Fallout: New Vegas

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Keller, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Anyone else picking this up today?

I'm pretty pumped. I loved Fallout 3.

2. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    How is it?

3. uncleho

uncleho Walk On

Not today or anytime soon unfortunately. Hopefully next month for my bday or the month after for Christmas. I love Fallout 3 as well and need to finish all the DLC so that can tide me over until I get New Vegas. Saving for my wedding has become my top priority.

4. Keller

Unfortunately I had a few football games to play last night so I didn't get to delve that much into it. I think you'll find that its simply a streamlined version of Fallout 3. The map isn't as large so there is less wandering around, more direction, and planned decision making. I recall that I spent a large majority in Fallout 3 just wandering about in the wasteland just waiting for some mofo to mess with me so I could blow his head off. From what I can tell there will be much less of this and much more quest driven exploration.

I say that because the first town I was in, Goodsprings I think it's called, is just fine and after I did my first couple quests I just picked a direction and took off on the shoelace express hoping to get into some trouble with bandits or something fun. Well apparently the town is damn near surrounded by mountains. That's not to say that there isn't a way around the mountains but I nonetheless couldn't find a quick way to cut through to the other side. So I wandered the hillside until I found a dead "prospector" and killed some lizard fuckers and looted a few items. That was pretty much it for me last night.

I'm still pumped to try logging as many hours as I can between tonight after work and Sunday. I think the game will probably end up being better because things are more polished and story driven as opposed to what seemed to be mindless meandering in Fallout 3 - which still wasn't too bad. I mean, stumbling across 3 giant ass albino scorpions and some hit squad at the same time and watching them dispatch each other at the same time is a pretty unique event, for example. Anyway, the game is legit. If you liked Fallout 3 then theres no reason you won't like this installment.

5. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

GameFly sent my copy out Monday so I should have mine today or tomorrow. I got it on PS3.

6. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Like Keller I had football stuff to do but unlike Keller I didn't even get to even pop the game in my XBox. I hope to be able to play tonight but I won't get to play a significant amount of time till the weekend. Think I may need to quit some NCAA leagues to make time for this game.

7. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

My brother went and got it at midnight when it came out apparently. The two times I was at his place the past couple days, he was zoned out playing it. I liked but didn't love Fallout 3, and New Vegas looks a LOT like Fallout 3

8. Bucs

Bucs GT: ThruTheSmoke47

It is essentially fallout 3 with a few tweaks, not as much of an emphasis on exploration, and it seems really linear for the first few hours, but once you actually make it to The Strip it seems to open up alot, so far having alot of fun.

9. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

I've played the shit out of it and its good. There have been a couple reports that there is an issue with the game freezeing I have only had that happen once. Its built on the same engine as fallout 3 so graphicly its the same. They have reduced the efficitveness of the vaats system making you use your inron sights more for a fps feel. I haven't made it to vegas yet ill add some more info as I progress

10. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

boo.

11. JFunk34

JFunk34 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

I love it. That is all.

12. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

Fallout 3 got boring pretty quickly for me with all the walking you had to do... and when I get bored with those types of games I kill as many people as possible.

If there's a more defined line, I might end up getting this eventually.

Anyone play Fable III yet?

13. Keller

I agree, the walking gets to be a bit much. You literally have to walk all the way to the strip - argh. Especially now that Cazadores (or whatever they are called) keep showing up. I've accumulated a lot of cool stuff and dont really have many problems but seriously F those things.

This year I told myself I'd get either Fallout or Fable and with COD coming out I dont see any reason to veer off that path. Once I've beaten Fallout I may trade it in for Fable.

14. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

eh, I just got myself a copy of the game, haven't loaded it into my PC yet. People at my work were Really excited about it, maybe a little too much. This game is all anyone talks about. I'll probably check it out tonight though. Dragon Age 2 is probably going to be the only game this year to pull me away from NCAA and NHL.

15. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

I am looking forward to DA2 as well. Though I am afraid they are making the PC version to close to the crappy console one, hopefully thats not the case. These PC style RPGs are so much better on PC, the way they were meant to be played.

16. Keller

And what makes them so much better on PC?

17. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Controls, graphics, framerate, terrain detail and sight distance, performance, UI, mods, patches... so ya, just about everything

18. Keller

False, depends on machine, depends on machine, depends on machine, depends on machine, maybe, yes, no

19. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

I can put together a fairly low end machine that can run it better than a console can... Now, if you are stuck with your old Pentium 3 machine, or some best buy gateway computer then no, they wont run a game well or at all.

But if I am talking about PC gaming, then that assumes you are using a gaming rig. Thus, is the much superior platform for these games. Not all games, but these 'PC' RPGs, which is what they are.

Control schemes are better on PC. Many of times buttons on a controller dont translate nearly as well as hotkeys and mouseclicks. The game has to compensate by dumbing down or cluttering up the UI. Patches are better as you get hotfixes so much faster on a PC. On a console you have to wait for Sony or Microsoft to greenlight the patch.

You realize both Fallout and Dragon Age are either direct or spiritual successors to classic PC only games. Dragon Age had to change the camera view and the way you played for console versions because it didnt translate quite well. And the critics were much harsher on the console version than PC. Critics were as well on Fallout New Vegas.

20. Keller

Saying control schemes are better on the PC is a matter of preference, bottom line.

I'm not going to get into an argument, however. Moving on.

21. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

Ehhh I prefer playing games on my 360, unless it's an RTS or something...

Console controls are a lot easier to pick up and get used to... using a keyboard an mouse feels completely horrendous if you're not used to it. With games like Oblivion, it makes a big difference in how you can play when the controls aren't quite as clunky.

I still prefer to play anything but MMO and RTS games on my XBOX for various reasons... but if you have a decent computer (And are able to use a board and mouse), this kind of game is definitely a lot better for the PC...

22. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

Yeah I am with Keller and KillerNuts. I prefer controller to mouse and keyboard, especially for shooters and RPGs like Fallout. I am a terrible PC gamer and get slaughtered whenever I play anything on a PC. The only games I do play are RTS and even that is rare. Right now I don't have a PC to play games on but I may be getting a new computer and Starcraft II in the future.

23. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Let me know when you can build a PC that looks as good as an Xbox game does on my 50" TV for the price of an Xbox.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Not the same cost no... But we werent comparing cost, but gaming experiences... The computer I have currently hooked up to my computer I could probably buy for about 500 now and plays fallout better than the xbox will. It is a bit more expensive, but a PC does much more than a console. I love console gaming too, just certain things consoles do well and certain things PCs do well...

25. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Has anyone played Fable 3? I am thinking of renting it