Famous Iowa Highschool Football Coach Shot Dead

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by jmillhimes, Jun 24, 2009.

1. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Famous Iowa Highschool Football Coach Shot Dead

Heard his name a few times ..Very sad

2. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    That's terrible.

I wish it was in Texas. That little punk would get a expedited ticket to the injection table.

3. The Parrothead

The Parrothead Walk On

I grew up in Iowa (most of my life, anyway). Ed Thomas was definitely a legend in the state. No chance at the perp getting anything more than life in prison, though, as Iowa doesn't have capital punishment. Dude definitely deserves it.

Prayers go out to the family of Ed Thomas, as well as the family of Mark Becker, as they're going to have to deal with this for the rest of their lives, as well.

4. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

<object classid='clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000' codebase='http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0' width='320' height='305' id='embeddedplayer'><param name='movie' value='http://gannett.a.mms.mavenapps.net/mms/rt/1/site/gannett-desmoines-150-pub01-live/current/sectionplayer/singleplaylist/client/embedded/embedded.swf'/><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true'/><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always'/><param name='scale' value='noscale'/><param name='salign' value='LT'/><param name='bgcolor' value='#000000'/><param name='wmode' value='window'/><param name='FlashVars' value='playerId=edthomas&referralObject=1163084961&adServerBasePath=http://gannett.gcion.com/adrawdata/.0/5111.1/473810/0/0/header=yes;cc=2;cookie=info;alias=&adPositionId=Video_prestream&adSiteId=ia-desmoines.desmoinesregister.com/&SSTSCode=life/front.htm&gpaperCode=gpaper122,gntbcstglobal&marketName=Des Moines:desmoinesregister&division=newspaper&pageContentCategory=life&pageContentSubcategory=life'/><embed type='application/x-shockwave-flash' src='http://gannett.a.mms.mavenapps.net/mms/rt/1/site/gannett-desmoines-150-pub01-live/current/sectionplayer/singleplaylist/client/embedded/embedded.swf' id='embeddedplayer' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer' menu='false' quality='high' play='false' name='singleplaylist' height='305' width='320' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always' scale='noscale' salign='LT' bgcolor='#000000' wmode='window' flashvars='playerId=edthomas&referralObject=1163084961&adServerBasePath=http://gannett.gcion.com/adrawdata/.0/5111.1/473810/0/0/header=yes;cc=2;cookie=info;alias=&adPositionId=Video_prestream&adSiteId=ia-desmoines.desmoinesregister.com/&SSTSCode=life/front.htm&gpaperCode=gpaper122,gntbcstglobal&marketName=Des Moines:desmoinesregister&division=newspaper&pageContentCategory=life&pageContentSubcategory=life'/></object>

^^^that's the embed code for a video if anyone knows how to put it up, it's not youtube..

it is also here, on the side

This is really a tragic event..

Thinking about it, Ed Thomas reminds me of a coach that we've had at our school..

he is around the same age, and has been around so long that he is just one of those guys you could never picture...dying.

I remind 2 years ago, he was substitute teaching one day, and collapsed in the hallway because of a mild heart attack...he is okay now, but I remember all of the thoughts I felt in those couple days after and I could only imagine what the players and rest of the community are going through..

5. Jman

Jman It's a Flying Circus!

As a coach, this crap scares me. When you see this kind of stuff on the news you can't help but think about the times you've just crawled up in a kid...although, thats the reason I always catch them after practice to feel them out.

When it can happen to a bonafide legend, that gets to you.

6. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

Some kids are going to learn from what you teach them..and some wont

some people are crazy...and shoot people. i guess that's life?

idk, i wouldn't think about it too much. coming from someone who hopes to be a coach someday

7. Jman

Oh believe me, I don't dwell. You just can't help but think of it when you see things like this though.

I will say this, be prepared, as a coach, to realize just how little 95% of parents care nowadays. Its quite sad really, most don't care if their kids quit, some even tell them to do it if "its too hard". However, when you get the ones that will run through a wall for you, that makes it all worthwhile.

Its amazing just how much the mentality of youth in our country has chaged just since I was in school, and I'm only 25.

8. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Just chew on them so much that they will think you will haunt them even if they were to knock you off.

Isn't the death penalty enough to keep people from shooting someone? Maybe we need to change the punishment to watching a months worth of that beaver-toothed lady on So You Think You Can Dance. God, everytime my gf watches that show, I want to punch my own television when I hear her voice.

9. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

I know exactly what you mean..

Im not going to go into detail...but this past season I basically took on an unpaid coaching role

edit: along with that, is the unneeded drama and selfishness...complete bullshit...who cares who gets the credit as long as WE win

10. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

lol wtf..

ive never even heard of that..and glad

11. Jman

Amen, you have to sell the WE at all costs because there are MANY outsiders in the hallways always trying to undercut your kids and get them out. Sad, but true.

As far as the unpaid role (aka Grad Assistant), enjoy it. Some of my favorite memories came from that time, learned a TON in my 4 years of it, and was worked like absolute grunt labor...but I loved it.

12. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

by that I meant...I was a senior this past season..and I was basically a coach figure when it came to the offseason and keeping everyones head on straight, etc.

Are you at a big school or small?

doesnt seem much different from Illinois

13. Jman

Ah, I see. I'm actually at an in-betweener, Oklahoma goes A-6A (I don't count 8 man football in B and C lol), we're currently 4A.