Expansion

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by PAgamer07, Apr 28, 2013.

1. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

It looks like we will unfortunately not be able to add a second OOTP league to The Dugout any time soon. Due to server issues and the amount of bandwidth required to host a second league here on TSO, I just do not see how it is possible. Even if I were to host a league through OOTP itself, we would still be unable to have statslab for the second league. Which is required for the draft alone.

With that said... I would like your thoughts on adding a second league within The Dugout Universe. I would like to add the Nippon Baseball League (Japan).

The main reason obviously would be to add more members to our roster. But we could also expand on the idea somewhat. For instance... perhaps put a form of firing or contract system in place. This gives GMs a reason to actually pay attention, win and be profitable.

Owners would be allowed to either switch teams to another league if a team is available during the offseason. This could be due to someone getting fired, quitting The Dugout, or just wanting to play in the Nippon League.

This can easily be setup within OOTP. We currently have a nice list of owners willing to join The Dugout and this would get them on board.

Discuss The Dugout

Mogriffjr
    smlVICTORIES53
    Bulldog
    hammerhead1010
    Sharkman37
    I Peench

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
    • Like Like x 6
  2. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

3. PAgamer07

There are 12 teams in Nippon League FYI...

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  4. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

So while GMs are competing over here in America we will have GMs in Japan competing against each other? And with the possibility of being able to go GM in Japan and work our way to America when someone gets fired or vice versa? Sounds like a sweet idea to me! :cool:

5. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

I've actually been to a Yokohama Bay Stars game... I shotgun them

6. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

And I like the idea of firing GM's if they don't meet owner expectations, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  7. PAgamer07

• Like Like x 1
  8. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

How does the logistics work? Trades/FA's/draft? Are they allowed between leagues? Is the MLB a level above NPB?

While I'm really not in favor of adding people, just because its hard enough to have 30 active MLB owners, I don't see much harm in doing it this way.

9. JohnnyClutch

JohnnyClutch They only hear my truth

I support the idea of the Japan league and coach movement due to be fired, etc.

10. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    How tethered would the leagues be? Meaning if a star Japanese player is killing it in the Nippon league, could he transfer to the MLB ala Yu Darvish?

11. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

This seems like it'd be a cool way to get my foot in the door. Admittedly, I don't know enough about how this all works to give any other input.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

So would the "star" players in Japan be 2 stars or would they be unrealistically as talented as the ML players?

13. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

This is a great question. If it can be done, this would be an amazing addition to this league.

14. PAgamer07

Trades between the leagues would not be allowed. Free Agents would be. Great question with the draft. They have to have two seperate draft pools. Mainly due to origin as well as it being impossible to determine draft order.

As for quality of the league itself? This is determined by OOTP. Japanese Leagues by default are lesser quality overall. Granted you have the occasional Ichiro or Kuroda, but for the most part the talent is less.

15. PAgamer07

Certainly something to discuss. I am not sure about performance based firings. Mainly due to the fact that owners have A LOT of say in what your budget is. I do like financial and activity based firings. If we did go with a system of performanced based, it would have to be at least 7 seasons or something. Not sure about that though.

16. PAgamer07

Interestingly enough... this happens in OOTP '13 although we don't see it. With '14 commisioners have much, much more control over this. Like I said above though, Free Agency would happen.

17. PAgamer07

Start practicing with OOTP '14 ;)

18. PAgamer07

See my answer to Ty. No. By default Japanese Leagues are lesser quality. They aren't 2 star quality. That would be like the Mexican League or something.

19. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

Sounds cool to me.

20. PAgamer07

Now keep in mind everyone. This will be completely new territory and there will be some bumps in the road. I was still learning what I could and could not do until season 3 or so with this version of the game. Same with occasional rule changes (contract incentives, drafting, etc). So once this is in place, there may be some tweaking until the system is figured out.

If this does happen (which I haven't heard any opposition) it will take place with the switch to OOTP '14. Which will be during the 2020/2021 offseason.

21. Bulldog

Bulldog Coach Richt is my Dawg!

Great idea been wanting to get in on this for a while now.

• Like Like x 1
  22. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

NO. There ya go.

Edit: I changed my mind. It sounds cool as shit.

• Like Like x 1
  23. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

Uh, 2* is basically a decent ML player. I'd hope the Japanese league is worse than that. Average ML players are not playing in Japan. And is there any way for the posting system to be incorporated into the game?

24. PAgamer07

I don't think the game allows it. The new system is nice though. Play around with 14.

Also keep in mind stars are relative to the individual leagues per our settings. A 4* in Japan would most likely be 2 or 3 in mlb

25. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Tremel Sledge was playing for Yokohama a few years ago...