Fake Punt/FG

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Keller, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

This can be a hot debate for leagues and I want to stave off any arguments/flame wars before they happen by having a discussion about these before it happens. If we need to install a new rule, we will.

We ultimately decided against a 2pt conversion rule if I'm not mistaken. Where do you guys stand on these?

For me, I am against them, period. I feel like fake punt run is WAY too effective in surprise situations to ever be allowed (I've picked up 5 yards easily at times) and fakes in general are just too effective to be allowed. Thats just one opinion. I want to hear everyones opinion.

I feel like we have good enough 4th down rules to allow someone to go for it if they want/need to and as such I don't see why you need to "fake" anyone out. If you want to go for it, abide by the rules and do so. If you don't, don't call the overly effective "fake" and pickup the first down anyway.

Thoughts?

2. Keller

Here is the 4th down rule as it currently stands.

03.01 - Going on 4th Down
    We encourage straight play in this league, however, we do not want to limit players to the point where they cannot play aggressively. With that in mind, there will be a simple rule on 4th downs:

* Whenever you are past the 50 yard line with 1 yard or less to go, you are permitted to go for it on 4th down.
    * If you are behind by two touchdowns or more in the second half, you can go for it whenever you like.
    * If you are the losing team in the 4th quarter, you can go for it whenever you like.
    * If you're going to go for a 4th down conversion in a questionable situation during a PvP game, please attempt to notify your opponent first, if possible.

3. capp34

capp34 Say Hello to the Bad Guy!

I had a guy fake a FG on me in a NCAA league a few months ago so now on 4th down I call a defensive play because its no use for the FG play anyway because you never gonna block it anyway. As for as punts I have never had anyone fake one on me from this site so im cool with whatever rules you guys come up with.

4. Subkontraktor

Subkontraktor Plays with Knives.

It's one of those things where you do see it happen in the NFL, but it's very rare. I think if it were allowed, it would be slightly if not more so abused than we need to see.

I'm fine with them being out-lawed.

On a side note, I was thinking as I re-read the 4th down rule. Would it be over-the-top and out of the question to discussing adding 1 more situation where you can go for it?

4th and 3 (or 4) or less between the opponents 30 and 40 yard line? That's a range where many aren't comfortable with their kicker, some can't make it, and many teams in the NFL go for it here if they don't want to risk a FG try.

Any closer from the 30 and you should just kick the FG and any further out than the 40 and you weren't in FG range anyway.

Oh.. and @capp34 I've been trying to block a FG or PAT ever since Madden came out yet never have. I've come close once or twice, but was still 2-3 feet away at the closest.

5. kdpnutter

kdpnutter Walk On

If your gonna go, then go for it, I don't see a reason to use the Fake FG/Punt. We have fourth down rules set for a reason. No reason for the Fake FG/Punt.

As for Sub's question. Offense is a lot more effective this year than defense so I think giving another area to go for it would make things harder for the defense as they already are harder. Also some teams that are outside the 40 can still kick the FG depending on their kicker.

6. capp34

capp34 Say Hello to the Bad Guy!

I know right the Niners kicked a 63 yarder on me.[​IMG]

7. rushers24

rushers24 Walk On

If kicking FG's was actually hard and the game wasn't slanted towards offense, I wouldn't mind putting in that additional 4th down rule. But everyone here can kick a 40 yard FG, even with a terrible kicker.

As far as the fake FG/punt thing... I'm against it because it would be really hard to have a rule on it saying when and where you can and can't do it. Also I think the success rate would be too high.

8. JoHud

JoHud Walk On

When reading the rules I always considered fakes to fall under this:

* If you're going to go for a 4th down conversion in a questionable situation during a PvP game, please attempt to notify your opponent first, if possible.

And if you follow that rule it would eliminate the fakes all together.

As far as 4th down rules, my take is we have enough rules on the subject. Don't take the kicker out of the game.

9. sibellius

sibellius Too legit to quit

It wouldn't hurt to give owners the option to run a fake punt/FG once per season or something, since thats about as many times as the real teams use it.

10. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

I could see 2 times a year, or better yet, only once in the playoffs use it to give a desperate team an edge. and make everyone think. Its something we may as well talk about now since its one of the features in Madden 12.

11. Keller

Unless anyone has anything else to say I'm going to put an official rule in outlawing the use of Fake Punt & Fake FG attempts.