FIFA Do/Don't Video

Discussion in 'Tradition Soccer' started by RedAL925, Jan 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedAL925

RedAL925 TSL Commissioner

We have begun the process of creating a FIFA Dos & Don'ts video for instructional purposes. So far we are planning to include examples of good & bad:

- goal kick procedures
    - throw in procedures
    - defensive pressure
    - pausing of game

If there is anything else you'd like to see included in the video, please post here.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

Great idea!

3. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Great idea, good luck with it. There's so much grey area in FIFA etiquette, that I can't even wrap my head around combining it into one place. As long as slide #1 says, "Don't be a douche" I think it will sum it up perfectly :) If I think of anything to add as I come across it I'll post here. Maybe some custom tactic no nos?

• Like Like x 2
  4. RedAL925

maybe for Part II...the main focus now is game play

• Like Like x 1
  5. eheskey11

eheskey11 Walk On

This one is simply a personal pet-peev of mine but i'll throw it out there anyway.

The watching of cut-scenes and replays. Both ABSOLUTELY do my head in.

1) START UP VIDEO:
    At the start when someone wants to go through the entire pre-match build up video. WHY? we've seen it a MILLION times. We don't even need to seen the formations, but even that alone would be tolerable.

2) REPLAYS:

Man O Man, the amount of times i have been close to sending my controller for flying lessons due to this. If you score an absolute cracker of goal, and i mean...ABSOLUTE! then I could live with it. But there are so many people who just watch replays for the fun of it. Save it for after the match is done and watch them at your heart's content; multiple angles, slow motion...heck, turn on the surround sound and watch it in Dolby if you have to. Just don't do it during the match. It kills the flow of the game.

I personally feel that EA ought to make this an option that both parties have to be in favor of. So if someone scores, I can press the 'A' button and cancel it to get on with the match.

3) BOOMERANG GK

Boomerang goal kicks being taken advantage of.
    Maybe i haven't quite figured out how to avoid them, but nothing gets my goat more than someone who takes advantage of the goal kick that comes right back to the keepers box for the attacker to simply tap it in. Not sure how everyone would feel about it, but hey, that's just how i feel.

4) INJURY ON THE PITCH

Come on, kick the ball into touch or at least hold possession at the back for a bit.

6. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

[QUOTE="eheskey11].

3) BOOMERANG GK

Boomerang goal kicks being taken advantage of.
    Maybe i haven't quite figured out how to avoid them, but nothing gets my goat more than someone who takes advantage of the goal kick that comes right back to the keepers box for the attacker to simply tap it in. Not sure how everyone would feel about it, but hey, that's just how i feel.

[/QUOTE]

This is also a pet peeve of mine. It's pretty unrealistic. If I'm the beneficiary of it I typically just keep possession and knock it back to a midfielder. They really need to fix the CB logic on these. It is better this year than it was last year though.

7. RedAL925

This will definitely be included in the video

8. A_Touch_Of_Class

A_Touch_Of_Class Walk On

wheres this video....

9. eheskey11

eheskey11 Walk On

...indeed

Oh, and did i mention REPLAYS! ;)

10. RedAL925

patience is a virtue

we're going to get it right the first time, so it's going to take a while. plus we only have one guy with the video capture unit

11. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

This is also a pet peeve of mine. It's pretty unrealistic. If I'm the beneficiary of it I typically just keep possession and knock it back to a midfielder. They really need to fix the CB logic on these. It is better this year than it was last year though.[/quote]

What exactly is a boomerang GK?

12. A_Touch_Of_Class

A_Touch_Of_Class Walk On

When you take the goal kick and you opponent heads it right back towards your net to his wide open forward.

13. dooz

dooz Walk On

What's the issue here, though? If you know you're not going to win the goal-kick, don't send it long at the CBs. What's the solution? Allow the attacking team to win the ball in the midfield?

We don't pressure goal-kicks/defenders. If you want to retain possession, just pass it to your defenders. It's a decision on your part to send it long.

14. eheskey11

eheskey11 Walk On

It's also a decision on your part to go for the short pass. I've ran into that situation many times as well. Some people are just really good and reading the game and if they don't manage to block the short pass, you still have the added task of now getting it upfield through their entire team. Which is something i'd rather avoid of possible. Of course i'm talking in general here, rather than just TSO rules.

In my personal opinion, it's best to do a short lob to open attacker. Usually somewhere between the bottom of the midfield circle and the top of the D. Or you can just blast it out, somewhere close to midfield.

15. dooz

dooz Walk On

I must not understand the issue. FWIW, I don't think I use this tactic, though my league mates would be better to decide that, I guess. You're talking about how quickly your own goal kick comes back at your d, if you lose the initial header? I'll make sure to slow the game down if I win that header in the future but I also don't see why I should play the ball out to you if I won the header off your goal-kick.

I honestly feel like I'm not understand what the issue is, the more I think about it.

16. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

What I do in this situation is just drop the ball back to a midfielder and still keep possession myself. I think what he's saying, and I agree, is it's frustrating how easy it is for a striker to get a breakaway when the defense wins a goal kick. There's nothing wrong with keeping possession off of it though IMO.

17. eheskey11

eheskey11 Walk On

Maybe you've been getting lucky then.

have you never noticed that, no matter where you try to place a goal kick, the oppositions defenders get their head onto it?
    Not only that, but it always ends up as a power header that perfectly ends up bombing towards the box from which it just came; and of course, with your entire team pushing up field with the hopes of getting on the end of that goal kick, you're left for dust as the opponents furthest attacker can easily latch on to the returning header.

Does that explain things a bit better?

Basically, the general thought is that this is something that just can not seem to be avoided. Thus it has got to a point where the scenario goes beyond the simple chance that a defender just happend to win the header. It's an advantage that has been given to the opposing team.

18. eheskey11

eheskey11 Walk On

Oh yeah, this is what i do out of respect for the (what i call) flaw. However, there are many that are very aware of this flaw; so much so that they deliberately push a striker far up field, know that there's a 95% chance that the ball is coming right back.

19. dooz

dooz Walk On

Well, in real-life playing the ball long into the middle of the field is a low % play anyway, so I almost always play the ball short. I'll make sure not to spring a quick attack off it but it's also a choice you make to play the ball long, knowing about the "flaw".

20. eheskey11

eheskey11 Walk On

I'm not sure if 'middle' is really the focus. It's just a goal kick in general. Sure, the short pass will give you a higher percentage, but as i mentioned before, you're then left with the added task of getting the ball past an entire team. If you're passing game is that good, then all the power to you. Plus, I don't think we're trying to compare this to real life. If we were, then it would probably hold as an even bigger argument, because the majority of goal kicks are long and not short, but you don't see most of them immediately coming back to your box.

Being that you play the short pass most of the time, how do you deal with high pressure teams?

21. dooz

dooz Walk On

Not very well, lol.

22. eheskey11

eheskey11 Walk On

Hahahahaa! Me neither.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.