FA Tags or Salary Cap?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by trutest, Dec 1, 2009.

?

Which do you prefer?

1. Free Agent TAG

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Salary Cap

100.0%
  1. trutest

trutest Walk On

FA Tags or Salary Cap?

What will you as an owner enjoy more?

Free Agent Tag system

OR

Salary Cap System

I was excited when I saw the FA pool in the offseason but now that I have a team I like in real life, I don't like it so much. I'm being forced to move and lose players on my favorite team just because of their age / max of 5 tags. With the Salary cap system, we will be able to keep the players we like in real life by cutting others and freeing up money.

2. hurdrs123

hurdrs123 Walk On

I'd like a Salary Cap, Ray Lewis is getting up there in age, and starting to decline. I'm really not excited about giving him a TAG, but can you really let him play for any one but the Ravens, and thats from a Pats fan

Maybe you could add a couple more tags instead of 5, that just seems like a small number.

3. Beazus Christ

Beazus Christ Resident Smut Peddler

As a team with some shitty players - I say hell no! 5 is enough tags. Did you see the FA list this past year? If anything, more talent needs to be injected into the pot.

4. Fooath

Fooath Walk On

Agreed. Tags at least make free agency interesting. Salary cap and people will just cut all their old slow garbage no one would even trade for much less want. Tag really makes you think and consider roster moves. Salary cap is just a little inconvenience.

Also allows rosters to balance out more over time as lower ranked teams or teams that lose more get better players. Instead of just getting to pick over old fat slow garbage no one wants.

Five should be more than enough, as well as pull backs. Much less changing it after only one offseason. Heck, some people traded players they otherwise wouldn't because of tag rules, and now considering changing them?

5. Herc

Herc Walk On

yeah i would have liked to see like you get 2-3 tags a year. But now it may be too late for that as foath said peeps have traded in consideration of the current tag system.

6. Masler

Masler Moderator

i don't see how we would so a salary cap in the first place. tag system seems to be working just fine

7. score23

score23 Walk On

I really like this idea/..................."yeah i would have liked to see like you get 2-3 tags a year".

8. score23

score23 Walk On

but if we do a salary cap system. how far is that for the teams at got screwed last season because they lost a bunch of guys to the Tag System???

9. JB21

JB21 Walk On

tag system is ok but annoying being at jerseys house and seeing the things that had to be done even in the draft it was just crazy and since alot of teams were ownerless it was just more added.

10. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Tough to change it mid stream. Some teams have already taken the hit, it isnt fair for the ones coming up not to see the same type of situation.

Why not stay with the tag system? Maybe draft pick compensation for the teams that lose high level players.

If you were to lose a starter over 85 overall the team that takes him in the FA draft is required to give you a fourth rounder or something like that.

I am pretty sure the Eagles lost players because they didnt have an owner and the best player a DT in the FA draft wouldnt have been there had a tag been used on him.

11. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

Jersey unless everyone is wanting to start over, it's best not to think about the Salary Cap System. Teams have lost talent do to tags and some may even go over the cap already. If you want I can do a spreadsheet to see what it would look like and get everyone's thoughts based on my system but something should be done with the guys already moved because of the age-based free agency and tags. Maybe give them a one year deal and load up free agency for next season.

Here's the deal with the system in SFML:

PRO's
    - Due to the formula mods used to determine salary, people will cut loose of their older skilled players due to a high salary (Just like real life)

- More thought is put into trades because of the salary cap.

- Free Agency will go smoother because of bidding you don't have to wait on a draft

- When the CPU cuts guys in the offseason you have the spreadsheet to see who you had before

- No tags to keep up with

CON's
    - Hard to keep up with if people are not active enough to post there roster moves

- Injury Rating is not factored in enough to effect the overall so the salary could be high on injury prone players

Overall I enjoy it because you have to think a little bit. If anyone is curious about the system you can pm me for more details. If some of you would like to try it out feel free to join up with SFML and get a feel for it. (I know its a plug but I don't think Jersey would mind since he is in the league)

12. Fooath

Fooath Walk On

You have to think more about the tag system. Including years ahead. Like you said players just cut their 80 something rated trash and call it an offseason. No one meaningful ever hits free agency. Teams keep their best players forever with no chance of losing them.

I'd rather keep the current system but maybe modify it slightly.

What about removing the 26 year old tag requirement so it only affects the older players? Or maybe give 1-2 tags each year?

The tag system actually requires turnover of rosters, slightly, with pull back you lose one or two solid players but have access to others. The salary cap doesn't.

13. Papa Perry

Is there a way to see how many years they have been pro?

14. Fooath

Fooath Walk On

yes in player management it has "EXP" which shows how many seasons they've been in the league.

I really hope we stick with tags and maybe just tweak it, nice to see some real interesting free agency for a change.

15. trutest

trutest Walk On

Ok guys, thanks for the input. We'll stick with the TAG system for now.

I'm not sure if i'll tweak it though, I have to think about it.

16. hurdrs123

hurdrs123 Walk On

If where sticking with the Tag system, I'd at least like to see the number of players allowed to be tagged put at 6 so you could theoretically tag 2 people a year.

The first FA draft may not have been stacked, but that was because a lot of teams tagged 3+ players with a couple using all 5. Now they won't be able to keep all their tagged players and tag more than 2 players over the next 2 years. I only tagged 2 last year, only plan to tag 1 to 2 this year (allowing LeRon McClain to become a free agent and maybe even Ray Lewis) and then next year I'll have to deal with Ed Reed, Terrell Suggs and more with only 1 tag available.

Then just to top it off in year 4 when my original 2 tags come up (Nagata, Grubbs), I'll also have Jonathan Stewart and Ray Rice turning 26 and becoming FA

I'd personally like to see 3 tags a year and maybe a cut off of the 36 year old FA year.

17. Papa Perry

how about this

Player Qualifies for Free Agency

1) After 3rd year pro

or

2) Offseason he turns 30, 33, or 36

Basically eliminate the 26 year old age as a FA age