End of Year Business

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I thought it would be good to have a single place to chat about the transition from this season to next.

Here's a few things we need to discuss:

1. Sim Nation Bookie - Just a reminder, really. Winner gets to declare one recruit "off limits" to all other users. Could be the difference between signing a big recruit and signing an average one.

2. Sim Nation Blog Contest - We never decided on a prize for the best blog winner, so we should probably pick something. My suggestion - Give the winning conference 1-7-71, letting them take an extra three, while still cutting to 68. It's a small prize, but it's an extra roster move, which ain't nothing.

3. Coaching Carousel - I'm assuming we're not going to be moving, but just in case, I thought we'd discuss potential moves. We're getting a good CPU challenge, so we could conceivably play anywhere.

4. Week 14 - None of us have games, so I was thinking we'd push right past this. But I don't want anyone losing recruiting time they have to have, or get time other guys aren't getting, so I thought we should agree on what to do. I can give a bit of time, or not, depending on how quickly you guys want to get to bowl season.

5. Slider changes - Best to take this to the Film Room, but now's the time. One thing to consider - last year, we had "bowl sliders" and they were tough. Should we try something similar?

6. Recruiting Changes - I prefer to keep things as they are, but I'm only one guy out of 12. I'm open to suggestions.

OK, so who's got opinions?

2. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I need week 14 for recruiting...i can get that done tonight by 12 est.

3. bdub

bdub Walk On

I really like the tougher bowl game sliders last year. I would vote to do that again.

4. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

1) Dang, I didn't realize that there was a true prize for the winner. That's the last time I bet all my loot on Archie. ;-)

2) Sounds good. My blog contributions next season are going to be much improved. I'm planning to discuss ideas with JCA, 'Dub, and Big D shortly.

3) I'm interested in hearing people's ideas about this. It could be fun.

4) I think we should offer a recruiting window, like we did last year. That way we can all at least pop on a computer and get it done if we're not around the console.

5) I'm usually a big proponent of harder sliders, but I think we should hold off on this for Year 1. I know last year that Bowl games always seemed to be naturally harder (the opponent is always "juiced up"), so I'm curious to see how Bowl games in this year's version play out. Also, Arch', do you have a harder set ready and tested? Bowl season may not be the best time for a probe.

6) I've already thoroughly expressed my opinion about recruiting in another thread. If we continue as we are, we'll complain about how weak the CPU has gotten in a few years, and then we'll try to pull a 180. But it will be too late. On a separate note, I like how we allowed lower prestige teams the opportunity to sign a couple guys over 70. This allowed teams to take a chance on a couple of 1 or 2 stars, and cut or keep them based upon how they came in rated.

5. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Good ideas so far.

I'm OK with a recruiting window for week 14. Are we done with week 13 yet? How about this: Ego shoots me a text when week 13 closes (I know he'll be watching) and we'll have from that time until midnight to recruit. At midnight, we move ahead. If we want a bigger window, we need to lean on guys to play their games. That work?

As for recruiting, I still believe the bonus list makes it look like we're raiding the recruit pool, but my 2-10-1 (for example) is going to drop down the list pretty quickly. My goal to get a top 5 class at some point in my contract isn't likely to happen, because I simply can't recruit the number of players other schools can. That will be true for all of us, and we will probably all get passed by some CPU teams in the off-season. Still, I understand the concern (because it was big last year) and ask only that we see how the off-season turns out. If we're all top 25 classes, or half of us are top ten, then I think a change is probably in order.

On sliders - I'm not looking to implement anything now. We've taken our lumps this year, and our bowl game are hugely relevant in ways they never were before. That's a big win for the league. But as we learn the CPU and start finding ways to win some of those games we lost, a bump in bowl season sliders, followed by a regular season bump later on, is probably a good progression through the levels of difficulty, I think.

6. egofailure

This works for me.
    As long as we're keeping an eye on the issue, I'm cool to wait and see how things shake out. Our first year's been a lot of fun because a few of us have taken some CPU losses.

Agree 100%.

7. Brogowicz

Brogowicz Walk On

This is going to be very painful for the 1 or 2 teams getting trumped by this. I really hope that MSU is not on that short list.

I'm with you on the 71 part, but I'm not following the math (still cutting to 68). Does that mean that we can sign up to 70 and then cut to 68 as a regular practice?

I could see our resident underdog (WSU) looking to changes schools after another year or so of uphill recruiting battles. I'm not sure, however, that D has any intention of jumping ship. Beyond that, I would be very surprised to see anyone looking to change jobs for next season. It will be interesting, however, to see what offers come in and how coach/school progression is handled in 2012.

MSU still has some recruiting work going on, but I could get my time in within an hour of the advance - easily by midnight ET.

Based on my last few games, I don't think the CPU needs to be any tougher. And as Ego pointed out, the CPU seemed to naturally step it up for bowl games last year. I vote for letting this play out naturally and would not be surprised to see several CPU wins.

I think we're in good shape here. We talked about a couple things this season:
    1. Re-allocate unused 5-star scholarship as 8th 4-star scholarship. I think this is a good one for the lower-prestige schools.
    2. Possible caps on bonus recruits. I could see capping 5-star commits at 3 or 4 (though I'm not necessarily pushing for that).
    Whatever direction we go, it would seem like now is the best time to figure out the details.

8. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

On cuts - the rule now is that we can recruit up to 70, and, if we cap out at 70 (and only if we cap out) we can cut to 68. If you end the year at 67 players, no cuts. 69, no cuts. 70 = you may (or may not - it's up to you) cut to 68. It's a chance to reshape your team a bit. Want to cut the extra DTs so you can switch to a 3-4 and recruit more LBs? Wanna cut that 60 rated FR-WR to free up a scholarship for next year? This is how you do it. Letting the blog award winners go to 71 gives then one extra roster move. For example, I would use my #71 to bring in a kicker so I can redshirt him while my starter is a senior. That way I could avoid that first year disaster so many kickers go through. The kicking game has been huge for me this year. I'm gonna need a good one. This is the kind of strategy I didn't get to implement with only 13 scholarships and some other significant needs. But with a 71, I could cut that weak link and bring in that kicker.

It's essentially and extra scholarship and an extra cut, and even if it's a three star recruit, it can reshape a roster in recognizable and significant ways.

9. egofailure

I have a lot of crap on my roster (that will never see the football field) I'd love to cut loose, but I understand the logic behind the rule.

10. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

RE: #4 - I need it for recruiting
    RE: #5 a - Tougher sliders than what we have???? Yikes.
    RE: #5 b - Slider changes - I'm pretty pleased with what we have overall right now... Some of the defensive INT's are a little silly yet, but I don't know if that's able to be "slidered" out.
    RE: #6 - I'm fine with what we have for recruiting... I understand them a bit better, and probably should have attacked guys that didn't even consider Michigan during the regular season... I've learned now.

11. Big D

Big D Walk On

I am pretty neutral on everything you asked. Just give us a little time for Week 14 recruiting.

12. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I can extend pretty late. I'm going to be up until the wee hours tonight working on an article that due soon.

13. Big D

Big D Walk On

We'll be finished by 10pm cst one way or the other. I can't stay up really much later than that so if JCA is late or stuck at practice we'll just have to sim.

14. Big D

Big D Walk On

I just want to get this butt whoopin over with. Ugh....lol

15. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

16. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

I wont get to my recruiting til tomorrow morning around 830 am cst

17. egofailure

Sounds like you're screwed. ;-)

If you're cool with sending me you're log-in, I can recruit for you.

Let me know.

18. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Nope... I got screwed... I would have sent it to you. Wish I could've got a text or something giving me a heads up... And what happened to the optional advances and what not?

19. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I think that when no one has a game we typically post up a time and roll on. I am only speaking about past cases though.

20. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Whatever. That's fine. Just moving forward, can someone please send me a text if this is going to happen?

21. egofailure

I don't want to speak for Archie, but I think that because he posted early yesterday morning, he figured that everyone had sufficient time to read the plan or request more time. When noone did, it looked like we were good. I'm willing to bet he never saw your post by the time you finally hit the "reply" button, considering it was so close to the discussed advance time. I can understand your frustration, though. This has happened to me before and it sucks.

In the future, I'll try my best to send out a text for stuff like this. I'm also always willing to pop on and recruit for someone if they won't be around.