FC Tradition...Tactically Moving In the Appropriate Direction

Discussion in 'TFCL - Tradition Futbol Clubs League' started by Jon MK, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Jon MK

Jon MK FIFA-reak

First of all, thank you guys. I know the last few weeks have been not to par in terms of where were headed, but I already like what I'm seeing. In recent things I've seen vast improvements in our movement both on and off the ball. I think a lot of this is related to some of our guys who only limited themselves to clubs and moved over to our league/cup competitions. More experience is key here, and I'm glad to see y'all getting more involved in the game. Vocally we still get off topic, me being one of the leaders of this, but I feel like we should keep it light in game.

I want to go over a few things to keep in mind for each type of outfielder.

Forwards: We normally only play with one, this means more pressure for our only guy. Most of our set ups do not have room for excellent dribbling skills, and we often run ourselves into a dead end. I like the fact that were going for that dangerous cross, but we should be sending those in blindly. That said, I want our forwards to work not unlike a cam in the middle third, distribute backwards or east/west to our wings. This will make our build up a little more smooth, gives us time to get in position, and saves out strikers energy for movement in the box. Now I like Shaun's description of 'bully in the box'. Ideally I'd like for you guys to be flirting with 6' and ~150-160. I know we love speed but the way we play is a pretty physical style. You can still get around those CPU defenders with 80 speed, but more strength means you win more balls (more importanly not get pushed off a ball you already possess) and you have a greater chance to get those floating in on the cross. Now if those skill set doesn't work for you, then I might reconsider your choice, you're role in the pitch is 'get ball, score'. Let those around you do the creating. One tip: use 'LB+A'... It's the give and go, you're player makes the pass, on the move and it gives you a step. I use this pretty much all the time AND at every position.

CAM: This is probably the most difficult position on The field, next to goalkeeper. It can totally suck, if you're having an off night then you're causing turnovers most of the time and make us in general suck. We have two excellent ones, in Michael Woodward and Drifterbub, but they're not on all the time. I can't really critique other. Only say to emulate them. Their success lies heavily in a balance of patience and anticipation. Drift is excellent at taking a touch and getting rid of the ball immediately. He does what all smart athletes of any sport does: know your next move so your defender won't. When Mike and Drift get the ball, they knew before they received it what their next move was. They've read the field as the ball is coming toward them and planned their touch(es) and pass or shot. Especially when drift play, he is QUICK to get rid of it. I like the mentality. The not tip I have for those playing cam is to pretty much hold LT every time a ball is received or passed. Precision is key to success in this position, and soft first touches and perfect passes is the result with LT.

Wings: So I was reading the profile page, and I noticed a lot of people find themselves to be successful at LM/RM and posted that as their primary. The wing is a glamour position, it's easy to notice phenomenal wing play. We all know how they're set up: short, skinny and fast. One thing I noticed, and I do it as well, is our wings tend to do a bit too much and too often. Now some people have said that its a two way street and I'm open to any criticism from the club. As one of our primary wingers, I know that I hold the ball, and probably too much at times. I won't justify my case as to why I do it because its not how the game should be played. I've always said play into space.
    The wings have a lot of space. They're fast for a reason, to stretch the back line. Our guys make a lot of straight runs, I'd like to focus more on diagonals toward the goal, let our wing backs push up our sidelines. They're just like you except they tackle a lot better and shoot less often. I want to see more driven (double tap X) or ground (triple tap X) crosses, and if you see our striker with ball side positioning, I want that early cross sent just inside the penalty spot for him to go get. But mostly.. I would like to see more drop passes, getting our midfield involved. When the wings go back for the ball, unless you know for a fact the guy running to contain you on the ball is going to fly past you, I want to see the square pass half the time. I will work on this too. I think our give and go fundamentals will prove dangerous here, normally works for me.. Then you can make your straight run up the field. Things I'd like to see more: early crosses In the middle part of the pitch.. The Richuation used to scare the shit out of me back in FIFA 12. Next time you hop on and you're playing a friendly, do a give and go from a central midfielder to your wing and hit your LB+X when they're back line is pushed up, and watch the frenzy of their any switching players to get back and help. Be tactful, it can get intercepted easily if the incorrect power isn't used.

D-Mids: I call these guys the janitors. I posted something in response to hammerhead1010 a good month ago about this position. It's easier said than done to play this. One thing I've noticed is that when were playing poorly, it normally relates to us being out of position and forcing our defensive mids into tight passing lanes or no forward options. This is something we've been working on vocally in game, but I will stress this again and again: the back pass is safer than squandering what might be an ok opportunity that leads to a turnover and a quick shot/goal on our end. This position is lucky in the sense that when receiving a pass, there is normally plenty of space to move into or to pass into. Ideally I'd like to see more quick one touch passes to our cam or our defenders.
    We run with an any because we need to be bailed out, I'm quick to admit this. On top of this, your defensive roles are paramount in getting us clean sheets. I know it's difficult to stay in position, people get sucked to the ball (like under 5s do). I'd like to see more switching, or calling out ball or switch. You're the left and right, and the CPU centre backs are busy marking the retarded striker on the other team who is already offside. Use that contain (A button), but not religiously. I've found it to be much more useful playing defense with both triggers held in. It's a quick strafe, to be correct 'a running jockey'. These help on the defensive end greatly. You can squeeze around a guy and head the ball out or quickly run in and block a shot. Be wary using this though, the dreaded super cancel is also the same key load, and it has cost me before. A useful move for our D-mids is RB+X. This is that driven, hard passes that skims above the surface. It is super useful when splitting two guys (like their cam and striker) when we move the ball across the back of our formation, if not using a big switch. Be generous with the power, but also be tactful. It can be easily intercept if an animation is moving toward the passing lane. I also want to see more use of LT when receiving the ball, if you chose a direction to move, it will shield the ball or draw a foul. I really would like to see you guys think ahead here of your next move. The pitch is yours to mold.

Wing Backs: These are pretty much our utility role. It's unique because your role in our offense is entirely up to you. Your decisions to hold or make the run change the dynamic of the other squad. Ideally I'd like to see the runs made as a switch is coming back across the formation toward your side of the pitch, you can choose to support or run the overlap. If The opponent chooses to play your pass down the sideline, im perfectly ok with you running at the goal and ripping a shot from 30 yards out, it could go in.. I want to make this completely obvious: if you're caught up the pitch, say something so one of our d mids can rotate into your spot. Now I want all of our wing backs to have early crosser trait, second wind, and acrobatic clearance(if possible). If you have questions on how to defend better, it might be useful to use your contain and LT+RT combination then running up and hitting B. The tackle button I use as a last ditch effort, same with the slide tackle. In clubs, your opponent almost always trying to get past you instead of trying to pass it around you. Good teams exploit your poor positioning with the passing game, the ball moves quicker when not on being dribbled. So tap the A occassionally to make sure your in position and use those triggers otherwise, and try not to over commit because when we do the cut back will not be there.

Centre Backs: this is straight forward, shut this shit down and keep it on lock. Most guys don't play here because they don't have the balls too, and can't handle the bitching and ego hits. This could be the most difficult position on our squad. I don't mind playing it. In all honesty, I'd rather someone who has played soccer and can read passing lanes to play here, or someone who played safety in football. It's the same idea. It requires a great amount of discipline, to stay at home, and hold the back line. We often run offside traps, mostly because the teams we play have a bunch of ramrods on their teams who think they can run onto a through ball and score every possession. Not so fast. There is no real secret, it's not a glorious, nor highly paid position in real life. In fact, my team Chelsea has been having some trouble putting results together and the defense is largely getting blamed for this. They let in shitty chances and even with one of, if not the worlds best goal keepers, can't collectively stop mediocrely matched up squads. We don't have too many guys volunteering for these spots, because 'they don't get the ball enough'. Sure they do, just on the wrong side of the field. And they are dangerous, especially on set pieces. If you need tips on playing this position better, you shouldn't be playing it at all. But seriously, if you do just read them from my previous paragraphs.

All this said, I will post spots that I want some of y'all to focus on, I'll add and subtract but this is mostly for guys who play regularly and where I want to see guys shine. Also consider that we might not always be running this same 4-2-3-1 wide formation forever.

Position - Who

ST -
    ConiglioSG - you're one of our more knowledgeable club members, I think you could be successful here.

LM/RM -
    hammerhead1010 - you've gotten much, MUCH better since joining us league side last release. This is still a position you struggle with, but you'll get it, I got faith.

CAM - abolishthefed - i think you're excellent on the wing, and every other position you play.. I want to see you here a bit more, and have faith you'll work well here.

LDM/RDM -
    Danthraxxx - work on knowing your next pass before moving with the ball, you tend to beat yourself (realized this when we did our intra squad match).
    Gravity - no Kobe action for this spot, it's not an offensive role. This a metta world peace role, stop me and give the ball away.

LB/RB -
    fuzzyl0gic - work on effective defense, the offense will come.

CB -
    Gravity - I think you're improving quickly, but I'd like to see you play here and stay disciplined and at home. I don't want you to necessarily do this in club matches, try going to custom games -> team play and work on it. I'll play some matches with you if you want.

GK - Jon MK - you're a shitty goal keeper but I like the desire, only when drinking do your real desires come out.

More importantly, for the guys who only play clubs.. I want you to stop being like that. I truly believe that to be successful, you have to understand how to run a squad and make passes from every position on the field. So on slow club nights, I'd rather we all get together and run a 1v1 tourney.

If you have problems or questions, please post here.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 6
  2. fuzzyl0gic

fuzzyl0gic No new friends

Thanks for writing that up, I actually figured out I was manual for like a week (d'oh!) and I have vastly improved.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Gravity

Gravity Hey, I'm Batman

I have felt like I had been playing much better the past few times I played. I am getting a lot more comfortable with the ball/doing more square passes etc. LB is still my go to spot, but I enjoy playing at LDM when I can. I'll try out the CB spot when I get some time to mess around with it.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ConiglioSG

ConiglioSG Walk On

First of all, nice thread ;).

About the forward position, I will try to adjust to the teams mentality (inside the box type of forward). However I have noticed that there are not many different type of crosses coming from wings or midfielders. I mean, the normal ones (coming from the sides) are ok, but I'd love to get some crosses coming from the corners behind the box. A good cross from that positions can open up the game or just leave me wide open.

depositphotos_4940670-3d-empty-soccer-field.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the drawings lol. But its simple, the black areas is from where I think we are lacking crosses to the open areas n the box. Red circles is where the FW is waiting for the ball and the dark red lines are the examples from where I think we should crossing the ball sometimes. To surprise the defenders.

The last one with the zig zag black lines -> This is some sort of route from a type of cross for the wingers. Run down the middle and quickly turn towards the inside of the box, run a bit and cross it or lob it to the open space.

The other thing, and its something that you mentioned in there. I dont see many give and go's in general, its a great way to get some extra time to get away from the defender with a deep or t ball. This could be done in general as with the forward once in a while if dont have anywhere else where to pass the ball.
    At least myself, as a forward I could benefit from that move if the other player has a quick soft touch and releases the ball quickly.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

This will come as no surprise to Drifterbub , but had no clue how to make a driven pass :( lol

Good work as always Jon MK , I have tried to use the skill games to get a better grasp of the controls , but maybe we could put together some kind control guide that not only explains how to perform certain passes or skills , but also when and why to use them ?
    Just a thought from a soccer n00b :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jon MK

Jon MK FIFA-reak

I'll write one up in the near future. I'm trying not to over stimulate, I want you specifically to keep it simple!

7. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

Good points. To help the wingers out...

If you want to do the crosses from further out and swing them into the box, they need to be early crosses. You do that by holding LB when you hit X for the cross. Sometimes, you can even catch someone running on the opposite side of the pitch and you want to lead him into space, use the X button for that as well not Y.

Easiest way to think about it is, use Y (through ball) or LB and Y (Chip through) for people running away from you on the same side of the pitch, use LB + X for early crosses into the box, X for people running into space on the other side of the pitch as you. Try these out sometimes.

As for triple tapping X for ground crosses or double tapping x for near post crosses, to be honest I rarely use them. Probably something personally I can work on more.

8. Leander Francisco

Leander Francisco Walk On

I really just wanted to add to this. I can't stress enough how important it is to be comfortable controlling every position on the pitch. It gives you an understanding of what to expect from each position and how it plays. It teaches you how to find the open space and how to control the tempo of the game. You don't always have to make a Hollywood type of pass when a series of simple passes will work just as well. Don't be afraid to make a backwards pass, either. But once you get around the penalty area, just be careful not to overpass. That has been one of the larger issues.

Also, as it relates to clubs, it teaches you how to deal with high-pressure situations. I have noticed that at times, if a player receives a pass in a tight situation, he will either panic and make a bad pass or just kick it downfield. With as much as the opposing players press high up the pitch, being able to maintain your composure will be very beneficial.

Additionally, I want to add to the point that was made about crossing. There are too many times where a wide player will get the ball and take it to the corner flag and attempt a cross that ends up in the hands of the keeper. There are also instances where the striker and attacking midfielder will be making well-timed runs in the box and all they need is an early cross, but the wide player will just hold onto the ball and dribble back and forth until the opportunity is wasted. Those crosses that come in while attackers are running into the box are the best ones. This is even more important if the plan is to play a taller striker that is good in the air.

Something I decided to add after seeing an earlier post, try to eliminate the chip pass from your game. Especially in the middle of the pitch. They are fine in the attacking third, if not overused. But it is very difficult to get the amount of pace on the ball required to have it not hold up your teammate. A touch or two in one direction will change the angle enough for a simple pass to work.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  9. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

I bolded the parts that I especially liked in your post. Great post. I was playing with the guys last week and was challenging folks to keep it on the ground and we were much more successful doing so. I will say, I rarely ever use the chip through ball, it's got to be the perfect situation. It's much better to pass back to create space or pass to the guy next to you.

A bunch of us say it, make the easy pass!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Good post.

I try and try to preach triangle passing and give-and-go passing but it seems most are hell bent on ignoring it or attempting multiple poorly executed skill moves.

Your comment about early crosses is valid, however there are fewer people on this club who make good runs as a striker/CAM and even fewer actually look for that pass.

It's a learning process. I now have a LOT of film of us playing and would gladly turn that over to someone who wants to break it down and create some videos of incorrect plays so that it could be used as a learning tool.

11. Jon MK

Jon MK FIFA-reak

I would.

12. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I think we just need to start expecting give and go's more often. Last night Michael Woodward and myself had it down to a T. I knew if he came towards me when I had the ball at RM on the sideline, that I could pass it to him towards the middle and take off and that Mike would be looking to give it right back. It is a very simple play and one we definitely do not utilize enough. Especially when the LB/RB is CPU, a give and go can get right by them in a couple seconds.

Also completely agree on guys just needing to play more games by themselves. Understanding effective ways to move the ball down the pitch (other than just constantly trying to counter attack/fast break) is crucial and everyone should have ideas on how to move it down slowly and under control.

13. Jon MK

Jon MK FIFA-reak

14. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Read but have not had a chance to apply , on a good note I have been watching much more footy lately , I think it was a Liverpool match the other day where I saw a disgustingly sick goal of a back heel :goal:

• Like Like x 1
  15. eheskey11

eheskey11 Walk On

Clubs is not easy at all. One's ability to play the game has little to do with the success rate of a squad i feel. We just need to play with each other more and get an idea of what the others around us are capable of doing.

This is my first time ever playing clubs and i enjoy it, so hopefully i can get used to it enough to become a permanant squad member.

As for the LB+A, does that work in clubs? Every man controls themselves so that's strange if it does.