Escaping Athens

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Mogriffjr, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    At home, Trey Smith ran wild on the Utes. Well as quickly as he was busting off 67-80 yard runs, he was getting shut down by the Georgia defense. So no, this is not a story about Trey Smith.

In fact Smith was ineffective the whole game as the Georgia defensive line dominated the Nebraska offensive line. Smith ran for just 13 yards on 14 carries.

It led to a very slow start for the Cornhuskers and a key change at halftime to spread them apart.

Shotgun and 3-4 WR sets and Nebraska gained some confidence. Down 6-0 starting the 3rd quarter, they would finally score when Martinez hit WR Steve McCauley on a post, as the CB made a bad read on the play. 77 yards later the Cornhuskers would score.

Then what possibly turned this game around was on Georgia's next possession, star-RB Michael Ford fumbled trying to spin away from FR-FS Craig Mack. Mack's hit forced a fumbled and it was recovered by Nebraska. Martinez would score the 2nd TD of the game giving Nebraska a 14-6 lead.

Then it was like two prized fighters trading blows in the middle of the ring as both squads offenses were in full force, Georgia's run game and Nebraska's pass game. Ford scored twice on long runs of 29 and 71 yards while Nebraska punched one in from a yard out behind FB C.J. Zimmer. With the score tied 21, both team's then regained their focus trading punts and making key defensive stops. It was Nebraska who got the ball with around 3 minutes to go and went to work with some key passes to McCauley and Scott to set up a 33yard FG. 24-21 Nebraska.

With 1:41 left in the game Georgia's offense went quietly on their last possession, not getting a 1st down in the process and Nebraska escaped Athens with a big time victory.

• Like Like x 1
  2. makinpropel

makinpropel Go Big Red!

Very fun game. I don't think that fumble recovery was the correct call. The ball, and the guy recovering it, were out of bounds, so how it should have just been my ball where the ball went out of bounds.

I knew after that play, and after you scored to go 21-14, that I was probably not going to win this game. I don't play very well from behind, because I'm not a very good passer. As you saw during the game, at least 3 of those passes that were complete, should have been intercepted by you, so I got really lucky, and don't really trust myself back there throwing it around. It was a fun 2nd half though, and its hard to complain as a team when you hold a Heisman finalists to under 1 yards per carry.

• Like Like x 2