FATHERS! Help an expectant dad! lol

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Hellisan, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

So my wife's bout ta pop yo.

She will soon be bearing the fruit of my loins! (everybody just exited the thread... lol)

Ok so here's the serious question.

We haven't taken a birthing class yet. We are both first time parents. Our class is scheduled for the 5th (due date Nov. 15th) but something's tellin me it's gonna be sooner than that.

So what exactly is the role of the father... Or what is the role you played, and how would you do it again, in that room while your wife is giving birth? From what I gather it might be 12 to 24 hours after we get there that she's actually delivering the baby. So I know to bring plenty of magazines, etc.

We will have my wife's mom there who has had 5 children. I was thinking of leaning on her some, or should it be me telling her to breathe etc.? My wife wants me to take pictures. Is that even possible to be toting around a camera while helping her? Just give me some tips man... Things that you did that were good, things that weren't... If you don't feel like posting it here, go ahead and navigate through ShaunLMason's maze to find the PM link, and PM me. :D

2. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

never took any classes and I really did'nt need too. The doctors and nurses do all the work. You just stand at the foot or head of the bed and help assist in any way they ask. Pretty simple....but exciting too. Congrats....we wont be seeing you around here soon unless your one helluva multi-tasker.

BTW...I have two boys (one is trying to drink my coors light in my avatar) My oldest son is 2 and the other is about to be 1.

3. Iron Mickey

oh and the no sex for 6 weeks!!! :eek:

4. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

first i would like to say welcome to the club.. G-Unit is right there is no need for classes! it's a waist of time. The doctors and nurses do all the damn work you sit back with your camera and snap away. with your mother-in-law being there she will probably want to be at the head of the bed. And yes it can be a long process that's usually when i catch up on sleep cause your going to need it. Sleepless nights is your new world, then you get use to it.

5. runthepound

runthepound Get on the Bus!

You already did your part when you popped that coochie....j/k

From my experience, the best thing you can do is stay out of the way and support your wife in anyway you can. Also, laugh at her when she is trying to push the baby out and farts on accident. Trust me on that one. My wife was in labor for a while before they determined to go with a C-section because of several complications. IF you end up going that route, watch the whole thing. It is pretty cool seeing them cut her stomach open.

When you get home, like I said, do anything you can to help your wife and make sure you tell her that she is doing a great job and being a great mother your your new child. I cam e home from work one day, about a week or so after the baby arrived, and my grandma was there helping out. She said my wife was resting in the back so I went to check on her and she was crying like crazy. She was seriously feeling the pressures of being a new mom and on top of that the baby was crying a ton. I just had to reassure her that she was doing a great job and that we just had to learn how to soothe our child. Everything worked out in the end, except the fact that out little girl is 2 and is still a cry baby.

Good luck man. Being a parent and holding your child for the first time is amazing. Enjoy every second of it!

6. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

if she's getting an epidural (sp?) then you just need to hold her hand and tell her she looks pretty.... if your doing natural childbirth, hide under the table.

Good luck..

btw... no classes needed for this.. waste of time. The class that would be helpful is one that explains the changes your wife is going to go through and the best way to help her through the first few months.

7. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Ehh I dunno, we took childbirth classes when our first was born and it was pretty informative. Included tour of hospital, a complete rundown of what the doctors and nurses will be doing, all the drugs administered, breathing excercises and emergency type issues. I got a lot out of it to be honest, it definately helps ease the stress levels for both of you.

8. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

Well from experience, shut up, do what she says, and get her ice when she needs it.

9. Iron Mickey

LMAO

10. Iron Mickey

well said sir.....well said

[​IMG]

11. Paytonno1son

Paytonno1son Walk On

I wish I could help as I have 4, but I still don't know what to do!!!

Good Luck...hand holding, back rubbing and stay out of mother-in-laws way and you should be good.

12. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Hey thanks to everybody for the responses. Our daughter was born on Saturday evening, 8:01 PM EST, weighing 7 lbs. 13 oz.

Truly amazing process and wasn't at all ready for what I was about to experience.

13. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Congratulations Helli.

Say goodbye to super-gaming for a while. After my daughter was born...if I said Xbox my wife looked at me like she was going to throw a toaster in the shower with me.

--

In all seriousness...it is the most incredible thing in the world. My wife laughs to this day that her "big badass" husband cooed and baby talked to his daughter as soon as she arrived. I've done a lot I am proud of in my life, and having her and being a good dad is at the top of the list.

14. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Hell yeah man. Best wishes to both ladies.

15. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Thanks man.

It's been an emotional time for me. Which on some levels makes me uncomfortable, as i'm pretty stoic by nature (when not losing to Rusty). But anybody who really knows me knows that I'm a really, really selfish person. No exaggeration there whatsoever. An "always looking out for #1 type."

So having two days where I have not given a single thought to myself is a real change for me... and frankly something I needed 8 years ago, as it's been 8 years of trying for my wife and I. But better late than never. Babies are a blessing and that counts for me as much as anybody.

She's actually in the NICU for at least 7 days with neo-natal pneumonia etc.... But she's on track and doing really well.

16. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Congrats Helli! You selfish prick, you! :D :D

17. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Thanks buddy

18. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Let's see some pictures.:)

19. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

Congrats man its a great experience i have 3 i am mom and dad of

20. Big-Bear-W

Big-Bear-W Walk On

Both my daughters were in the NICU for abit and now are happy and healthy... Once you get home, do this; change the fuck out of as many diapers as you can. They get worse as they go along and first impressions are everything, you can tone it down later.

21. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

Congrats helli!

Also big bear I love the sig! Parts of that speech are my ringtone

22. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Yeah, but let's keep'em PG. Top side of the curtain only, please. :eek:

My two were both by C-section, so didn't have to do much at all. The second time, though, the doctor made me peek over the curtain ... and he almost had to catch me.

On a more serious note: Kids are an expression of our own humanity. What kind of people you are able to create and mold will tell the world more about you than anything else. There are no words to describe the responsibility, just as there are none to describe what it feels like to look at your new baby. Since this is your first, I'll tell you this: That feeling does not go away. When they walk, when they talk, when they open their first birthday presents - it will all feel exactly like it does right now. Not a bad way to spend a life, if you ask me. Congratulations. Your entire life is now completely different than it was a few days ago, and that's a good thing, maybe the best of things.

23. Big-Bear-W

Big-Bear-W Walk On

Well said Archie... couldn't agree more.

24. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Thanks man. You really have a way with words and I appreciate you taking the time to express your thoughts on the subject.

25. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

It's kinda what I do for a living. It's funny: whenever people tell you about what it's like to be a dad, they always punch out a bunch of cliches. I do this stuff for a living, and I still can only describe it using the cliches. It's just one of those things that defies expression. Hope you're getting some sleep.