(F12) Discipline System

Discussion in 'TSL: Tradition Soccer League' started by RedAL925, Mar 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedAL925

RedAL925 TSL Commissioner

Take from the Rules & Regulations document (to be updated later this week):

League Discipline and the Card System
    In an effort to incentivize completion of games and sportsmanlike conduct, a manager discipline system will be enforced throughout the season. Yellow cards will be issued for scheduling problems, and red cards will be issued for unsportsmanlike conduct. Cards will be issued on a case to case basis, and can be issued at any time after a match week has closed. Understand that card accumulation will result in a “shorter leash” in the discipline system. The updated card count can be found here: LINK

Unplayed Matches (Yellow)
    Yellow cards will be issued for cancelled matches and other scheduling issues. If a manager accumulates 3yellow cards in a given season, that manager will be removed from the league for that season and allowed to return the next season. If a manager is twice banned due to yellow card accumulation, that manager will be permanently banned from the league. Yellow card counts reset after each completed season.

When scheduling issues arise, forum posts will be the primary source used by management to issue cards, since we have no way of tracking AIM/PSN/other conversations that may occur. Therefore, it is in your best interest to make an effort each week to use the fixture thread.

Keep in mind that by joining this league, you are expected to be able to complete 2-4 games per week (depending on league schedule). If this might be a problem, please seek out your league commissioner. We can and will accommodate for extensions, so long as you alert your commissioner in a timely manner.

Unsportsmanlike Conduct (Red)
    Red cards will be issued for unsportsmanlike conduct. Red card counts reset after each iteration of the FIFA franchise is released. Once a manager accumulates 3 red cards, he will be permanently banned from the league. There are two situations where a red card may be issued:

1. Unbalanced Scorelines: Games that finish with a goal differential of 5 or more goals will be automatically reviewed and subject to a red card. This decision will rest in the hands of the losing team. To clarify, when a result is posted with a 5+ goal differential, the assigned commissioner of that league will reach out to the losing team to determine if a red card is warranted. Based on this information, a final decision will be made.

2. Manager Complaints: If a manager feels their opponent played in an unsportsmanlike manner, they will be asked to send a PM to their designated commissioner detailing any unsportsmanlike incidents. After providing this information, the commissioner will then discuss possible reprimands with the management team.

Any post game data will help the management team in making a disciplinary decision. For example, pictures of game play metrics (tackle charts/stats, halftime splits, etc.) would help provide a clearer picture of the issue at hand.

Appeals
    If the offending manager feels he was wrongly issued a card, an appeal can be made to management. In a courteous and civilized manner, a PM should be sent to your respective commissioner detailing the incident and asking that the card be rescinded. A dialogue will be opened, and appropriate measures will be taken based on this discussion.

2. RedAL925

One caveat I will add is that we are still deciding on what do to with postponed games (as we have discussed in the other thread). This will affect the issuing of yellow cards, and will be reflected in the Rules & Regs once it has been decided.

If you have any questions or concerns, please air them here.

I am anticipating the following questions:

"What if I try to schedule but my opponent doesn't...will I get penalized?" - No.

"What if I'm away on vacation and can't make up my games...will I get penalized?" - As long as you posted in the vacation thread or alerted your commissioner, you will not be penalized.

"What if I was accused (rightly or wrongly) of pressuring opponents on defense, will I get a card right away?"
    - No, everyone starts with a clean slate. But you have garnered that reputation, so you will be monitored more closely by your opponents and by management.

3. BESHIKTAS

BESHIKTAS Almighty Black Eagles

Past couple of nights I have played a few members still pressuring during goal-kick and throw ins. It is very clear not to pressure during these events. If you happen to be better than your opponent and score 4 -5 goals more than him, make sure you set up your seetings to ultra- defense and let him attack, soo he feels a part of the game.

Sometimes tho, some players kick the ball during goal kick instead of passing to the closer team-mate. That kick sometimes falls short and meets my player infront of the mid-line. What to do when that happens? I feel like it is not fair to give the ball back, since it`s goalkeeper`s mistake.

4. RedAL925

This reminds me of something: little things like this would not necessarily lead to a card right away. If you notice your opponent pressures on GKs or uses a custom set piece, let management know and we'll talk to the offender. If it continues to happen, a card will likely be issued.

As far as this particular situation, use your best judgement. I don't like scoring cheap goals from something like a botched GK, so I'd either kick it out of bounds or kick it back to my defenders and start from there.

5. BESHIKTAS

That is what I do I just pass the ball to my defenders, and start from the back.

6. RedAL925

DISCIPLINE TRACKER

shiftee - :redcard:
    CxMacx10 - :redcard:
    danwin - :yellowcard:
    Bling_CO - :yellowcard:
    bigox1337 - :yellowcard:
    BESHIKTAS - :yellowcard:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  7. Frenchie1916

Frenchie1916 Just a clodhopper of footballer, running pell mell

Just to check - custom set-pieces on free kicks and corners are a no-no? I don't use them myself, but have faced a number of opponents who do, particularly on corners. I don't really have a problem with them, as I figured they're a legitimate part of the game.

8. vipermansa

vipermansa Walk On

I would like to know the answer to this as well. I use a custom for corners only.

9. RedAL925

Custom Set Pieces are frowned upon in this league. For the most part, custom set pieces "confuse" the defensive AI, allowing for a free header almost every time. Better to stay away from them completely.

10. BESHIKTAS

League Settings
    • Online Modes > Online Friendlies > (select opponent) > Invite to Friendly
    • Team Level: Any
    • Half Length: 10 min
    • Controls: Semi-Assisted
    • Defense: Tactical Defending
    • Game Speed: Normal
    • Squad Type: Custom

Does this need to change? This is in the league description .

11. RedAL925

yes, I haven't changed the document since we haven't settled on a ppd system. It will be updated and you will be alerted as to when that is

12. Friz

Friz Walk On

Featured Threads:
    If you have a problem with the way an opponent plays a game, do what you can to provide some visual evidence. The two I would suggest looking at regarding high pressure are tackle charts and individual tackle statistics. This is an extreme example, but I recently played a head to head match online against someone I think we would all agree would not fit in this league. The game ended 2-2, I had trailed most of the game. The final tackle chart looked like this:

[​IMG]

I was blue, he was green, at no point in the game did he trail, yet every time I touched the ball at any part of the field there were multiple people flying at me with tackles. Conversely, I play defense the same way in head to head as I do in the league. This was an absolute extreme example of high pressure, and exactly what we never want to see from a TFS game. If you are tied, winning, or even losing with a fair amount of time left on the clock, you should not be chasing people down in their defensive half if they have clear possession. 50/50 balls are one thing, high pressure across the whole field is different. I understand there is the potential for a few tackles in the offensive end, I've run into situations where my player takes a bad first touch to lose the ball, and his natural running path tackles the ball back immediately after losing it. There are other situations, but What I don't want to see is a consistently high number, or even a consistently moderate number, in your attacking half, especially in games that spend a lot of time tied or with you winning.

13. BESHIKTAS

It looks like he tackled 9 times more than you did. Is that extreme or are you talking about the places he was tackling ?

14. Friz

Friz Walk On

Featured Threads:
    places rather than amount. most people end games with more tackles than me just because of my style of defense, i was more stressing the point of avoiding the high pressure in the attacking end when its not necessary

15. hokie79

hokie79 Walk On

This is actually good to know - i didnt know this or maybe just didnt read properly in the rules. I actually used Custom Set Pieces in Corners mostly - so good to know to just not do it anymore. My bads -- maybe it's good since my set pieces are pretty crappy anyways and always leads to a good counter!

16. IJGator

IJGator Walk On

These are good charts to look at. Any tackles made in the offensive 1/3 need to be looked at. Instances where there is a 50/50 for the ball on the deep wings is ok. This example is perfect because you will notice there are zero tackles by blue over the mid line. When you see scattered tackles all over the pitch like green about it is a dead give away of high pressure tactics.

17. RedAL925

One more thing I'd like to point out:

The vacation thread will become much more important with the advent of this system. If we don't know you're going to be away, we won't re-open or extend your grave period in unplayed games. So please be sure to post there when you know you will be absent for an extended period of time.

18. RedAL925

Format:

MANAGER has been issued a Red Card for unsportsmanlike conduct. MANAGER used high-pressure defensive tactics throughout the match, even though the result was beyond a doubt. MANAGER's appeal was denied. This is MANAGER's Xth Red Card.

or

MANAGER has been issued a Yellow Card for unplayed matches. MANAGER failed to complete his match vs MANAGER2 on Matchday X. This is MANAGER's Xth Yellow Card.

19. danwin

danwin Walk On

Unfortunately I'm losing in most of my games. :) If I'm down say 2-1, when is it ok for me to pressure on my opponents end of the pitch? 10 minutes left, 5 minutes???? There should be some point when this is ok because it happens in real life.

20. RedAL925

The 60' mark seems to be the breaking point as far as pressure goes. But this DOES NOT give you license to revert to H2H mode and pressure like crazy. Remember, apply REASONABLE and NECESSARY pressure in these circumstances.

21. danwin

danwin Walk On

I'm not going to pressure the goal keeper on goal kicks ever or do just stupid unsportsmanlike stuff. Just feel there is a point where pressure is needed to try to get back in a match. the 60' minute mark seems fair enough.

22. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

At the 60' mark you can start taking more risks with pressure, but personally I think in a 1 goal game the type of pressure you might be referring to (where you push up to all attack and go for broke) shouldn't happen before the 75-80' mark.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Go Devils

Go Devils Agnostic Pastafarian

Perfect example was our game Zikry in Coppa. I had the lead at the 60' mark and your attack style increased, but at no point was I dodging dual slide tackling defenders every time I touched the ball. I appreciated that highly and it was a pleasure to play you. Not blowing smoke up your ass, because you know, guys like us don't do that. :)

But this to me was how games should be played. Of course with a lead I expect to see more pressure on my players as I bring the ball out of my half, but not to the point at which it is comical. I think the new rules have dramatically improved play, even if there still are a few stinkers, I think the discipline system at some point will help smoke them out of their holes. :)

• Like Like x 1
  24. danwin

danwin Walk On

I'm not talking about going for broke. At the 60' mark, I would start pressuring a bit more as my opponent starts to bring the ball to midfield. About where the circle in the middle of the field starts on his side of the pitch. Then going for broke around 75' to 80' mark.

25. RedAL925

Shiftee has been issued a Red Card for unsportsmanlike conduct. Shiftee used the public thread to argue with his opponent in an uncivilized manner. There will be no appeal. This is shiftee's first Red Card offense.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.