First Live Draft night - Wednesday @ 10pm EST

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Mags, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Mags

Mags Former MEGA PC Commish

First Live Draft night - Wednesday @ 10pm EST

We'll give this ol' thing a whirl, see what we can do with making some live picks. 10pm EST on Wednesday night seems to be a decent fit. If enough guys can't make it, I'll start up the forum draft and then we'll go live on Sunday.

The new owners will be in and we should be full (or close to it) before we start.

2. RCF33

RCF33 Walk On

I wont be able to make it . I am working earlier than usual on Thursday so I am up at 3 AM . I will pre set my picks though . I hope we do this another night hate to have the 4th pick screwed up . I need it bad LOL

3. Kan

Kan Walk On

I won't be able to make it.

4. Mags

With the 4th pick, all you need to do is put your top 4 in order... You'll get one of em. ;)

Again.... this is tentative. We don't have to if a lot can't make it. Just seemed to be the general concensus. We can always start in the forums on Wed.

5. gt86

gt86 Walk On

10 pm is a little late to start during the week imho

I can make it but only be able to stay about an hour at the most have to get up at 5 am to get kids off the school and get ready for work. 8 pm est would be a better time i would think

6. coachgaddy

coachgaddy Mega 49ers, OMFL Pats

I can make it but it would be late for east coasters. I say forum draft .

7. scared46

scared46 Walk On

10pm is okay for me for the first round after that I need to hit the sack...I say forum draft if possible?

8. Big D

Big D Walk On

10 pm is great...that is 7 pm west coast. can't really go earlier than that due to work. i like it.

9. PoloMD

PoloMD Walk On

For me 10 pm est is good.

10. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

i can go @ 10pm

11. I-ROD

I-ROD Walk On

I'm good for 10pm Wed..

12. Mags

One thing to keep in mind... I don't have much control of the draft as in year's past. Can't undo picks, can't trade picks so original teams will have to draft proper players.

A forum draft (or LeaguePulse) would go MUCH quicker in terms of flow.

One thing we can do... I can just sim the draft. Each team would release the rookies they got and would sign the ones they drafted. In terms of logistics, that would make much more sense and would spread out the burden of work to each team. I'm thinking we may go that route, but I will let you all know.

13. coachgaddy

The Forum is the only way to guarantee happiness. If we do online and people miss out on their picks or picks that have been traded and the owner is not online to make the selection will surely caused another scarface/sdunlap argument post. lol

14. tankwillis

tankwillis Walk On

With the potential problems we will face, and with no free agency and trade restrictions my vote is squarely for a forum draft.

Once you start a live draft online it will be hard to make right if things go wrong. Making the draft won't be a problem, but I don't understand whay rush and have the draft midweek. Why not a Friday night draft? And why not have a mandatory forum draft for the next 3 or 4 days - 30 mins per pick between certain times. You miss your pick - give mags a list - if that guy not on list maybe a text telling you to get onto forum and make your pick out of the guys available, because after your 30 mins is up the next guy can pick (like real NFL).

This kind of setup would allow us to get through almost 1 round per day.

It is imperative that the draft goes smoothly. It is the ONLY way to add players to our teams.
    Why rush i? I understand there are conversations going on behind the scenes, but as a guy who has played exclusively on the console for years and one who has experienced about 4 online drafts in this version of madden already I do have some experience and will be disappointed for myself or anyone else who is inadvertently kicked or can't log on to PS3 or OF site during draft and ends up getting some ridiculous player as a result of EA's technical issue.

I am also concerned about the traded picks. The Rams owner has changed teams and I am wondering what happens when the Rams @ 17 take a player for me that I dont want. How is this oing to be handled? I'd like - as I'm sure other owners would - some reassurance as to how we will get our picks in from teams who have switched owners. I almost think switching teams should not happen until after the picks from previous tades have been made.

Sorry for the rant - I love the league, and have no problem investing the time in it, but I think that these issues should be addressed before taking a "get r done" attitute w/o thinking of consequences.

15. tankwillis

tankwillis Walk On

BTW - agree with mags and coach gaddy's posts above.

Why not do a live draft on ICQ? We could get draft done over 2 nights - say 2 hrs for 1st 3 rounds, 2 hrs following night for last 4.

Then we could do as mags suggested and be ready to go by the weekend.

16. scarface

scarface Walk On

Wednesday works for me no problem.
    Friday would be a no go for me as life calls at that time.

As far as the draft goes or doesnt go we can thank EA for a horrible system they gave us, and be sure to post your displeasure on their forums so they can see how bad it is.

That being said I honestly think the best way now that mags has mentioned it is sim the draft release everyone and then do a forum draft and have the players picked up as they are selected.
    other wise I am sure some will get screwed by EA, some will screw themselves, and in my case Mags and the RC will screw me, as they always have done in years past. lol

17. hoytpower

hoytpower Walk On

Tank if you traded for the 17th pick already then you will tell them who you want to draft. Your not going to get screwed in a case like that.

The draft is usually done in a day. After the first 4 rounds we usually simmed the rest I doubt anyone left will see the field anyways. It shouldn't take 20 mins to make a pick. If you have a draftboard set up as we all should things should go smoothly. I believe we had 5 mins max in the first rd and 2 mins the remaining rounds on PC.

18. Mags

Getting players on the teams they belong to won't be a big deal. In thinking about it, I think just simming the draft in the OF and then having each owner release/resign is the easiest thing to do. Although it'll take a bit of work and coordination, it'll be better than trying to draft, deal with traded picks, picking for others, and getting all owners together. There's just NO flexibility with what EA provided, so it's best just to do the draft and move on. We'll draft from the forums, or from LeaguePulse which might be an easier way to keep things organized and tracked.

Even as I'm typing this.... OK, I think I'm going to load the rooks into LP and we'll draft there. This way, we can manage traded picks. We can have properly operating draft boards. We can fix any mistakes and we can track players who have been picked and who are available. I'll try to get that set up tonight, and I'll have accounts set up so everyone can log into LP and use it.

Thoughts, concerns? This is probably our best avenue to make this successful.

19. coachgaddy

Tank has like 12 picks so he definitely wants this thing to go smoothly. :D

20. Big D

Big D Walk On

Wait so I'm confused. . .We are doing a draft of League Pulse Weds at 10pm Eastern? Or a straight forum draft.

I like'd the ICQ idea above. With everybody on, and MAGS there he could just draft for the teams that don't show from their draft board.

One thing to remember, please DON'T sim the draft yet as we won't be able to 'scout' all of the rookies.

21. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

as long as the draft however we do it is after 5pm west coast time on tuesday - saturday i will make time to be there in any format. sunday and monday i can be there at any time specified. i do like the idea of auto drafting and then doing the massive free agent thing. sounds confusing, yet at the same time makes total sense.

22. Luis

Luis Walk On

Wednesday at 10 is a little late for me (im 2 hours ahead of EST). But as long as we do it on LP, I'll set my draft board there and wont hold up the draft.

23. Stykman

Stykman RC & MEGA Historian

Friggin' South Americans...always screwing things up. :cool:

Also, Luis...we making a little Wager on the World Cup???!!!

24. stealth

stealth Walk On

10:pmest wednesday night is fine with me

25. Luis

Luis Walk On

Yeah, you take whatever team you want. I think this year will win it again!!!