(F14) Gameplay Discussion

Discussion in 'TSL: Tradition Soccer League' started by WingedHelmet, Sep 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WingedHelmet

WingedHelmet Walk On

One game in vs. CPU on professional; plays a lot like the demo.

Finesse shots seemed to have been toned down. Headers have not.

2. Frenchie1916

Frenchie1916 Just a clodhopper of footballer, running pell mell

What about the ball physics as they relate to the sidelines? In the demo, it was like you were playing on astroturf - the ball just kept rolling and rolling and never slowing down. Minor point, but an annoyance nonetheless.

3. WingedHelmet

WingedHelmet Walk On

Headers are going to be an issue. Three online games, I've given up 9 goals. Eight of them have been headers.

Ball physics seem the same.

4. WingedHelmet

WingedHelmet Walk On

Four or five games online: Maybe it's because I'm not used to dribbling but high pressure tactics seem crazy difficult to combat.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

Good thing that this won't be an issue in league play then :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. WingedHelmet

WingedHelmet Walk On

Really can't stress enough how overpowered headers in online play are. I played five or six games and didn't see a strong clearance a single time; the only times I prevented the ST from scoring were little tips off the top of my head that went out the other way.

I can't wait for the game to be released so I can hear some other opinions on how to dribble the ball. Turning L2 into a shield button has totally killed my flow.

7. RedAL925

RedAL925 TSL Commissioner

Agree on both points. I started trying a press & hold of O on headers and it seems to work a little better than mashing it, but it's still pretty bad.

And I'm still trying to figure out dribbling. There's no control in tight spaces

8. WingedHelmet

WingedHelmet Walk On

With the new player momentum, playing with semi-assisted controls is tough (especially against playeres using assisted controls). Lots of times my teammates would be making runs and I'd pass the ball the tiniest bit behind them; they couldn't turn fast enough and the defender would come up and steal the ball.

This is actually a positive to me, but will take some getting used to.

• Like Like x 1
  9. WingedHelmet

WingedHelmet Walk On

Also, skill moves are much easier to pull off. This makes going up against defenders 1v1 a lot of fun.

Still can't hold onto the ball in tight areas though. With the change of the L2 button to shield, there are now two options:

1. L1. In theory this will work okay, but since L1 is the same button as "send teammate on run," even if I'm able to get away from the defender(s), I now have no one to pass the ball to because my teammates have abandoned me to go off on some hopeless run forward. I haven't checked, but maybe there's a way to remove the "send teammate on run" function of L1. This would be ideal.

2. L2+R2. This is the face up and dribble button, which is good if you're trying to go forward but not if you're trying to reverse field or turn away from a defender. In theory, that's what the L2 button is for, but L2 seems completely random to me as to whether the player tries to make a cut vs. turn his back and throw his ass into the defender. The speed burst you get when releasing L2 is nice, but I struggle with having to press both triggers AND another button on the controller.

10. RedAL925

The other thing with L1 is that you go so slow and take such small touches it's hardly worth the trouble. I think face up is going to be the way to go

11. WingedHelmet

WingedHelmet Walk On

I've been experimenting with tapping L1; mixed results. The game speed in general is so much slower than even the slow setting on FIFA '13 that my timing is all off, on top of everything else.

12. WingedHelmet

WingedHelmet Walk On

I haven't been able to get the L2+R2 face up button to work at ALL if I cut in and go perpendicular to the sideline.

13. WingedHelmet

WingedHelmet Walk On

Well...

After a day with the game (10 online seasons games and one offline game against the CPU), I'm not a fan. I say this as someone who stuck with the abomination that is NCAA Football until two iterations ago.

I went 3-3-4 online, playing with West Ham against teams like Liverpool, Borussia Dortmund, and Celta Vigo. I gave up a TON of goals, over 75 percent of which came off a cross. For every goal that went in due to lax marking on the back post, three went in through my perfectly placed defender.

By itself the crossing issue could be looked past. But when combining it with the utter failure that is the "shied ball" button, the game is borderline unplayable. Trying to keep the ball against "honest" defenders is an exercise in futility. When playing against a high pressure user, it's impossible. The L2 button that was so effective last year in getting high pressure defenders to "blow by," is gone, leaving no counter to the lobby-style press. Within a week this tactic will dominate seasons games.

Even when attempting to use the "shield ball" button as its intended, it doesn't work. Andy Carroll, in theory one of the strongest players in the game, was hopeless playing with his back to goal. Despite pressing L2, high pressure defenders would win the ball by going through him. There was no hold up play, only a low-percentage choice between one-touching the ball back out or turning it over.

There is literally no incentive to do anything other than play the ball wide and serve it in. My hope moving forward s that the PS4 version plays significantly different, so that I'm only stuck with this for a month and a half. In all honesty, I'm seriously considering not buying the game that I played year-round for the past four years.

Back at it tomorrow, which will hopefully be better...

14. RedAL925

Is it possible they made this game both better and worse? Only EA...

15. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

It is literally impossible to stop the crossed in header for a goal. Best hope is that the striker misses it because your defender isn't getting near it.

16. WingedHelmet

WingedHelmet Walk On

I've been having some success with my main two issues today.

On crosses, it seems better if you switch on to the CB before the service. I think the issue is that the animation hiccups when you switch to the CB when the ball is already in the air, overcompensating and causing your momentum to take you a step in the wrong direction. Defending has been better after I made this change, but no where near okay.

With respect to dribbling, L2+R2 has been working okay as well. After trying L2, L1, and even trying to dribble using only the L-Stick, I've come to the realization that L2+R2 is the only dribbling technique with even any potential. I'm still terrible at it.

17. IJGator

IJGator Walk On

I've learned with the game you can no longer press forward with the ball unless you have an incredible skilled dribbler. Midfielders seem to play such a pivotal role in advancing the ball. Control the ball in the midfield and then pass wide seems to be a great strategy. Once the winger has it, you can create space and cross or pass to the top of the box.

I think FIFA 14 suits the sim style pace we are all used to.

The one thing I think will be difficult to combat is the pressure in the back line. after a turnover, the offensive players immediately look to cover the closest defender instead of retreating.

18. IJGator

IJGator Walk On

yeah, I disagree with the control in tight spaces. you have ability to control each touch.

19. IJGator

IJGator Walk On

I actually have enjoyed the game and find it much more sim than FIFA 13. Momentum has such an impact on everything now. Once you speed up with turbo, there is no more quick stops. faster your player goes, it becomes harder and harder to turn and cut.

The player runs by the CPU are really well done especially from the midfielders. Lots of diagonal runs in this years version which allows the ball to be played into areas that were just not used in Fifa 13.

I'm up for some friendlies tonight if anyone else has the early release.

**side note** my first official goal came online via a header from El Hamdaoui

20. WingedHelmet

WingedHelmet Walk On

I'll play tonight so you can show me this "control every touch" thing. What button are you pressing while you dribble in tight areas (if any button)?

21. IJGator

IJGator Walk On

I use different buttons depending on the area. Toward the sidelines I use the L2 to keep the defender away since there is no threat of it getting stolen on the sideline. L1 in the midfield or top of the box, but zero quickness when using L1. I'll use L1 when a defender is coming in hot to do a small sidestep.

When I have some space, I won't use any buttons and only turbo on the counter with TONS of space.

22. IJGator

IJGator Walk On

I forgot, when using L2 I'm usually not moving but standing still. When I start to move ill release L2.

23. Go Devils

Go Devils Agnostic Pastafarian

"Title Update" fixes everything perhaps? :) Remember... this EA has been very different than the Madden / NCAA EA. At least in my opinion, but this will probably release the heathens.

24. BESHIKTAS

BESHIKTAS Almighty Black Eagles

I know who would get the most benefit out of this :)

• Like Like x 1
  25. Go Devils

Go Devils Agnostic Pastafarian

Shiiiit everyone will be at first. It will be just like the lob pass last year at the beginning of the cycle. These things happen, we'll figure it out and move on. Always have, always will. Good guys in place here, minus the pound signs. :blackeye:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.