Finally!! Home Field Advantage matters in Madden

Discussion in 'Madden NFL Football' started by Big D, Nov 2, 2012.

  1. Big D

    Big D Walk On

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2009
    Messages:
    4,398
    110-77

    That's records of home teams in my main madden league this year. That's way beyond the scope of it being just random variance. In past seasons home/away records were nearly identical at .500 as there was no "home field advantage" built into Madden.

    In looking at other leagues, it seems as if this trend is continuing.

    Some theories people have is that Madden is giving a significant 'hidden' ratings boost to players when they play at home, and/or increasing the 'random' events that occur in favor of the home team (fumbles, penalties, drops, etc.)

    I actually like it. . .where playing for home field advantage actually makes a difference! I mean who in the past cared about home field advantage in the playoffs. Now it matters.

    What do you guys think of this change? Realistic, or too arbitrary? Have you heard anything further regarding this?
     
    • Like Like x 3
  2. CHUNKNESS

    CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2010
    Messages:
    10,270
    Home field AND momentum play a big part in league games this year. I, too, am a fan.
     
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Keller

    Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2010
    Messages:
    13,939
    I'm bad at math but that works out to be what, a 9% better chance of winning based on those numbers you posted?

    I personally like it. Now that I'm aware of it, that may help me gameplan when I'm "on the road."
     
  4. Big D

    Big D Walk On

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2009
    Messages:
    4,398

    Actually, home teams are winning at a 59% clip. Road teams win 41% of the time. That's a very substantial 18% difference.
     
  5. Keller

    Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2010
    Messages:
    13,939
    Like I said, I'm bad at math. I just assumed that each team would have a 50% chance of winning normally so the difference of 9% either way. So if you're the away team and your chance is normally 50% - now its 41%

    Eh fuck it... math is an asshole.
     
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Black Republican

    Black Republican TMFL Commish -- **ISYMFS** --

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2012
    Messages:
    3,860
    I'm not sold on home field advantage, in my experiences in Madden. They really do need to add something for a HFA, ala NCAA in years past, but with a different twist. I'd say weather has a bigger play on the outcome of a game vs home field. I'd rather play away in a dome than play at home in rain/snow.
     

Share This Page