Final Rankings BETA

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by Shaun Mason, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Final Rankings BETA

Guys,

The new and improved rankings are up at http://www.traditionfootball.com/rankings. If anyone is bored and wants to test input some game results (they can be fictitious), feel free. I would like to get a few hundred records to see how it performs. I still haven't limited it to premier members just yet (next week), so everyone can help test if they want.

--

Some info about the rankings:

I implemented the TrueSkill algorithm that Xbox Live games use for rankings and matchmaking. It is pretty neat, if your interested in the math it can be found at: http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/6...S2006_0688.pdf

The basic idea is each player is assigned a mean skill level and a standard deviation. After each "match" these are recalculated based on the result and the opponents "level".

So, you start with a 25 level and if you beat someone with a 35 level, you move up and the reverse is true. The standard deviation shrinks as you play more games and your final rank is calculated using both. Unlike the way I did it last time, you won't see people at the top of the rankings just because they play a ton, or because they beat on weak competition.

Eventually I will put up a way to break the average "rank" by league so we can see what leagues really are good.:) The more people we have playing just matched games outside of leagues the better the data will get. After a while, you should be able to use it to figure out who will give you a good game and who won't.

Shaun

2. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

sweet, great work as usual shaun.

3. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Will the rankings be for only premier members in premier leagues? Just wondering since I only saw PLs in the options

4. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    It will be only for premier members. As for only premier leagues, since you can only report games against other premier members, if you happen to play a game against another premier member in a non-premier league, you can label the league as OTHER.

I imagine that will be a rare occurrence since most premier members play in premier leagues. Premier members can also report "pick up" games against other premier members. If you could report games against non-premier members they would end up ranked, which is not the intent of the system.

5. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Ok cool. Was just wondering because I'm a premier member not in a premier league by choice.

Sounds and looks good. I was gonna just go in and add a bunch of games for the beta but don't wanna someone to get mad if they noticed I gave 'em an L, lol. I did however add two recent games vs. two premier members.

6. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I am going to wipe the data out about 7/11/10, so it won't matter.:)

7. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Just got this message as I was boosting:

---

Shaun Edit: That is a timeout issue, I will look into it, but probably just server load.

8. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

I added 10 games for myself (I was hot too as I won all 10!) for ya. I found it interesting that After going 6-0 including a win over another 6-0 team I was still ranked behind 2-0 Ryno. You would think that I would've been ranked ahead of him by that point (I finally was @ 7-0).

9. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

@jello... it was a tough game but I finally had to cool you off lol

@shaun... suggestion: I think the scores scroll across the top to slowly... felt like I waited 2 minutes to see a score between you and Ryno.

10. MurkYa21

MurkYa21 Walk On

I wonder...

scenario: two level 1's, both 0-0

You beat that person, but after that point they are undefeated and a level 15.
    Do you get the credit for beating a level 15 even though they were at level 1 at the time you played? Probably not?

11. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Remember it is competition based. So, it thinks Ryno had much tougher competition than the bunch of 0-1 jabronies you faced.:) It gets far better the more data is entered.

12. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    No, it is deterministic only based on the time you played. What if you played me and I practiced, got much better and started beating on people? You still beat me when I was garbage, right?

13. jello1717

Did you miss the part where I beat a 6-0 guy?

14. jello1717

Sooooooo.

I'm 13-1 and ranked 5th.

JerzeyReign is 12-2 and ranked 1st.

I beat him 55-14.

I jump up to 4th which sounds about right.

Jerzey, after losing to the #5 guy, drops from 1st place to 15th place?!? This ranking formula seems kinda hinky to me. Did he drop so far because I hung 55 on him?

15. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Yea, I am writing a test app to verify I got the calculation correct.:)

16. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Alright, start jamming data back in.

I had a freaking moronic section of code...trying to pull a floating point value out of the database as a Boolean, then using it in a calculation.

17. jello1717

I just love that there's probably a lot of people here who don't understand what you just wrote. Sometimes it's fun to be a nerd!

18. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Yeah! I don't have any.... idea.... what... that all means...

... okay I'm a terrible liar.

19. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I was about to say...your a fellow enginerd, I know you know what that means.:)

20. jkhaalis991

jkhaalis991 Back in The Deuce...been gone too long.

[​IMG]

21. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Exactly...I had the wrong stategery.

22. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Shaun, did you erase my record from yesterday? If not, it didn't save from day to day.

23. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

i get this feeling you want to elaborate... indulge me.

24. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

No not really. I was just asking because when you choose leagues it only has the premier leagues and sometimes you may play a premier member in a non premier league. I only added the 'by choice' to make sure people didn't think I was complainin' about not being in a PL or something. Some things I type get takin' out of context so I was just ending any "bitchassness" early that's all. But shaun answered it already, thanks.

25. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Yea, I erased them because I goofed up one of the calculations.