Expansion: you know its coming..

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by vatechhokie01, May 18, 2012.

1. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

and the Big 12 and the SEC threw down the freakin gauntlet and gave the ultimate F-you to everyone else.

ACC screwed. Way to go Swofford... freakin idiot.

2. vatechhokie01

my crazy and too early prediction(but i think this all goes down much sooner than you think)

FSU and Clemson to Big 12
    VT and NC State to SEC
    ND and UVA to Big 10 first
    GT and Rutgers to Big 10 second (all about markets. MD possibly but no way MD more valuable/potential than UVA)

wildcard: at what point does UNC stab Duke in the back and go somewhere... cuz they're wanted

but don't see ND to the ACC... not now. no way. The Big 4 setting up to assure that the playoff is the champ from those 4.. period.

3. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Considering that at least one those conferences are always represented in the title game, all this amounts to is another Sugar/Fiesta bowl.
    All of this jumping ship and conference realignment is extremely short sighted IMO. Great rivalries are being thrown away (which makes college football such a great product) in a short term sprint for more money. The long term implications could be counter productive to many of these schools.

I've said all along that mega conferences are awful ideas. Texas/Texas AM, Mizzou/Kansas, Colorado/Nebraska, Pitt/WVU are all long time rivalries that have bit the dust since the first major wave and more will follow.

How the hell then can you create a 4 team playoff from 4 16 team conferences? That's much worse than the system now. That literally keeps over 70 FBS teams from being able to compete for a title?

4. vatechhokie01

yea, i don't disagree with almost anything you said necessarily, but just that I think "literally keeps over 70 FBS teams from being able to compete for a title" is the actual hope of the Big 4...

It's (sadly again) a money issue (always!)... and the big guns (SEC) are tired of the little guns (the NCAA) riding their coattails. They see a 64-team league of focused money and talent as a no-win situation. Why do they care about Boise State? They don't.

I will say this... every single bit of this is the NCAA's fault. They are arrogant, greedy, prideful and delusional. and they have had this coming for so long. They are not government and they are not mandatory. The NCAA will not exist (with any relevancy) soon. Doesn't need to.

Not saying this will be in the end good for college football, but I will say football is king, and a 64 team sub-NFL would not hurt for viewers or cash.

i mean it's pretty simple, right? NCAA football is a business. The SEC (with the other 3) are the Wal-Marts and Targets. All the others are mom and pop shops. Wal-mart wins every time. Capitalism is a bitch. Really no way to stop that train minus Congressional involvement. I'm sure lawsuits will fly but over what? These are a) independent institutions and b) any lawsuit would ironically be the little guys proclaiming that in fact their school isn't about education... but athletics. In other words, through their suit they would be calling for football to continue to be capitalistic while at the same time trying to destroy the free market.

Crazy crap. But its been coming for years. ANd things will look different to be sure.

FWIW, my bro, who is in fact just a soccer coach but does talk and attend all the SEC meetings, etc, thinks the SEC has been insanely hush-hush about their current/new TV deal (everyone notice how they are worth 5 times more than anyone else but still have an old contract worth less than others) all because they have been orchestrating expansion and waiting for it to solidify and then shocking the world with some unbelievable money deal.

I must admit, sounds pretty logical to me.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  5. vatechhokie01

P.S. Most think that this actually was the dagger of daggers... the beginning of the tangible visible coup. And that this will be outside the current bowls and in fact literally be one of 2 semifinals of the playoff. Just part of the orchestration.

6. vatechhokie01

our carousel would be pointless and that pisses me off :mad:

7. krbonn76

krbonn76 Walk On

We would actually have to get the promotion's to be worth a damn :)

8. ThePlague0208

ThePlague0208 Walk On

Which I expect to get in year 2!

• Like Like x 2
  9. krbonn76

krbonn76 Walk On

Only if you are Weave do you get that kind of treatment (y)