[FAQ] Twitch Streaming

Discussion in 'TSL: Tradition Soccer League' started by Friz, Jul 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Friz

Friz Walk On

Featured Threads:
    For all TFS users, Twitch will play a big part in our league moving forward with FIFA 15 and beyond on PS4. It will be used for streaming games live as well as the best way to retrieve game footage and create highlights. Any Twitch-related questions can be brought up here, and this first post will be updated frequently with answers to any questions.

How do I access Twitch?
    Go to http://www.twitch.tv/ and create an account if you do not already have one. It is free to do so.

How do I stream my gameplay on PS4?
    Using the Share button on your controller, go to the Stream option. Log in to Twitch from here to begin streaming. Press the share button again to stop streaming.

Will my streams be saved automatically?
    Not by default. This one is very important. By default the Twitch settings will only stream your gameplay. Unless you update your settings once you are done streaming everything you did will go away. In order to have your streams saved and create highlights, you MUST go to your settings on the Twitch website. Under your username --> Settings --> Channels and Video --> Check the box to "Automatically archive my broadcasts." This will allow you to view your saved video after you stop streaming.

upload_2014-9-20_17-22-13.png upload_2014-9-20_17-23-7.png

upload_2014-9-20_17-24-3.png

Where can I find my videos once they are archived?
    When logged into the Twitch website, on the left toolbar go to your profile. Then from the tabs available, go to past broadcasts. Any archived videos will be in here.

upload_2014-9-20_17-25-40.png

Now that I have my stream archived, can I access it any time after that?
    Once again, not by default. If the only thing you have done is check the box to "Automatically archive my broadcasts" this will save your video for a few days. Exact time seems to vary. So you have some time to work with it, but it will not stay forever. Twitch has removed the option to save past broadcasts forever, so in order to save your broadcast you will have to save it as a highlight.

How do I create a highlight?
    Go back to your past broadcasts, and in the options icon below the video (looks like a gear) you will find the option to "Highlight." Now you merely need to choose the start and end times of your highlight and click Publish. Highlights have a maximum time of 2 hours. It is possible to save your entire broadcast as a highlight.

upload_2014-9-20_17-27-14.png

How can I put my highlights on YouTube?
    Once your highlight has been created, go to the options (gear icon again) menu below the highlight video you want to Upload, and you will see the Export option in there. If you have not previously linked your YouTube account to Twitch, you should be able to do so the first time you try to do this. If you have previously done it, you will only need to name your video, give it a description, and click upload. You will receive an email when the upload is complete and your video is available on YouTube.
    **Note, if you want to put your entire broadcast on YouTube, you can do this step without creating a highlight from the past broadcasts area by going to Export instead of highlight. Beware YouTube may remove your video if it is over 15 minutes long.

upload_2014-9-20_17-29-6.png

What is the recommended quality to use when beginning a stream?
    Personally I have always used best quality and never had any disruptions in my gameplay, but this may come down to personal trial and error to determine what speed works best for you. To date, I have not noticed any difference when playing while streaming vs. not streaming.

How do I get my stream added to the TSO Streams page?
    This is currently only an option for premier members. If you have premier status and would like your Twitch streams featured in the Streams tab on this site, you can request to be added in this thread: http://traditionsportsonline.com/th...now-integrated-with-twitch-tv-streams.110968/

Can I link my Twitch account to Twitter?
    Yes, and in doing so it will alert others via Twitter when you start streaming. To connect your Twitch and Twitter accounts, just go t Settings, then to Connections, and check the box for Twitter. You will need to log in to Twitter if you are not already logged in, and authorize to complete the connection.

upload_2014-9-30_17-30-26.png

How do I know when other league members start streaming their games?

For a quick and easy way to see if other members are streaming games live, be sure to follow everyone's Twitch channel. You can find a list of all Twitch channel's in the Member List thread, and there is a button on their channel to follow them. Once you have a list of channels you are following, you can go to the "Following" tab on the left side and it will tell you if any channels are currently live. Also, go back to your settings and jump to the "Notifications" tab if you don't want to receive additional email notifications about channels you follow.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
    • Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Friz

Friz Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Note to all Twitch users, the "Save Forever" option has been removed from past broadcasts. Moving forward, in order to save your broadcasts forever on Twitch you will need to save it as a highlight (maximum time 2 hours). Alternatively you can upload directly to YouTube and have it saved there. FAQ has been updated to reflect this new information.

Note, you still have to pre-set your settings to Automatically archive your broadcasts before any of this will take effect. If this setting is not set you will never see your broadcasts in your past broadcasts and will be unable to make highlights.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Friz

Friz Walk On

Featured Threads:
    UPDATED: Learn how to link your Twitch and Twitter accounts

4. vipermansa

vipermansa Walk On

Can we put the highlights on TSO stream page w/o putting it on youtube?

5. Friz

Friz Walk On

Featured Threads:
    It does appear you can embed highlights directly from twitch without going through YouTube, but these videos do not appear to work on tablets. If you grab the link from the highlight on Twitch, you can embed in your post here via the insert Media icon in your replay.

YouTube is still the better option for publishing to the site though. YouTube would still be required if you want to make compilation videos of multiple highlights, allows viewing on tablets, and embedding from Twitch will occasionally make you watch advertisements.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  6. vipermansa

vipermansa Walk On

Says plug in not supported

7. Friz

Friz Walk On

Featured Threads:
    my video does? any chance that is something on your computer? played fine once i posted it for me

8. vipermansa

vipermansa Walk On

Ipad

9. Friz

Friz Walk On

Featured Threads:
    hmm, i know very little about the ipad. Is there a twitch app that is needed before it plays? might be best to post to youtube if this is the case

10. CxMacx10

CxMacx10 Walk On

Doesn't work on android tablet either. Same plug in error. I have twitch app installed as well. No clue

11. vipermansa

vipermansa Walk On

Looks like the app is just for viewing other people's videos

12. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

vipermansa as long as you can set up an account, you don't need a computer to stream. You just log in w/ your twitch account from your PS4, and it's easy to begin streaming.

13. Friz

Friz Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Updated! Follow other league members channels for a quick and easy way to see if any of your league-mates are playing live

How do I know when other league members start streaming their games?
    For a quick and easy way to see if other members are streaming games live, be sure to follow everyone's Twitch channel. You can find a list of all Twitch channel's in the Member List thread, and there is a button on their channel to follow them. Once you have a list of channels you are following, you can go to the "Following" tab on the left side and it will tell you if any channels are currently live. Also, go back to your settings and jump to the "Notifications" tab if you don't want to receive additional email notifications about channels you follow.

14. vipermansa

vipermansa Walk On

Ok, I am on twitch and I believe I set it up on ps4 to use twitch as well.
    So lets say I am recording some of my game....game ends...
    Do I then go to the video section on PS4? what do I do then to get it to appear on twitch???

15. Friz

Friz Walk On

Featured Threads:
    if your twitch settings are set up to automatically archive, you don't need to do anything to have it appear in Twitch. once the game ends, press share again and you can go to "Stop Recording". From there, it will be under your account in "past broadcasts" for a few days. In order to save it long term though, you will need to go into that past broadcasts section, select that particular broadcast, and save it as a highlight. Once it is a highlight, you'll have it forever, and you could choose to upload it to YouTube from there as well if you wanted.

16. vipermansa

vipermansa Walk On

Forgive me, never really done this....
    So before the game starts you hit share....play the game...hit share again... then it should be on twitch right???
    then I can view it on twitch and use scenes to submit for goal of the week???

17. Friz

Friz Walk On

Featured Threads:
    pretty much yes. the first time you hit share you'll have three options, share video (only grabs last 15 minutes of gameplay, and forces you to upload through facebook), share image (takes a screenshot that you can once again upload through facebook), or broadcast gameplay. broadcast gameplay allows you to choose twitch, and the first time you'll need to just log in to link your account, but after that it will remember. so once you do that to start the stream everything you do will be recorded on twitch until you hit share again. at that point there will be an option to stop broadcasting

18. vipermansa

vipermansa Walk On

ok, another question

I play a game, press share before the highlights start, they end so I press share again.
    It should then be on twitch...
    How do I get those highlights on the site for a game report?

Again thanks for explaining

19. Friz

Friz Walk On

Featured Threads:
    These steps will help with creating the highlight to put on YouTube. Once on youtube you can embed in the site

Where can I find my videos once they are archived?

When logged into the Twitch website, on the left toolbar go to your profile. Then from the tabs available, go to past broadcasts. Any archived videos will be in here.

[​IMG]

Now that I have my stream archived, can I access it any time after that?
    Once again, not by default. If the only thing you have done is check the box to "Automatically archive my broadcasts" this will save your video for a few days. Exact time seems to vary. So you have some time to work with it, but it will not stay forever. Twitch has removed the option to save past broadcasts forever, so in order to save your broadcast you will have to save it as a highlight.

How do I create a highlight?
    Go back to your past broadcasts, and in the options icon below the video (looks like a gear) you will find the option to "Highlight." Now you merely need to choose the start and end times of your highlight and click Publish. Highlights have a maximum time of 2 hours. It is possible to save your entire broadcast as a highlight.

[​IMG]

How can I put my highlights on YouTube?
    Once your highlight has been created, go to the options (gear icon again) menu below the highlight video you want to Upload, and you will see the Export option in there. If you have not previously linked your YouTube account to Twitch, you should be able to do so the first time you try to do this. If you have previously done it, you will only need to name your video, give it a description, and click upload. You will receive an email when the upload is complete and your video is available on YouTube.
    **Note, if you want to put your entire broadcast on YouTube, you can do this step without creating a highlight from the past broadcasts area by going to Export instead of highlight.

[​IMG]

20. vipermansa

vipermansa Walk On

So you need a youtube account then??

Thought someone said you didn't

21. Friz

Friz Walk On

Featured Threads:
    its not necessarily required. what we were testing earlier in this thread was the ability to post highlights from twitch directly into the site, and it works. but those were the clips you said you were unable to see via tablet. i think youtube is the workaround to make sure they're visible on tablet, but it is possible to skip the youtube step and publish directly to the site from twitch highlights.

22. vipermansa

vipermansa Walk On

k ill try both I guess, thanks for the help

23. Broncos218

Broncos218 Walk On

so I'd like to have archives for pretty much all my games... does that mean even if I'm the away team, we can/should both stream the match? Or can I make a highlight of my opponent's archived stream? Looks like Kevin Gomez was wondering the same after his coppa game.

24. CxMacx10

CxMacx10 Walk On

^ RedAL925 This is what i meant earlier in the groupme about the ps4 needing to be able to do more than just 15 minutes. If the away player had the ability to just have his ps4 record the whole game as a video highlight, that would give them the ability to edit highlights from the built in ps4 video editing app (and straight to youtube after the next psn update.) All of this without worrying about bandwidth issues of broadcasting.

25. Friz

Friz Walk On

Featured Threads:
    has anyone tried a game where both sides streamed? I stream pretty much all the time, but not sure if my opponents have been, i know we did not in the league and cup games i played, but would be interested to know how the game plays if both are.

straight to youtube would be great, more than 15 minutes would be better...but you could always just save each half? share button once at halftime, get the first half video, then again at the end of the game to get the second half video? its not ideal, but perhaps an option. youtube won't let you upload videos longer than 15 minutes anyway unless you pay them

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.