Feedback on FA with new cap rules

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Winuvas, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Since I'm the innovator around here and not terribly important, I like feedback on things I put in. So I have a question, mainly for the older OMFL veterans, but also for guys who play/played in other leagues with points-based systems: How are we liking free agency under the new cap/dollar rules setup we have?

Please let me know here what you think, whether it is good or bad. I don't care. Sometimes harsh criticism is the best thing to implement change, if it's done properly.

This is not for the board. This is for me to help tweak this machine, if need be, to make it better for YOU. If you don't feel comfortable posting in this forum thread, send me a PM or AIM message with your comments. Again, good or bad, I want your input, guys!

2. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

hey winny. The way it is set up this offseason, with one and only one bid for each pwner for a specific player, it sets up a very big advantage the later you bid on a player in their bidding window. You will know how many teams placed bids and how desperate some of those teams are and maybe stay away and overshoot the player with only one bid on by 2 million over base and easy win the player.

My thought are improvments to an already great method is A) Someone opens the bidding window like this offseason, but each team can rebid as much as they want, only going up in total salary and mod of course. This way the guys who stay up till 5 in the morning wont have insider info that most of the initial bidders DONT have.

B) Do it exactly like this season but tweek it very lightly with Once the first team opens the bidding window on that player, the time starts and any other team wont post there so numbers of bids involved wont be present and wont create advantages to the late bidders.

Thinking about this while typing i thought of another point, crazy salaries will be down as compared to years past because owner X wont see 8 players involved in a player and feel a need to come 15 million over the top to secure that player.

Just shooting some suhish ideas your way winny

3. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

I agree with what Ox posts. I think bidding should remain open so teams can rebid. I didnt mind how we did it last year,

4. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

I think this year you can get hosed if you are the first one to bid, people just wait to see how many bids there are and then gage the bid they put in based on that.

Sorta makes it unfair for the original bidder and much much harder to land players.

5. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Okay, I will play devil's advocate even though I agree with you: we already have two guys sorting through a bunch of players and checking emails. Now you want to propose MORE emails?

I do agree with you, though: it is a problem for the initial bidder to bid and then get beat at the last minute. Maybe I could offer up a suggestion of having TRUE blind bidding. Basically when FA starts, no posts. Send emails to the email address with team - name - position - overall and send in bid. No posts done except by the free agent guys letting the league know that a player has a claim on him. Never say what team. Just post when they get first email, and then 24 hours from that point, bidding is closed.

That way NO one gets an unfair advantage on knowing who else is in bidding. True blind bidding.

6. dritsch

dritsch Walk On

I always liked the open bidding where we can see whats going on. This blind bidding I see a lot of problems with, but don't want to get into them. The cap system and the open bidding I think went great together.

7. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

my issue is it drives prices up. we already had 24 million dollar players, open bidding they go 50 because guys get caught up in the hype and drive up prices on players that don't need to be. i love blind bidding. it puts strategy into it. if your the first to bid and you want the cat, then bring an offer and lets see who has the best. no one has an advantage period. bring your one offer to the table and lets see who really wants the guy.

8. Jethro

Jethro Walk On

Just because you know how many people bid on a player it doesnt mean that each bid was higher than the next, bring your best offer and thats that. I like the way this year's free agency is set up.

9. bigox1337

bigox1337 Walk On

It basically comes down to if there is no demand for a player, when a team comes to sign that player, it should be base salary offer for that overall. The way the system is set up now, if a owner really really wants or needs a FA, then he will be forced to overpay and double his base to ensure a winning bid. Then 24 hours later nobody else bids on that player, you have basically thrown a good chunk of money away and cost yourself a decent size cap hit later on down the road for a player that could have been signed at base.

And yes jethro, in a blind bidding war, you have to assume that each bid is an incremental increase in salary or you never gonna win any FA.

10. Coach KO

Coach KO Walk On

Interesting thought. So you are assuming that the last person to bid one the free agent? IM sure we have people (Much smarter than I) who could do an analysis of this to determine if that was the case.

I think the FA period is fine as it is. It allows for checks and balances. Someone who posts on the board but doesnt send an email, perhaps someone could see if there was an issue with the email. Or vice versa.

My only feedback on the cap structure itself was regarding penalties. I think there has to be a way to include a portion of the salary. Especially for those who have modifiers above 1.

For example, you cut player A who has 1m salary 20k bonus x2 modifier. Currently if you cut that guy, you pay a penalty of only 40k. Im suggesting that since it should hurt you more to cut a player that starts (hence the bigger modifier) that a portion of their salary be included in cap hits.

Now, im sure there are things i am not remembering. Or complications. Such as mandatory cuts. These are just some ideas though. Feel free to rip it apart. Im perfectly fine leaving it as is as well

11. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

in only 12 of the 30 cases where more than 1 team bid on the same player, did the last bidder NOT win.

12. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

so in 18/30, the last bidder won, so far

13. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

So about 40% then.

14. saintsdave75

saintsdave75 Walk On

the cases where the first bidder wins: 7/30

15. greeeeeeeeg2003

greeeeeeeeg2003 Walk On

I am new to this league but have been involved in leagues for the past 6 years. Here are my thoughts:

1) I think the blind bid process in OMFL works perfectly! However I think owners need to remember just that you place in the forum you placed a "tag" doesn't mean you have to send the email asap. You do have time to wait and see who is bidding and see there cap space and plan accordingly. I did this for both FS's i got and checked the cap room they have vs. mine and was able to get both players.

2) This is a newbie mistake in this league but i scrwed myself on going after a player i shouldn't have and couldn't really afford. I made it work but it cost me in the end. Just b/c Team A offers player A an "offer" doesn't mean they have to sign him until that window closes. Wouldn't mind having the option to "pull" a bid if you see 10 guys bidding so you can properly allocate those "funds" to another player.

3) I think the FA system in this league is top notch. The other league i was in let you stock pile picks and didn't offer the competive advantages for every team as OMFL does. No way in another league a new owner like myself can come in with the Browns and get two 90 ovr Safty's to make a push in one year.

16. pbates86

pbates86 Walk On

I'm with Drisch...I preferred the old method to this. Personally I think the whole system is messed up and needs to be worked on from ground up. I think there should be a max total salary for players...and that figure would have to be like what a 99 ovr player with the top modifier value for that position.If not something like that we at least need the ability to either rebid or be notified if we have been outbid before the 24 hours is up.

People won't overspend on players like they do now if there are real repercussions to cutting them. Right now the logic is I have the money why not spend it...because shit...thats what its there for? "Whats the difference between a 25 million and a 5 million offer when as long as I'm under the cap everything is ok?"

Here is an idea....In real life players seek long term deals. When we bid on a player perhaps we could include and length of contract to the offer. And for this to work then my idea for max contracts would probably have to be used too. Anyway...its late and I'm rambling...goodnight.

17. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

ouch, ground up? lol good stuff bates

18. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Well, during the season, we do normal forum style bidding. During the offseason, to try to prevent people being...well, I'll call it like I see it.....jerks about trying to drive prices up, we went to blind bidding. It worked okay last year. I think this year it worked a lot better with the cap book dollars coming into play.

Perhaps we could look at driving up bonuses on players? Maybe having no overall have zero bonus payout? That way everyone cut gets some kind of penalty? Just throwing out ideas here to see what might stick.

I personally really like the idea of TRUE blind bidding. Basically, have owners say they have used x/5 claim tag on a player, but no post of who it is or what not. The free agency board members post all the players that they have gotten email bids on and post the time in which it was received. All teams then have 24 hours from the first email sent (NOT when the player is posted up!!!!) to send an email only (like we do this year) but no post saying they have put a claim tag on player X. This way, NO one knows the demand on the player, and everyone puts their best foot forward.

If we did this, however, I would be in favor of also making it "e-bay style", where if ONLY one team bids on a player, no matter how much they offered, they only pay the minimum base salary/bonus for the player.

Does that make sense? lol

Again, just throwing out ideas here to see what might be a popular, easy choice or not.