDs. On defense its a toss up , we were not very impactful as a unit. If I had to give it to somebody it would be Shawn Oakman our big right defensive end. 6'9 273 finished with 11 sacks and 20 tackles for loss.

RS Freshman OLB Kiante Griffin, he was a lot better than I expected 5 sacks, 1 interception and 36 tackles. The stat line is shocking, but he always seemed to be around the ball.

The 1 point win over Oklahoma, that loss at that time could have really de-railed our season.

It was a very small class, only 8 spots open and 6 committed at the time of typing this. I'll go with Athlete J.J. Williams though, he will be our QB of the future at 5'10 221 he is a bit undersized, but has the body and skill set of a running back with 86 break tackle , 86 elusiveness, 91 spin 92 juke . With 86 THP and 85 Accuracy and 81 speed he will develop into a nice weapon.

On the defensive side of the ball for sure, we could not stop the pass to save our lives and finished in the 100's for pass defense.

Very uncertain, Lache has been my crutch and im not sure if the team is equipped for life after Lache yet.

Nope, we have a great group of coaches and I expect I lost 9/10 user games with even teams.