ESPN Magazine, The "Q" Edition

Discussion in 'Quality Simulation Football' started by CTfromDC, Aug 26, 2013.

1. CTfromDC

CTfromDC Where my money?

[​IMG]

As promised an interview with the Commish. Gruden was too busy, but ESPN Analyst Michael Wilbon was able to conduct it. See below....

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. CTfromDC

CTfromDC Where my money?

[​IMG]

1. Thanks for sitting down with me Commissioner Jim. A lot of folks out there want to know where the vision for the QSF came from and what are your expectations for the league?

The Q definitely has it's roots in the great leagues run by Doug (CHUNKNESS) & Eddie (pittrocks43) in past Madden releases. From the time I first joined up with these guys, I knew they did things the right way and that's the kind of league I wanted to be a part of. I had a great run as a member of their leagues and ultimately became a co-commissioner for them in M13. Throughout that time I learned many things from them both about how to run a successful league. When the opportunity presented itself for someone to step up and lead our band of misfits, I thought long and hard about the possibility. I was very lucky to have Michael Overman, a former league commissioner himself, agree to help me out as my co-commissioner and I decided to step up to the challenge. Having Doug in the league, and assisting with anything and everything, has been a huge advantage as well to getting things off the ground; and I can't thank them both enough for their support. As far as my vision and expectations for the league moving forward; I want The Q to be considered one of the best sim leagues around. We will be an active and respectful community where everyone will pull their weight or be held accountable. One mantra we have put out there from the start of our journey is that membership in The Q should be considered a privilege and not a right, and that goes for EVERYONE. I am looking forward to a great inaugural season for The QSF on Madden 25 and I am very excited about the group of owners we have in place!

2. It's seems that you've had a bit of luck on your side the last two cycles, securing the #1 pick in Madden 13 and then the #2 pick in this years 25th Anniversary Edition of Madden, congrats! You chose to take over ownership of a loaded team, rather than build up your Browns, why is that?

I'll tell you, I was ecstatic to get the #1 pick last year. I wasn't involved with the drawing or announcement either, so I was cool with it. This year I created the damned lottery generator and low and behold I get #2. I made the generator available so everyone could see it was truly random. Anyone that knows me knows I am not the type to rig things in my favor or take liberties because of my position. I have been in leagues with commissioners like that, and it's not a good experience. I almost decided on a lesser team, simply because I was picking so high again. I thought about it though and considered what I would do if I wasn't the commissioner. I really like what the Seahawks have to offer, so they were just too good to pass up. After 2 straight release of taking my Browns, I went another direction last year and chose the Panthers. Had we not rebooted, where I once again selected the Browns, I probably would have selected the Browns this year again. I am not adverse to a project team at all, and have a lot of fun building them up, but you can't argue with taking an immediate contender either. The way I see it, either way I am going to be making moves and putting my own touches on the team; I just have more pieces to play with on the Seahawks.

3. Read Option has gone viral in the National Football League. Everyone seems to be trying to implement some version of it into their offensive schemes it seems, hell, Peyton Manning lined up in the Pistol the other night. What are your thoughts on it? Will you be running the Read Option this year, or using a more conventional offense?

I'll tell you what, before last season I was not a fan of the read option or running QBs in general. When I selected the Panthers I figured I may play with the r/o a little bit, but it wasn't really a factor in my decision. I really wanted a young, strong armed QB after years of dealing with noodle armed Colt McCoy and the like. It didn't take me long to fall in love with the diversity that the r/o brings to an offense. My opponents this year can definitely expect to see a little r/o action with Russell Wilson. Now as far as my view on it from a commissioner standpoint; I have no problem with a team that incorporates the r/o into their game plan the right way. Just like anything else in the game, all good things in moderation. The last thing I want to have to do is start making rules and limitations because some knucklehead is leading the league in rushing with his QB, or running more r/o plays than traditional running plays. I think we have the right group of guys here, who understand what is expected and know not to abuse any one facet of the game.

4. There have been rumors of a couple of franchises looking to relocate, namely the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Jacksonville Jaguars, and possibly the Cincinnati Bengals. What is your take on relocation, will there be any league/owner votes to determine if relocation is permitted or will owners have free will?

Relocation is a very intriguing part of Madden 25. I can say with certainty that to maintain the integrity of the league throughout the whole M25 cycle, we most certainly will not allow teams to move with free will. There will be an approval process before a team can even initiate relocation in the game. We should have more details on the exact parameters of the relocation approval process soon, but the haven't quite been finalized as of yet.

5. Talent wise, your Seahawks are among the elite in the game, with numerous all-pro caliber players on both sides of the ball. Your rival just south of you, San Francisco 49ers, are as loaded with talent, if not more than you guys. How do you stop Kapernick? I mean you had to have seen what he did to Green Bay in the playoffs...just in case, here is a peek http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000125585/Colin-Kaepernick-highlights ...

I am very aware of the talent in San Francisco, as well as their muscle kissing QB. The Rams and Cards are on the come up as well, so it's going to be a fun division for sure. While I made some noise on offense last year with Cam & company, my forte has always been more defense minded. One feat I am very proud of is leading the league in passing D, rushing D, and total D in my last played season with the Panthers. I look forward to the unique challenges that my D will face when going up against a powerhouse offense such as San Francisco's.

6. It looks like the league is built to last. I mean, from the hand picking of the owners, to the formation of the "brain trust" that is yourself, Michael O. and Doug, and the general activeness of all involved. It's shaping up nicely. Any surprises that we can look forward to? The "Announcements" were a great way to build anticipation, it reminded me of "The Decision" by Queen James, except there was no backlash, everyone was all smiles.

That is definitely our goal, we are in this for the long haul and expect the same out of our owners. I have heard multiple people comment about the intensity of our application screening process, this is intentional. We know that any league is only as good as it's owners; so we need to do our part to ensure we have the best owners we can, to make this league a huge success for all involved. As far as surprises...if I told you in wouldn't be much of a surprise ;). Seriously though, we are constantly looking for ways to improve the league, so you never know when there might be some new news to be announced. As far as LeBum... :finger: to him!

7. Finally, give us a prediction of who you have coming out of the NFC and AFC this year and why.

I am assuming you mean in The Q here. It tough to say, because at this point only half the teams have been picked, and obviously the owners are the real key. As of right now I have to say:AFC: Curtis is downright lethal, for those that don't know him. Now he has a young team with plenty of talent, look out!
    NFC: I hate to be that guy that picks himself, because I don't tend to be very cocky. But I would have no business picking a team like the Seahawks if I didn't have Super Bowl aspirations year 1.

My Prediction for the Super Bowl: Colts Vs. Seahawks

• Like Like x 7
  3. CTfromDC

CTfromDC Where my money?

Owner Carousel Continues, we are at number 16 with more changes to come...Most fans are estatic about the regime changes, but, all of Cincinnati's fanbase may not be happy with the new direction of the team and Mr. Turners vision.....Take a look at what was on their website!!! Word on the streets in that a petition has already been started to keep the team in place, in Cincinnati...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  4. thafuture3886

thafuture3886 Power Rankings Analyst

Good stuff! And thanks LtJustice for the big target on my back (n)

• Like Like x 4
  5. Warhawk AKA dreadman

Warhawk AKA dreadman Walk On

Good work fellas!

• Like Like x 3
  6. cry_havoc

cry_havoc Walk On

And here we go again lol

• Like Like x 1
  7. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

You'll always have a huge bullseye on your back as far as I'm concerned.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Michael Overman

Michael Overman Walk On

Great Work Great Read!

• Like Like x 2
  9. CTfromDC

CTfromDC Where my money?

Are the Colts that good? I need a scrim!

10. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Curtis? Nah he sucks man. Total doormat.

:whistle:

• Like Like x 6
  11. thafuture3886

Don't listen to em, I am not good

• Like Like x 2
  12. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Great read CTfromDC and LtJustice !!! Jim, I'm looking forward to watching you build your empire.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ninersfan80

Ninersfan80 Walk On

Guess I will find out week 3 :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Don't forget to wear your chin strap (or your jock strap for that matter).

• Like Like x 2
  15. Ninersfan80

Ninersfan80 Walk On

I will defeat this so called great!! Quote me

• Like Like x 2
  16. Warhawk AKA dreadman

All i know is that i paid curt off last year to win my way into the playoffs :woot: :whistle: :sneaky:

• Like Like x 3
  17. thafuture3886

Told yall im not good, don't listen to these guys

18. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

After the ass kicking you gave me in the NFC Championship game I'd have to disagree with you there lol

• Like Like x 1
  19. CTfromDC

CTfromDC Where my money?

yea, im starting to smell bullshit...i wanna scrim wen u get a chance,i need to see when these bengals stand

20. CTfromDC

CTfromDC Where my money?

21. PepperNY

PepperNY Fear the Spear

• Like Like x 6
  22. Warhawk AKA dreadman

LOL :happy:

23. thafuture3886

:whistle::whistle:

24. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

• Like Like x 2
  25. thafuture3886

In all seriousness, I haven't played madden since like March. Ya'll need to be worried about guys like LtJustice klaximilian and cry_havoc as well as everyone else in the league. Anybody can win on any given night. I know it's cliche but it definitely holds true in this league