Fake Punts/FGs

Discussion in 'Madden NFL Football' started by Drifterbub, May 17, 2014.

1. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    What is the consensus on these for you guys?

How effective are they? Can they be abused?

2. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
  3. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

• Like Like x 1
  4. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

honestly, in 2 TMFL and 3 NExtFL seaons this cycle I have not tried or ad one tried on me. I dont know.

5. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    Drifterbub

Only had 1 member try it and it didn't work.

From what I've seen in MUT it is not overly effective. I'd say 80/20. 20 being it works. If even that

6. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

I'd agree with Bobby that about 1-2 of 10 attempts are successful depending on the circumstances (down, distance, critical point in the game, home/away, personnel, user tendencies, etc.), which is great! My personal opinion is that it is a vast improvement over previous releases. What I've seen has been reasonable in our league setting, but I'm unable to provide any feedback as far as lobby play goes. Just like anything, the fakes can be abused, which is why we have our own league parameters in place dictating the situations and the frequency for which the fakes are allowed.

Some additional special teams input if you don't mind... One thing that I would like to see more of are blocked punts and FG's; and at a lesser extent, blocked XP's. I would also be interested in a more user determined onside kick based on direction, power, and trajectory. With the current setup we are strictly limited to the power meter and the luck of the AI. I'm quite sure that's more than what you were seeking, but figured I'd bring it up while we're on the topic of special teams.

Thx, Ronnie! :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

8. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

I would agree with Doug's assessment.

I don't know that they can be abused from the aspect of being too easy, as I agree that the success rate isn't very high. But we have limitations in place within our own league rules, to prevent them from being abused based on circumstance. In my experience more players will call a straight up play on 4th down (when warranted) rather than a fake, simply because they aren't very effective. But that's not to say I think they should be made to be more effective, just an observation.

On a side note. I was a fan of the surprise onside kicks. I wouldn't mind seeing something like that reintroduced.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I don't see how rules should be required for fakes- outside of the gold standard don't be a douche. IMO, being a douche with this would be simply doing it wayyy too much.

I ran a 99 yard fake punt once (right hornfaninbama ). Now if we go by "rules" that likely is not kosher at all as I ran it from my one yard line out of my own endzone. Why did I run it? I knew hornfan would go for the block so it was an easy peasy pass over the LOS to a wide open guy. All I had to do was avoid his return man and we were home free.

This was a move purely based on both strategy and the fact that it was an OOC game in NCAA (i.e. if I lost it, not big deal in my eyes).

If you can't run it when you are 99% sure it will work (based on strategic thinking, not because the game is "broke") why not run it?

10. Cole Copeland

Cole Copeland Mr. Irrelevant

11. hornfaninbama

hornfaninbama GT: BulgyTexas

Yes. I was on a long user game losing streak, and I had a chance to finally break it against Kasper til he ran that one and put it in the endzone.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

And also right through your beloved huskers hearts.

13. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

Have you ever seen a real team run a fake punt on it's own 1 yard line?

One of the opening statements in the rules/game play description was always "as a sim community, we try to play the video game the way it's really played on Saturday"

• Like Like x 3
  14. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I have not.