First Simmed Season

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Sceptic21, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Sceptic21

Sceptic21 Walk On

So I just simmed my first season of dynasty. There were no big surprises. Ohio State won the title over Oklahoma. I was Kent St. and we went 7-5 with no bowl game. Kent finished 118th in recruiting. The Coaching Carousel was awesome! Some interesting notes from the carousel.....

There were around 50 openings for jobs. Probably 85% were extended. Most new head coaches came from bigger school's coordinators. For example...

DC @ Ole Miss -----> HC @ New Mexico
    DC @ Syracuse -----> HC @ Army
    DC @ Fresno St. -----> HC @ LA Tech
    OC @ Georgia Tech ----> HC @ UAB

It appears that we are starting at a higher pedigree than what most coaches do (which is ok), but I think the typical way of progressing through the carousel would be....

1) OC/DC @ small/crappy (Akron type) school
    2) OC/DC @ medium/average school
    3) HC @ small school (where we're starting)

*The rest isn't as clear*
    maybe...

4a) HC @ medium school
    4b) OC/DC @ big school
    5) HC @ big school

What I do know is that limiting ourselves to only head coaches doesn't sound like a good idea. There were only around 16 HC vacancies and probably 11 were re-signed(especially with us starting with such low prestige's (D)) Throughout the dynasty we each might progress one time, and that wouldn't be too much fun. Maybe with us controlling the teams we'll get more offers. I guess we'll just have to wait and see!!!

Thoughts? Questions? Concerns (about my future dominance with Kent State lol)?

2. TJM

TJM Walk On

Concerns would be:

1. JoePa will never retire
    2. Tulane scares me

3. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

I still think Joe Pa was just waiting out Bobby Bowden, this is his last year

4. TJM

TJM Walk On

Nah, he'll continue on as long as he can and is healthy enough. Hes said it time and time again, he has no plans to retire and Curley (AD), Spanier (Prez - Moe), and the Board (Larry) will not kick him out the door either.

5. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

He wasn't healthy enough 10 yes ago if things like competency and mental stability matter

6. TJM

TJM Walk On

??? Enlighten me? Hes still same old Joe, great sense of humor, talks to the media, recruiting by Skype now, and so forth. Did you not watch the ESPN show Difference Makers: Life Lessons with Paterno and Krzyzewski?

Penn State went through some dark years in the early 00s. But in the past 6 years he has had 3 - 11 win seasons and 2 - 9 win seasons, and 58 wins overall, almost averaging 10 wins/season. Placing Penn State in the top tier programs.

Also, do not give me "he doesnt coach anymore," as that is entirely not true and any Penn State fan who follows the program sees this.

7. Goose

Goose Walk On

Does crapping your pants count?

8. ThePlague0208

ThePlague0208 Walk On

How's that knee of his anyways?

9. vatechhokie01

back to the topic at hand... as for the simmed stats (thanks for these btw), they sound pretty good to me. assuming like 4 different levels of coaching (terrible, ok, good, great teams) it would only take about 12 openings at the top level (HC and coordinators) to open up about 50 jobs. sounds right.

as for us, i think we will be just fine. i mean you guys can pipe in on taking coordinator jobs but i say no. there are PLENTY of HCs that would never take any promotion other than another HC job. and we are definitely starting as only HCs. the stats didnt bother me at all... encouraged by them. and yes, it is going to and SHOULD take quite a few seasons to make it to the big time. we are not looking to be the HC at LSU in yr 3.

10. vatechhokie01

and yes, the carousel is pretty freakin awesome how they set it up at the end of the season at least. will be quite exciting when you might be looked at for a new job. hope it plays out as well it looks and feels.

11. TJM

TJM Walk On

Only the weak at debating drop to levels like this.

The jealous of Paterno is strong on this one, yes.

As far his knee (and hip), JoePa is a trooper and still walks to work from his home.

12. vatechhokie01

Joe Paterno...lol. Didn't you guys suck last year? How do you have one of the top traditions in college football and not win 10 games every year in the freaking Big 10? If you are defending Paterno still being a good coach... you have left the reservation yourself. And I love this thread!

wait... JoePa just pooped himself again.

13. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

I agree with TJM....(of course i do)

14. Goose

Goose Walk On

Weak, No. Funny as hell, Yes.

If he truely still coached and wasn't anything more than a figure head, how come he never wears a headset? I'm sorry for the good of the program he needs to step down and allow someone else to head coach. You can give him an honorary title if you'd like and make him Assistant AD.

15. vatechhokie01

an OSU guy talking smack. shameless!

16. TJM

TJM Walk On

Please read this article: http://www.theonlygamethatmatters.com/2008/07/joe-paterno-coach-or-figurehead.html

17. Goose

Goose Walk On

If my coach didn't coach on gameday I'd defend him the same way. lol

18. Goose

Goose Walk On

Does the recruiting screen look off to anyone else? It's like the words are all super bright and have a weird shadow.

19. Goose

Goose Walk On

Simmed first season,

Penn State Coach retired at age 69????? The Wisconsin OC, West Virginia OC, and Duke head coach were the top candidates.

Duke head coach got it after a 9-4 year.

20. Goose

Goose Walk On

I finished 2-10 at Akron cause they suck. I was offered the Western Kentucky OC job though. I'd love to be on your staff Gramps. lol

21. mmullen8

mmullen8 Walk On

I finished 6 and 6 with BG....was offered the OC job at Idaho....step down but i took it just for fun. CC is awesome

Starting my first game as WVU

22. LeatherHelmets

LeatherHelmets Walk On

On the staff???....we'd shave that beard, a little make over and you are my strating left tackle, big guy!

23. TJM

TJM Walk On

Heres some more on JoePa: http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive/2011/07/12/joe_paterno_swag_feature.aspx

Also heath miller, so Texas is not a big time program anymore? Alabama is not a big time program anymore (look at the last 10 years)? USC was never a big time program since from 89-2001 they did not win over 10 games? Michigan is not a big time program anymore? Nebraska? Oklahoma, since they went 8-5 two years ago? Tennessee? Florida State? That

logic is failed.

Virginia Tech will never be a top program. They have 1 win against TOP 5 in their history teams (#2 team), and 8 wins over TOP 10 teams (with 6 of those wins coming from #9 and #10 teams). VT has 9 bowl wins, JoePa himself has 24 bowl wins.
    Wanna know who is the Winningest Bowl Team of All Time? http://collegefootball.about.com/od/bowlgames/a/bowls-top10.htm