First Cup Championship!!!!

Discussion in 'TFCL - Tradition Futbol Clubs League' started by PIG BOMB, Jan 20, 2012.

1. PIG BOMB

PIG BOMB Walk On

:trophy: 1/20/2012 : FC Tradition vs LIGAMX : Cup Final :trophy:

Slinkiestmeat8 - RW
    blaxican8504 - CM
    clutchace1914 - LW
    pig bomb - ANY

5-2-2-1 Formation

:trophy: FC Tradition wins a cup in PK's -- first cup of the year!! :trophy:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Leander Francisco

Leander Francisco Walk On

I think it is worth mentioning that Pig had a shot to put us ahead 2-1 in the 111th minute but sent his penalty kick over the bar.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PIG BOMB

PIG BOMB Walk On

just adding to the drama.....oh and mention all of Pigs goals on the night propelling the squad to victory!! :goal: :goal: :goal: :goal: :goal:

4. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Lol

5. MoonBBad

MoonBBad http://twitch.tv/moonbbad

Congrats guys.

6. Jon MK

Jon MK FIFA-reak

Longest cup run ever. 3 matches went to PKs. PIG BOMB stole my idea of a target man in the middle with 2 wings and 5 defenders. Helluva few games though gents. good job

7. MoonBBad

Before you guys blow your wad over formation changes, remember you were playing with four players... It's a lot easier to keep shape in any formation when there are only four human players and the rest are CPU. This wasn't meant to discredit the cup win at all, more of trying to stymie the formation debate before it starts. ;)

8. PIG BOMB

PIG BOMB Walk On

Overall we had a nice mix of players....

- the "any" minimized turnovers and did a good job of feeding the human wingers and center mid the ball

- the human center mid helped the cpu defenders pressuring the ball and then gave us an attacking option centrally, opening up wing play and helping with possession

-on the wings we had the take on artist out on the right, beating guys and serving up assists, meanwhile on the left the winger finished some chances for good goals and also combined with other guys to move the ball down the pitch

.....next time..i think we take the center-mid and make him the 6'6" striker...take my "Any" striker guy and make him the fast sweeper [like the first time i ran the 5 back defense] so he can run down all the BS and allow me to focus on defense and possession play...i think we might win it without going to PKs!

9. MoonBBad

I think I remember something similar happening to a certain someone on Wednesday... However, the lag was the issue correct Leander? ;)

10. PIG BOMB

PIG BOMB Walk On

just FYI

we actually played this before.... the other day and I was the any like last night ..but only controlling the back center 3...all the other players were human

it worked well

there's a reason many of the teams we are facing are also playing 5212's and 532's and 5221's

= 3 center backs helps big time defending crosses and clogging up the middle to deny thru balls..meanwhile the wing backs tend to be open much of the time helping the attack

11. PIG BOMB

PIG BOMB Walk On

in this case the lag was actually absent so it jacked me up...lol
    but i did save a PK to make up for it

12. Jon MK

Jon MK FIFA-reak

We should be prudent on making a cm a striker simply because the skill set given would affect the defense
    . I like the 6'6'' striker so long as he has control in the box. It was like real soccer last night with the movement of the ball and balanced attack.

You're right, it is a bit easier with a few less players but my main point was having a target man and quick wings as feeders. I feel a ball winner at cm would be a good idea as well.

13. PIG BOMB

PIG BOMB Walk On

i wanna learn how to play with my 6-6 guy more...he was a blast.. he scored some goals with his feet in the box as well as his head..and he had a ripper from the top of the box on a fast break
    --i'd like to get better at holding and shielding it and get a good feeling for it - since i typically don't do much of that playing as a winger

the big guy was also devastating on corner kicks

14. MoonBBad

I am in complete agreement with you... However, that's generally how we are set up. Our wingers generally are smaller and quicker, and we always have a target man. Not 6'6" (I think that's a little much), but at least 6'0". Anyways, we can make another formation change if you guys feel strongly about the five in the back. I have no problem trying it out.

So is this how you guys lined up yesterday?
    [​IMG]
    Some tidbits about the formation that I found:​
    The formation has also 5 defenders which gives it big advantage in the defense game. The weakness of this formation is that you don’t have any players on the flank which will make your team weaker on the midfield. While playing in this formation, it is crucial and very important to remember that your strikers are responsible for their duty to help the midfield in defense. I know from experience that strikers and forwards try to avoid everything that has to do with defense. However, if you are playing as a striker or forward you need to realize that every soccer player has defensive duties regardless of their position on the field. So, if you thought that forwards were completely free from their defensive responsibilities then you need to change your mind. While this formation can be pretty efficient against weaker teams your team should consider changing the formation if your opponents have a strong midfield. The team that wins the midfield game will be the winner of the match.
    I bolded some important points... I am curious how you like to see this formation play out. Do you have the LF/RF play high, play further back, play wide? Do the central midfielders stay center while the left and right forwards defensively protect the flanks in the middle third? ​

15. MoonBBad

The more I look at the formation, the more I feel it's not wide enough in the midfield. It just looks like it would be tough to maintain the possession in the midfield, something we haven't done well... However, like I said, I am down to try it, you guys obviously won a cup with it, but I am not sure how successful it would be if we had 9-11 guys on...

Maybe we should also consider the 4-4-1-1 that way we have the CAM and the big target striker, can have speedy wingers who feed the ball inside to the target striker, and have two defensive midfielders who can alternate pushing up to get involved in the attack if need be. This also keeps the option of playing the ball in the center of the pitch as well and allows the CAM to roam and be creative in the midfield with the ball.

16. PIG BOMB

PIG BOMB Walk On

- they way we play it is having the the LF and RF play wide like wingers and comeback into the midfield to receive the ball..they also helped the defense by battling for the ball on the flanks
    - the wing backs attack like crazy when the ball is on their side causing problems for the other teams as they try to figure out how to defend it..when its not on their side they become a 4th defender
    - as a result, we are not weak on the flanks...however there's nothing wrong with being weak on the flanks as it is not a dangerous area to give up..many college/pro teams play a 433 based on the same assumption..every formation has it's weaknesses and strengths

and the last point of the team that wins the midfield wins the match.. is just an opinion...there are many ways to win a match... for example, the other night we dominated a match with 75% possession -completely controlling the midfield- the other team only had 2 shots on goal..but scored on 1 and beat us 1-0

also the 6-6 guy is not "a little much"..well actually he was, for the other team to handle! :) extremes are big in this game...super tall or super small and fast cause problems for the other team..
    im totally for making your player "max out" and become extreme..who wants to play with an avg height guy with average speed, and avg blah blah blah...he's average!!
    gimme messi's super quickness..gimme a tall dominating header in the box...gimme fast outside defenders to match all the messi's we face...etc etc...i want my guy to dominate something

btw the only real winning formula is = the team that scores more goals will win the match! lol

and we dont always have to play one formation...we can see who is playing and how many etc..but i know the guys last night seemed to really like the 5221 and we executed will

17. PIG BOMB

PIG BOMB Walk On

the forwards and wing backs gave us width..ask the guys about last night...we attacked the flanks like crazy..that was our objective in our attack
    the center mid was the danger man at the top of the box when we got the flank attack deep..he also was the wall pass man and switch the play man when in the middle third of the pitch
    obviously the striker was the big target for crosses..and checked to the ball on occasion knocking passes back to middies or wings

18. PIG BOMB

PIG BOMB Walk On

flank play demo..one of many types of attack combos we ran

[​IMG]

RF check and gets the ball from RWB

RF lays it off for RCM who wall passes with him

RF can go 1v1 to beat a guy or may be in open space depending on D

CM's make runs to top of box

RWB runs down the flank to support the play and provide drop pass option

ST and LF make runs off each other

defense stays together and presses up to midfield

one side note...GK distribution via throws to wing backs in "on" quite a bit....making possession play even more effective because we dont lose it on punts...plus the 6-6 ST won a shit ton of punts, flicking it on to the forwards running in support

19. mcyork

mcyork Walk On

fuck I should have stayed on.....or maybe it was good I got off????

20. MoonBBad

This is good stuff... The only issue, and yes I know I am being pessimistic, but I also want to be realistic, is making sure the guys on the flanks are on the same page and the opposite field wing back knows when to stay home if his fellow wing back is pushing forward... The entire defense really needs to be on the same page and rotate one way or the other to cover for each other. Also, looking at your drawings, everyone in the midfield is pushing forward, which is OK because you had 3 user controlled players (LF, RF, ST, and the any which I am assuming controlled one of the central midfielders or wing backs when that close). However, you're probably going to need disiplined defensive midfielders in this formation who push forward at the right times and cover for each other when people are pushing up.

Am I wrong here? I don't know much about the formation, just thinking out loud.

21. PIG BOMB

PIG BOMB Walk On

here's a typical attack from last night with the RF preparing to serve/pass the ball [blue dotted lines]

you can see the general shape of the team

also in orange is what happens if we were to change the field thru the middies after a pass from out wide

one middie [the human one] was certainly more aggressive on offense
    however if if both center mids got "caught" too far up....the center back three discourages central counter attacks...forcing the other team wide, buying some time for everyone to track back

[​IMG]

and also "realistically" we just won a cup playing the 5221 something we have been unable to do using ALL previous tactics and ideas [over 100+ games!]

we were focusing on getting down the flanks [thru combo play and 1v1 moves] and serving balls into the box [or cutting inside for shots or passes to top of 18 for a change up]

PS I always put the setting on "attacking" for each match on the cup run to press our back line all the way up to midfield to keep the pressure on the other team and aid in possession..we only got burned one time on a corner kick counter attack because the FIFA AI is stupid... [this can be avoided if i make i fast sweeper CB while playing as the "any"..but overall we rocked it!

22. MoonBBad

Looks good, but generally happens with us is those two central midfielders won't be positioned there... Instead they will be positioned in the box along with the striker, and the left forward which would mean 4 of our players in the box, then no one backtracking in the center midfield there which leaves us open for the counter. As long as we keep our shape, this can be a fun formation to mess around with. We just need to be disciplined which I think we can both agree on.

23. Jon MK

Jon MK FIFA-reak

Agreed. Those CMs need to rotate well. The shape worked mostly because the other cm was a CPU so he rotates automatically behind blaxican when he moved toward the box. Which is why i Think we need a box to box and ballwinner at those positions.

24. Leander Francisco

Leander Francisco Walk On

I think I would be better off playing in midfield. I enjoy playing as a striker but I think I would be able to offer more to the team as a midfielder.

Last night, I think I only ended up in the box twice. Every other time I was at the top of the semi-circle trying to prevent counters or picking up clearances.

25. CoachRedd

CoachRedd I come through in something real foolish