1. If you haven't seen already, TSO is now powered by Discord! This means that we will eventually be disbanding the embedded chat on the main forum page. Head to this page to learn more on how to integrate your TSO account with discord! https://traditionsportsonline.com/wiki/discord-integration/

Final Rankings BETA

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by Shaun Mason, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Final Rankings BETA

Guys,

The new and improved rankings are up at http://www.traditionfootball.com/rankings. If anyone is bored and wants to test input some game results (they can be fictitious), feel free. I would like to get a few hundred records to see how it performs. I still haven't limited it to premier members just yet (next week), so everyone can help test if they want.

--

Some info about the rankings:

I implemented the TrueSkill algorithm that Xbox Live games use for rankings and matchmaking. It is pretty neat, if your interested in the math it can be found at: http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/6...S2006_0688.pdf

The basic idea is each player is assigned a mean skill level and a standard deviation. After each "match" these are recalculated based on the result and the opponents "level".

So, you start with a 25 level and if you beat someone with a 35 level, you move up and the reverse is true. The standard deviation shrinks as you play more games and your final rank is calculated using both. Unlike the way I did it last time, you won't see people at the top of the rankings just because they play a ton, or because they beat on weak competition.

Eventually I will put up a way to break the average "rank" by league so we can see what leagues really are good.:) The more people we have playing just matched games outside of leagues the better the data will get. After a while, you should be able to use it to figure out who will give you a good game and who won't.

Shaun

2. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

sweet, great work as usual shaun.

3. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Will the rankings be for only premier members in premier leagues? Just wondering since I only saw PLs in the options

4. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    It will be only for premier members. As for only premier leagues, since you can only report games against other premier members, if you happen to play a game against another premier member in a non-premier league, you can label the league as OTHER.

I imagine that will be a rare occurrence since most premier members play in premier leagues. Premier members can also report "pick up" games against other premier members. If you could report games against non-premier members they would end up ranked, which is not the intent of the system.

5. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Ok cool. Was just wondering because I'm a premier member not in a premier league by choice.

Sounds and looks good. I was gonna just go in and add a bunch of games for the beta but don't wanna someone to get mad if they noticed I gave 'em an L, lol. I did however add two recent games vs. two premier members.

6. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I am going to wipe the data out about 7/11/10, so it won't matter.:)

7. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Just got this message as I was boosting:

---

Shaun Edit: That is a timeout issue, I will look into it, but probably just server load.

8. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I added 10 games for myself (I was hot too as I won all 10!) for ya. I found it interesting that After going 6-0 including a win over another 6-0 team I was still ranked behind 2-0 Ryno. You would think that I would've been ranked ahead of him by that point (I finally was @ 7-0).

9. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

@jello... it was a tough game but I finally had to cool you off lol

@shaun... suggestion: I think the scores scroll across the top to slowly... felt like I waited 2 minutes to see a score between you and Ryno.

10. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

I wonder...

scenario: two level 1's, both 0-0

You beat that person, but after that point they are undefeated and a level 15.
    Do you get the credit for beating a level 15 even though they were at level 1 at the time you played? Probably not?

11. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Remember it is competition based. So, it thinks Ryno had much tougher competition than the bunch of 0-1 jabronies you faced.:) It gets far better the more data is entered.

12. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    No, it is deterministic only based on the time you played. What if you played me and I practiced, got much better and started beating on people? You still beat me when I was garbage, right?

13. jello1717

Did you miss the part where I beat a 6-0 guy?

14. jello1717

Sooooooo.

I'm 13-1 and ranked 5th.

JerzeyReign is 12-2 and ranked 1st.

I beat him 55-14.

I jump up to 4th which sounds about right.

Jerzey, after losing to the #5 guy, drops from 1st place to 15th place?!? This ranking formula seems kinda hinky to me. Did he drop so far because I hung 55 on him?

15. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Yea, I am writing a test app to verify I got the calculation correct.:)

16. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Alright, start jamming data back in.

I had a freaking moronic section of code...trying to pull a floating point value out of the database as a Boolean, then using it in a calculation.

17. jello1717

I just love that there's probably a lot of people here who don't understand what you just wrote. Sometimes it's fun to be a nerd!

18. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Yeah! I don't have any.... idea.... what... that all means...

... okay I'm a terrible liar.

19. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I was about to say...your a fellow enginerd, I know you know what that means.:)

20. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

[​IMG]

21. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Exactly...I had the wrong stategery.

22. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Shaun, did you erase my record from yesterday? If not, it didn't save from day to day.

23. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

i get this feeling you want to elaborate... indulge me.

24. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

No not really. I was just asking because when you choose leagues it only has the premier leagues and sometimes you may play a premier member in a non premier league. I only added the 'by choice' to make sure people didn't think I was complainin' about not being in a PL or something. Some things I type get takin' out of context so I was just ending any "bitchassness" early that's all. But shaun answered it already, thanks.

25. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Yea, I erased them because I goofed up one of the calculations.