Fantasy Draft

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by controllerabuser, Mar 13, 2010.

?

Do you want a fantasy draft league?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Fantasy Draft

It has been brought up between the Commissioners about whether or not we should run a Fantasy Draft league instead of the real rosters. We are posting a poll, please vote and give your opinion. We will then look over the results and reply back with what we think will best benefit the entire league.

Thanks

2. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

A few things CA forgot to mention...

The only reason this is in question is because in this year's release you still cannot play multiple seasons. Much of us are familar with Online Dynasty or Online Franchise where there are CPU opponents, progression, regression, Free Agents, Rookie Draft, ect. In this league we cannot do any of these because the show limits us to a single season. Now we understand that some teams will be disadvantaged and may struggle, thats just the way the teams are. A draft could potentially even things up and add a twist. If we decide not to do a fantasy draft we will be looking at playing one season and then starting over again for a second season with same rosters. My personal opinion is I like actual rosters but I think fantasy draft would add more depth to the league. Not being able to do multiple seasons really cripples us.

Please take the time to comment as we are want to make this an enjoyable league for everyone and will take everyone's opinion into consideration.

Thanks,

Frisk

3. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

I would be totally against a fantasy draft if we had the ability to have multiple seasons. The ability to build up one of the lessor teams (like the Reds, Indians, etc..) via free agency, trades, minor leagues, and the draft would be fantastic. However, since we can't, I think having a fantasy draft is a good idea for the following reasons:

1. It would definitely even out the teams a little more.
    2. It would give some users that didn't get their favorite teams the opportunity to get some of their favorite players
    3. It would be more about skill than about the team you have.
    4. Draft night

Just my two cents!

4. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

[​IMG] Idea
    HELL NO.........

5. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

I have to agree with Noles and Sir Charles...

6. dbackfan98

dbackfan98 Walk On

i voted no, just want to see how season 1 pans out. in season 2 we can draft or adjust. i cant believe they put this game out without being able to play more then 1 season.

7. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

i voted no and hope there is a patch for this also

8. NDCOLTS1979

but if they is the case why not go a longer season

9. Emmdotfrisk

The plan is to go longer season. 3 game series in conference and 1 game series out of conference. Our fear is that once we get through the majority of the season guys will have no motivation to continue playin even if they cannot make the playoffs and there is no way to work towards progressing with roster moves for another season.

10. dbackfan98

dbackfan98 Walk On

i imagine this could be done, seeing how other games add new maps/game modes whether its thru a patch or free dlc

11. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Im split...I can see what you guys are saying with how the fantasy draft adds depth and even things out, but I HATE things being unrealistic. Im voting no, but going to throw out an idea. Maybe 3-5 "Franchise Tags" that are given out before the draft, making these players ineligible to be drafted by other teams. Like say we do 3....as the Yankees I may say Jeter, A-Rod, and Pettite. Maybe Posada. Then those 3 will be kept on the Yankees roster and everyone else is "draftable". This keeps the depth around the league, but doesn't completly take away from the realism.

12. NDCOLTS1979

Now this is something i can agree with. There is just a few people i dont want to see in another jersey besides the cubs blue lol

13. Emmdotfrisk

Here is another idea guys.....There might be a way we can manufacture our own custom rosters for the season and by doing so have multiple seasons. Here it is let me hear what u guys think....

We can start season 1 with original teams and have Free agents and trades ect. When the season end we can designate that every team must cut 4 players. 1 "A" player, 1 "B" player, 1 "C" player, 1 "D" (or maybe more i dont know yet) we will then start the next season with a fantasy draft where guys must choose their team from the previous season except for the "mandatory releases." We can figure out a way on the site, via bid or some other way to then assign ownership of the mandatory released players. Let me hear some feedback.

The only problem of this is it will be time consuming and not that enjoyable to conduct a draft which is predetermined.

14. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Im trying to make sense of this and I understand where you are going. It's a bit early for me and this time change is fucking with me...I think the biggest challenge I can get out of this is the process and possible confusion, as well as getting every single member to participate with so many members in this league. I don't know if I am completely taking it wrong or not, but if you drop an A...then in the draft you pick up an A. So next season, you drop the same A, pick up another A. Where I am going is that this could basically be a 1-for-1 type thing where the teams won't "go anywhere" in a sense of what kind of firepower and skill level there is on a team. Say I drop an A pitcher in CC, then in the draft I pick up an A in Lincecum (TRude will never let him go, but eh). I don't lose any skill there. It may just be too early to truly understand what you are saying, even tho I can kinda make it out. I am just still terribly split on the loss of realism a fantasy draft would have..

15. Emmdotfrisk

Cimmy let me dumb it down for you. Its like mandatory cuts that we do in OMFL

16. DJDunn6

DJDunn6 Walk On

I also can see both sides of this. I voted no though because I chose Seattle because The Phils were taken, they have a big ballpark with good pitching and on base percentage offensive players who are fast. If we get in to a fantasy draft I fear power hitting will have to be taken(and I have a problem with wanted the long ball) and that does not fit my stadium really at all. If we did a fantasy style I would have chosen a different team...

17. Dean

Dean Walk On

Great idea Cimmy. I'm all for this, but in the mean time I voted no.

18. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

I would be in for Cimmy's idea also....

19. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

I vote no. Can you use custom rosters for the leagues? If so I have an idea. I'll post it once answered

20. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

i dont really care to do a fantasy draft at all. i think all the additives sound good on the surface, but are very time consuming. with college football plus madden leagues i just wanna play baseball. thats my take.

21. Emmdotfrisk

No custom rosters. Only the "live roster"

22. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

I know what you meant...What I was saying was I have a hard time thinking it would work as well as if it would be worth the time to see. I can see where it would add to making it more of a progression league instead of a one league is done, let's start over. Because what happens when we get to season 3...it is just going to take more time then the season before because not only do you have to make the cuts for season 3, but you need to make the changes that you needed to do for seasons 1 and 2. Honestly, anything we do in season 1 is going to need to be redone in season 2, so it is going to be somewhat time consuming, unless we went with a season with no trades and no free agency and just played with the same rosters every season, which nobody I am sure wants to do.

What truly made your idea confusing to me was this...let me dumb it down for you...

Yankees make these cuts after season 1: (Skill points being hypothetical as to how "good" a player is)
    Player A worth "skill" 10 pts
    Player B worth 8 pts
    Player C worth 5 pts
    Player D worth 5 pts
    Total=28 "skill" pts

Pirates make these cuts after season 1:
    Player A worth 8 pts
    Player B worth 5 pts
    Player C worth 3 pts
    Player D worth 3 pts
    Total=19 pts

Yankees add these players to fill the holes:
    Player A-10
    Player B-8
    Player C-8
    Player D-5
    tot=31

Pirates Add:
    A-8
    B-5
    C-5
    D-3
    tot=21

Difference...Yankees go up 3 total, Pirates gain 2

What I am trying to prove and don't know if it proves it even to myself what I did....but I don't think this will solve keeping it a "level" playing field. I don't think that can be accomplished by doing anything BUT a fantasy draft or a draft minus "franchised" players.

All things aside..this just sums up they need to patch it with a rolling league. Everyone could throw out an idea and someone will find a way that says it won't work. I think you do the "franchise" players before the draft...3-5...if you do 5 make 1 SP mandatory and 1 RP mandatory type thing....then draft...and have mandatory cuts every year...and have a small draft/free agency thing in a "preseason". Whatever you do that involves a fantasy draft or cut players or anything that has players swapping teams around...you are going to need a system or someone to keep track of EVERY transaction.

23. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

i dont want this to sound offensive to anyone, but if the vote is 14-3 against this process why are these ideas coming out?

24. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Because there are guys, like me who are strictly against the Fantasy Draft itself, but not against the idea of where the commisioners are trying to take the league, given what the game gives them, which is not a rolling league. So these ideas are just being put out there to openly discuss ideas that could work as best as possible to having a rolling league.

25. EaglesIrish5

EaglesIrish5 Walk On

I say whatever will keep the guy who is in last place with no shot at the playoffs interested is the best way to go.