Enter Sandman: VT Announces Coach Beamer's Successor!

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by ZepHead, Feb 8, 2010.

1. ZepHead

ZepHead Futbol!

VT Presser

[​IMG]

Blacksburg, VA: It's official, folks! Bud Foster has been announced as the head football coach of the Virginia Tech Hokies this evening. He will succeed longtime coach Frank Beamer. "Not much has changed", remarked Foster, "I feel like I've been here all my life. Our core values will remain the same, and I promise to strive everyday to continue the good things Coach Beamer has instilled in our program over the years. I hope Coach Beamer will continue to advise us and be a father figure to our program and the universtiy. Philosophically, we will continue what we have in place. There are no firings on the coaching staff on either side of the ball. I will, for now, call plays on defense"

Defense: 4-2-5
    Offense: TBA

2. Diddy81

Diddy81 Walk On

Since taking over the Hokies, how has your team played?

who are you relying on to get things done in Blacksburg?

How is recruiting going?

Can Va Tech win the coastal?

3. ZepHead

ZepHead Futbol!

Things look promising in Blacksburg, for sure. Granted, we weren't playing ACC competition but our defense has played extremely well and I am confident in our offense's ability to put points on the board. But right now I would say that we lack maturity - and it makes a big difference in how you close ball games and whether you can play with a level head in the big ones. We were up 31-0 on Idaho last week, and our second teamers played sloppy ball. The defense gave up two garbage TD drives and the offense fumbled away the football. We need them to step up and be ready because in football you never know when your number will be called.

On offense, our duo of senior running backs Williams and Peak will be carrying the load. On the line, we are much better at run blocking than pass blocking. Our QB and WR play needs a lot of improvement, but if I were forced to point out a weak link in our offense, I'd go with the receivers.

On defense, our front seven has played extremely well, and our corners have been able to hold their own in 1-1 situations thus far. Our first priority is to stop the run and gain a down and distance advantage so we can dictate to the opposing offense. I will be cautiously optimistic, though, because we haven't played anyone in the ACC yet.

Well, as you can see in the Recruiting thread, we are noticeably absent on the lists of most top recruits. Part of that is due to the SEC being so dominant, and in our case we have had some transition. We are going to work hard, though, and bring in guys that want to be Hokies. Expect us to make some noise next year, but I'm positive that we won't be getting any calls from E!SPN on 2013 national signing day :D

That's a tough question! The "U" is in our division, and coach JCA has a very strong squad down in Miami. Also, we were outplayed the last time we coached against each other in the classic OU-Nebraska rivalry game in 2009. We have to improve quickly and play our very best from here on out in order for us to stay competitive with Miami.