Favorite team situation

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by AndyVanSlyke, Jul 9, 2011.

1. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Let's say you had the power to guarantee a world championship, national championship...etc, for one of your favorite teams. But after they get the championship, they will never again be relevant in your lifetime. Would you use that power? Also which one of your teams would it be?

For me, I'd do it in a heartbeat with the Pittsburgh Pirates. UVa basketball would be a close second.

2. TJM

TJM Walk On

I'd rather my favorite team to be relevant for my lifetime instead of a 1 and done and become the laughing stock.

Since I am a slight fan of Boston College and Navy, I wouldnt mind them winning 1 somehow (especially Navy), and then continue being who they are right now which is pretty much irrelevant.

3. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

hell of a question...I would take that for my alma mater Western Illinois

4. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

This is an awesome question, lol.

I would def prefer to be relevant instead of winning one in VT football. My gut is that the thrill of the hunt and the process are always more fulfilling than the obtainment (whether you hated them or not, pre-red sox champ was much more compelling than post-Red Sox champ. ive heard many of red sox fan say this very thing).

Of course, I do have to admit that this would probably change if my favorite team was really bad for a really long time (which is to quickly comment on how impressive it truly is that you are such a diehard Pirate... if they won it this year, HOLY CRAP! Can't imagine much more awesome than that).

It is quite an interesting question. Cuz right when I say all this I start thinking of VT basketball. And yea, VT basketball I'd prob take the champ but VT football I'd rather revel in false hope each year than suck every year but one. But if you KNEW you could never again win it... why ever watch or care again? Hope is the whole point. And I'd NEVER give up passion for college football... but I might for college bball, or baseball.

5. TJM

TJM Walk On

I would love if the Buccos won it all, however I would rather have years like this year (so far) for years to come instead of winning it this year and then watching the mid-late 90s 00s Buccos who were not even competitive. The greatest ball park in the world attracting fans (a a measly amount) can only last so long. However the Buccos are a profitable baseball team so ownership does not mind, though I hear they might actually make a move that will improve the team this year which is exciting to hear.

It is so awesome to be able to check the schedules and standings to see when the Buccos could take over 1st (like last night if the Reds did not shit the bed, though they wouldve been tied for 1st I believe). Tonights game against the Brewers will be rocking! Battling for 1st place in the division at the All Star break. If you told me the Buccos would be 1st in their division at the All Star break, wow.

6. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

my whole question spawned from the recent play of the pirates. I have gotten used to 19 straight years of baseball and now we aren't quite sucking. A World Series in my lifetime from the Pirates (I was 1 in 79 when they won their last one) would be awesome. This is especially true in this day and age.

Hokie brings up a great point in that if you are used to your team completely sucking, it may skew how you answer your question. Which is exactly where I am with the Buccos.

Following last night's Pirates game, I haven't had goosebumps following an early July baseball game like that. I will make room on the bandwagon for some of you guys.

7. vatechhokie01

dude, how do you not root for the Pirates at this point? You have no soul if you don't enjoy this run of theirs. But I again confess you are the man for your diehardedness during a lifetime of suckiness. I mean, how do you watch 30yrs of suckiness? Freakin impressive. I'm a Mets fan and confessedly ready to write off baseball. What a painful painful franchise. I am so burned by their shitshow right now. It get so old! Also why I have no NFL team... grew up loving Barry and when the Lions franchise treated him like a piece of dirt... I was done with them. I won't give up on the Mets but I do NOT enjoy baseball right now. I think I've watched like 1 game this year. One game! I am old, boring, fair-weathered, and bitter. So yes... diehard Pirates fans are freaking impressive! And if they make a legit run, I will be watching and rooting your boys on for you! Maybe some redemption from that shitty sport right now. sigh.

8. vatechhokie01

summary: VT football is the only sport that I would and will watch no matter what until the day i die and am resurrected into eternity on earth: which will clearly be most marked by a holy worldwide sponsorship of college football and the Hokies specifically.

9. TJM

TJM Walk On

Damn, thought they said during the Pirates game last night we were playing the Brewers tonight for some reason. We'll just have to take down the Cubbos again.

Anyways, I love your name AVS, as AVS was one of my childhood heros growing up in Western PA and during my formative young years (also loved his name). I actually think I wrote a letter to Van Slyke 1 time as I used to write to all guys of baseball players growing up (telling them they are my hero like my father) to see if they would autograph a card for me, and we used to send them to the Bucco clubhouse. However I never really heard back from anyone, though Chipper Jones got back to me with a letter (probably a template letter) with my card autographed, it was awesome. I was also a fan of Jay Bell and loved going to Three Rivers (what a drag though looking back but I was a kid and it was the greatest thing in the world). Waiting outside after games with my brother and father waiting to get autographs.

I wont say I am a diehard Bucco fan, but always loved going and watching to the games on TV with my father. Lanny Fratarres voice was so smoothing to me, even when goign through rough times in my life, turning on a Buccos game to calm down and just listen Fratarre made me feel like a kid again. I have been watching pretty much everygame that I am at home and they are on for awhile as like I said its just comforting, even when they were getting slobbered you always had hope (which is a big part of sports). I just sort of grew up with the fact that the Pirates just have never really been good during my years that I coudl really remember (except slightly in my early days).

Same with the Pens and Mike Langes voice. I remember one time when I was a kid and waiting for autographs with my father, tons of people were waiting right outside the gate of the then Civic Arena with all these fans waiting for autographs, and this 1 player (who I do not remember as he was not a big name, probably someone like a Craig Adams, a grinder) skipped everyone in the crowd and came right up to me and signed my program guide and then gave me a wink. It left an impression on me forever but for some reason never really remembered who it was.

Maybe all this should go into a Pittsburgh thread, but it just shows that sports are 1 of the greatest things in life, and that these athletes forget that they mean so much to the kids. It breaks my heart when kids are waiting to get their star autograph and then that star player just spurns everyone (similar to what Jagr used to always do). I heard Crosby is pretty good with being level headed and cool with fans though which is good.

That story about that guy falling over and dying at the Texas rangers game really hit me, as I remember going to Buccos games as a kid with my father and my glove, hoping to catch a ball. Baseball is meant for father and son. It was sad that the father took his son to a store to get his first glove for him right before that game too, and to see your father trying to make your dream come true of getting you a MLB ball that your favorite player touched to fall over and then hit a lucid interval (wiki it), and thinking he'll still at least have his father, only for him to die. Truly one of the saddest sports stories that really got to me.

Sorry for the long rant, but I told someone in this league that I tend to be long winded. I write e-mails that could be so simple but turn them into books.

You from Western PA, AVS?

10. vatechhokie01

Lol...you are alright in my book tanner. Glad to have u!

11. krbonn76

krbonn76 Walk On

Tough to answer but after 34 years of watching the Cubs break my heart year after year i think i would take the championship just to say i saw it. As for the rest of my life it would be like the first 34 so that would not be much different.

12. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

for the record, autographed on my wall is a Sid Bream "the slide" with Sid and Francisco Cabrera's autograph. Loved the braves since 1988 (no bandwagon here, they were horrible when a SS with stone hands named Andres Thomas stole me away from the cubs forever.

As a Braves fan, having so many years where we were close but to not win it, It got kind of frustrating to not win it all but now that i look back...all those postseasons were amazing and getting back last year turned me into the 12 year old kid again.

I follow the Braves like you guys do VT or UVA or PSU and I would take the hope over the 'ship every year

13. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Mullen - If you ever utter the words on that man from your previous post I will come and punch you in the throat. That was the only time I have ever cried after a sporting event. When that slow, goofy son of a bitch beat the tag.

TJM - My mom is from Ambridge. Spent alot of my time in the summer's up there. My Papa was a big Pirates fan.

14. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

Where were you when Sid Slid? :)

15. Sceptic21

Sceptic21 Walk On

I think the simple fact that you KNOW that your favorite team would be irrelevant for the rest of your life answers that question. I've been a Packers fan since I was probably 8. I'm now 22 and they just won their first title since I've been watching football, and I can honestly say that if I KNEW that they would be bad forever, I wouldn't want that title.

But if I didn't know about that little detail, I definitely would have wanted them to win the championship when I was in high school though, because by the end of my 4 years, I was tired of hearing, "Packers Suck" 20 times a day. :( (Even though they weren't that bad during that time)

16. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

The pirates would be a great one to use that on. I couldn't pick one because the SF Giants appear to be on our way to a couple more! The Titans have promise for me in football and I don't really have a fav basketball team since I just love watching all the best players.

To satisfy the post topic though I'd have to say US Soccer mens team wins the World Cup!!!

17. TJM

TJM Walk On

I'm rooting for the Titans (except when they play Pittsburgh). HC Munchak is a PSU alum.

18. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

Yeah man ive been a fan since those days. Run n Shoot caught my eye somewhere in middle school and never looked back. Now we are in Tennessee, Fisher is gone, but at least we hired from within and Munchak was solid for us (he also brought in Bruce Matthews to take over OLine duties which is great).

19. Goose

Goose Walk On

This is one hell of a tough question, as a life long Cleveland sports fan I've never seen any of my teams other than the Crunch win a title. As awesome as The Lombardi Trophy would look in Cleveland, I'd have to see my Tribe win the World Series. I still hate Mesa for blowing the game in '97. Guy gets like 100 straight saves during the year and crumbles in game 7. I still hate Counsel for that.