Error in Recruiting 40 times

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by GoGators, Aug 6, 2010.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Error in Recruiting 40 times

Ok, so I finally got some time to go through recruiting and I think EA has dropped the ball on one of their ratings calculations or at least their 40 yard dash measurements.

Here's my argument:

Player A:
    40 time = 4.28
    Speed rating = A
    Acc rating = C

Player B:
    40 time = 4.32
    Speed rating = A
    Acc rating = B+

If you recall from EAs video about locomotion, top speed usually takes 40+ yards to get to for a guy like player A with a low acceleration rating. Player B on the other hand, even if he is a step slower at top speed, would hit top speed sooner and would without a doubt put down a faster 40 time. If you put these two side by side, player B would take a step or two lead out of the gates and player A I don't think would pass him until around the 50 yard mark due to his low acceleration rating. I believe this would hold true in reality as well.

So, I think the 40 yard dash times in recruiting are jacked up and don't truly reflect the players ratings. EA's 40 time only considers top speed but that is horribly inaccurate because in reality, the 40 yard dash measures acceleration not top speed. Top speed would be better measured over 100 yards as the true burners usually can accelerate beyond 40 yards.

2. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

40 time = speed and has nothing to do with acceleration. This isn't Sports Science its a video game. EA uses 40 times to let you know what speed your recruits will be and thats it.

There are much bigger problems in how recruits are rated, e.g. 320 pound kid with D strength and so on......

3. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

Off topic a bit, but as a HS football coach I have to say it...

The 40 is the most overrated "measurable" around, closely followed by one-rep maxes.

Thank you for your time and allowing me to take this a bit off topic lol

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Because if one of your kids ran a 4.35 forty time... You'd find a nice spot for him on the pine. (y)

5. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

Lol yep right there next to a 6'5 230lb qb who has a rocket of an arm and a laser for accuracy.

6. fordtuff504

fordtuff504 Walk On

check the shuttle and cone drills for acc and agil ro, 40 time is speed rating only

7. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

I've always heard this as well, that the more important football measurable would be a 10 yard dash.

8. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

you gotta keep in mind the "combine" type scores are really a hold over from the days you had to work out players to find out stats and then figure out what they'd look like as a college player.

9. Jman

Pretty sure I didn't say that.

40 time and game speed are two different things. I've seen tons of 4.5 guys that have tremendous game speed and I've seen the 4.3/4.4 guys that when you put pads on, not so fast. Its an entirely different beast. Look at Wes Welker, having played against him in HS I can tell you first hand that the guy could/can fly on the football field and his elusiveness made/makes him that much "faster" but his almighty 40 time was in the low 4.5's so 95% of the colleges in the nation didn't give him a second look. Game speed and 40 times do not correlate all of the time, that's a fact.

Same with strength, I always laugh when a guy can bench 300+ 1 time and cannot rep out 225 or 275 more than a couple times. Give me the kid that can put up 225 15-20 times, that correlates more to game/strength situations as its a repetition thing.

Besides, how many times do you get to see a guy run a straight line 40 in a game? How about with no pads like when they're tested? Its all 5-10-15 yards bursts. My O-line only has one guy that runs a sub 5.0 40, but their 5-10-5 and 3 cone's are very impressive both of which are all about acceleration and change of direction, when am I going to ask my 250lb guard to run 40 yards? Never. When will I need them to explode for 5-10 yard bursts repeatedly? Every single time.

Just saying. :p

10. DirtycashDylan

Assuming you are talking about your real team and not Wake Forrest, where do you coach?

11. Jman

HS Football and we'll leave it at that :p

12. Jman

Sorry to get this off the topic, it happens though. Now, back to our regularly scheduled Tradition Locker Room stuff lol

13. DirtycashDylan

Yeah, I figured. What class? Urban or rural?

14. benbuckeye

benbuckeye Walk On

guess that thing the NFL holds every year called the combine is pointless than (y)

15. Jman

Not all the NFL coaches take stock in that like the media does.

16. Jman

Kinda a mix really, its almost a rural town that thinks its urban lol. We are shrinking though so I always go with rural.

17. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

If you watch the combine coverage and read various scouts takes, they all say the same thing-that the 40 is pretty much the least important drill. Like jman said, more stock is generally put in the 3 cone and other shuttle drills.

18. DirtycashDylan

Ada?

19. Jman

Haha, nope. Wouldn't tell you if it was though, just don't think it wise to share on a video-game forum, ya know?

20. DirtycashDylan

PM me. I'm just curious. I haven't been to a HS game in several years because I've lived out of state and now I work Fri night and I don't know anyone who'd care even if I did tell them. I'd like to root for somebody if I know one of my TF brethren is coaching for them.

21. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I agree that these are more useful indicators of football speed. However, EA has left them out of the game. So back to my original point, before you used to be able to search by 40 time and find out who the fastest guys were. Now that's not the case and EA hasn't added anything to replace that. I wish they would of added the 20 yard shuttle and the 3 cone drill. It'd be pretty cool and would make searching the recruiting database easier. I'm pretty sure all college coaches get these times from the kids.

22. babydemon90

babydemon90 Walk On

unless you are Al Davis....