Florida points spread against Charleston

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by jmillhimes, Aug 21, 2009.

1. jmillhimes

jmillhimes Walk On

Florida points spread against Charleston

[​IMG]

(y)

2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

hmmm who would you take? I think I would take the 63 points....

3. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

You never know. Meyer might drop the hammer and run it up. But if I had money on it I would probably have to take the +63.

4. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

As a College of Charleston alum, I must clarify that this is Charleston SOUTHERN! Don't sully our name! (Plus, CofC has no football team :D)

5. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I won't touch a spread like that with someone elses money...No way.

If you want some solid bets here's a few I like:

Illinois -7 v. Mizzou
    Minnesota -6.5 @ Syracuse
    Auburn -13 v. La. Tech
    Colorado -11 v. Colo. St.

Just sayin...

6. Sixthdis108

Sixthdis108 Walk On

I wouldn't put it past Auburn not to be able to score 13 points the way they looked last year.

Minnesota is pretty much a lock to kill cuse. Stupid dukie Paulus.

Also, Florida is the team that kicked a FG late in order to beat the spread vs. Miami and make alumni happy. I see them laying the hammer down for +63.

7. CaddilacRockBox

CaddilacRockBox 3 Star Recruit

That's why I hate them. Won't even play us every year.

8. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

I respect Miami, but I despise those crocs.

9. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Yup, all Urban Meyer was concerned with was covering the spread cause he's an avid Las Vegas big game gambler. It had nothing to do with the fact that our FG kicker hadn't attempted an in game FG yet and we were headed to Rocky Top the next week.

I think you're confusing Meyer with Ricky Neuhisel.

And Rockbox, what would you like UF to do? We already play LSU, UGA, UT, and FSU every year in addition to the regular SEC rotations. Maybe we should drop Free Shoes University and play you guys annually, but it's just too darn fun beating them guys every year.

10. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

So what's with playing Charleston Southern to open? Want to make sure Tebag didn't forget how to throw? UF the team with the laughing stock schedule of the NCAA.

11. CaddilacRockBox

It is Florida's choice to play in the SEC. I have no problem with their conference schedule. It's this whole "we won't play out of state non-con games". It just seems like a dick move. Every team plays one terrible Sun Belt or FCS team, but but three in a schedule? (Charleston Southern, Troy who actually isn't awful, and FIU) Take a note from FSU and Miami and go play someone. Oh, and get a couple more national titles.;)

12. GoGators

If we played in the irrelevant ACC we would. What happened to Georgia Tech last year against LSU?????? What happened to FSU against UF???? What happened in Miami vs UF????

Our schedules soft this year, yes. That's only because the typical teams we play are rebuilding. We typically play 4 top 25 programs if not more every year. If we make it to the SEC championship, we basically play 2 national championship games. What more do you guys want? Maybe we should drop Charleston Southern and see if the Pittsburgh Steelers would be available that week.

With the schedule and conference we play, why would we go play any where else? The ACC isn't what it was so you guys have to schedule tough non conference games. When the ACC or any other conference wins 3 NCs in a row or when FSU or Miami have a schedule that compares to the SECs you guys can talk.

And do FSU fans hate Florida because we put academically eligible players on the field to win games??? Just curious.

I do give props to Miami for scheduling Oklahoma though. That's pretty cool.

13. JOEDESIGNS

JOEDESIGNS Walk On

OK...lets compare.

FSU Schedule
    Jort Schedule​
    Miami
    Charleston Southern​
    Jacksonville State
    Troy​
    BYU
    Tennessee​
    USF
    Kentucky​
    Boston College
    LSU​
    Georgia Tech
    Arkansas​
    North Carolina
    Mississippi State​
    NC State
    Georgia​
    Clemson
    Vandy​
    Wake
    South Carolina​
    Maryland
    FIU​
    UF
    FSU​

And just to drive my point home.

Phil Steele's top schedules
    2 Florida St
    12 Miami, Fl
    34 Florida

CLICK ME -> http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college/2009/07/phil-steeles-toughest-schedule.html

Oh, and next year, Oklahoma is on our schedule as well. It's only a matter of time before you guys blow another cup cake schedule. But look on the bright side, you're the first Defending National Champion to lose to Ole Miss. Congrats.

14. CaddilacRockBox

You're right, if we could afford to not play anyone we probably wouldn't either. Oh, wait.

We've been playing tough non-cons for quite a while, before the ACC was mediocre, before we were in the ACC when we were in the Big East, also before that when we were an Independent. I know schedules go back and forth with the home/away/home/away that conferences play, that's not a big deal, but there are plenty other teams (Alabama, Oklahoma, USC, Ohio State, Oregon State, Auburn, Georgia, Oregon) that play in big-time conferences (Big Ten, Pac-10, Big 12, SEC) that play very difficult non-con games. Your conference is no excuse.

15. GoGators

That's true, I understand that our conference is no excuse. Like I said, yes we have a soft schedule this year. But you can't go crazy and say we play nobody every year.

Take last year. We had one of the toughest schedules in the nation. Hawaii week 1 who was in a BCS game the prior year mind you. Miami week 2. Then UT, Ole Miss, LSU, UGA, FSU, Alabama. Tell me Miami's or FSU's schedule was tougher than that last year?

And Daddy Amp, yes we lost to Ole Miss. Yes, at home. Yes we kicked FSU's arse. And yes we have more national championships then you.

16. CaddilacRockBox

I'm not saying you don't play anyone. I'm saying you don't play anyone in non-conference play. I know you play FSU every year, so do we, it's a push there, but let's compare the '08 schedule.

Miami Florida

Charleston Southern Hawaii
    @Florida Miami
    @Texas A&M @Tennessee
    North Carolina Ole Miss
    FSU @Arkansas
    UCF LSU
    @Duke Kentucky
    Wake Forest Georgia
    @Virginia @Vandy
    Va Tech South Carolina
    @Ga Tech The Citadel
    @NC State @FSU

Okay. I'll give you Georgia and Ole Miss. They were both good teams, aside from them there is no real difficult "big" games on this schedule. Hawaii was a joke, it looked good because they supposedly made a BCS bowl, although I didn't see a team show up. Georgia would have had a harder time scoring less if they played against thin air, they lost a whole lot of starters from a team that almost lost to San Jose St. Tennessee was in a word, awful. They were a joke every saturday. All I need to say about their season is that they lost to Vandy. That doesn't happen often. Same goes for Arkansas, Kentucky, LSU, South Carolina, and Vandy.

Now, our schedule. Not sterling on paper by any means. I understand that. North Carolina/Ga Tech could have very easily finished third in either SEC division last season. Texas A&M was a let down, we beat the hell out of them twice, but at least they're from a BCS conference and they were good when we scheduled them 4 years ago. Va Tech. Need I say more? They would've easily been the second or first toughest game on Florida's schedule. What does Alabama do? They accept a bid into the Chik-fil-a opener against them. They did it with no experience at the QB position and tons of other questions. Going back to my first knock on Florida in this thread, I just want them to schedule someone. This isn't a new thing. I went back to 2002. Other than Miami and FSU, there hasn't been a potentially difficult non-con game on Florida's schedule. Zero.

So, now that i've explained why your conference and schedule are no excuse, what's next? Is it a money thing? No. It's just an overall snobby attitude for no good reason. If you were Michigan or Notre Dame and didn't want to play anyone, go for it. Those teams have double digit national titles and are two of the most winning and storied programs. Miami got where it is by taking an anyone/anywhere approach. That's how we came from almost cutting the football program in the 60's to winning in the 70's and winning national titles in every decade since. You know what people remember about Florida? Gatorade and Spurrier. Oh and this..
    [YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/96vAbtpakLg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/96vAbtpakLg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I never get tired of him crying. You probably look nothing like this Sherm, but when I picture a Florida fan, I picture this..
    [​IMG]

17. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

holy shit lol at the mullet from hell. I love the stenciled tattoo on his arm too. the tucked in shirt, complete with rolled up sleeves just seals the deal.

18. GoGators

First, I find it funny that when UF wins it's now all of a sudden because of a soft schedule. If that was the case, why do all the pollsters put the SEC in the title games and why do we continually dominate the championship games?

When Miami won championships I respected that. They had great teams and they were even robbed of one against OSU. But UF is just so easy to be envious of I guess. It's funny how many people just can't stand Florida.

So Hawaii turned out to be a joke, but you don't know that when the game gets scheduled. And to say that the other top tier programs we played were a joke. What are you on??? LSU a joke last year? Than explain to me what happened to one of the ACC's best Georgia Tech in their bowl game? 38-3, welcome to the SEC. Also, South Carolina had one of the best defenses in the nation going into our game.

And to say UGA would have scored less only against thin air. It's so funny how you can just discredit everything we did last year. I could sit here and say everything Miami has done doesn't count too and we'd have a real intelligent debate going. Then Oklahoma, best offense ever in college football, 14 points. I'm not arguing about this stuff any more because it doesn't make sense. We hoisted the trophy and we earned it all the way.

Now as for the schedule, yes it is a money thing. We make a ton of money by having teams come play us at home for non conference games. Is it tacky, maybe. We pay teams a hefty paycheck for those games so it's not like their losing out. Charleston Southern will get $450k for coming to Gainesville. More than they probably make in a handful of home games.

I do agree with you that it would be interesting to see UF play some tougher non conference games. I would like to see us jump into one of the season opening chic fil a bowls and play a top SEC team or even play a Pac 10 team like Virginia did last year against USC. It would be a great game.

But my point is that on any given year, we already have a tough schedule. If LSU, UGA, UT, SC, and FSU produce the programs they are capable of then those should all be top 25 games. I would even like to see us play you guys more frequently. I don't know why we don't. I know the typical Miami fan says because Foley is scared to schedule you guys but I doubt that's the case. I'm sure it has more to do with giving up a home game and all that revenue.

Also, you're correct. I do not in any shape or form resemble that guy and in no way want to make this personal and display hatred towards Miami or FSU for that matter. I thought this was a friendly debate between passionate fans. But you took it further and insulted/stereotyped a Florida fan base. That's insulting. You don't hear me making comments that Miami is nothing but spoiled rich kids who weren't smart enough to get into UF and use the bright scholars scholarship so they spend their trust fund from mommy and daddy on tuition.

Mind you, the avg GPA of the incoming freshman class at UF is a 4.24 and ACT is a 29. So I truly doubt the average UF fan/alumni looks like a podunk redneck.

19. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

If you didnt know Hawaii was goin to be a joke then get out, when I heard that I just shook my head. Flying across the states, no Colt and no June = blow out.

Incoming class can have all that its what Urban teaches them and so far he has had the most arrests on his team.

And remember before Tebow, FSU had done more in half the time of Florida. FSU has only been playin football for 50 or 60 years while Florida just celebrated 100 years not long ago. FSU at the time had 2 titles to UF 1 and 14 straight top 5 finishes! Lil brother grew up quick and they will rise up again soon

20. CaddilacRockBox

I never intended to hurt anyones feelings. I was still having a friendly debate, albeit heated. We've discussed Hawaii. They lost way too much from a team that got blown out by an SEC team that beat UF to be a factor. I never said you won because of having a soft schedule. You won because, for the most part, you earned it. For the record, I didn't discredit several things you did last year, like the national title, SEC title, etc. Pretty sure those were the most important ones. I may have exaggerated, but LSU wasn't very good last year. They were a shell of their former teams. Once again, and for the last time, we all know that the SEC is tough. It's a very common and accepted opinion that it is the toughest conference in the nation. That was never the debate. The only reason that conferences were brought into it was when you compared FSU and Miami's schedule to UF's last season. Also, I never said the average UF fan looked like a "podunk redneck". I just happen to think that picture is funny because it is of a rival team. Just like people buy those awfully tacky, yearly rivalry shirts. To your remark of UM being a bunch of spoiled, rich kids; you apparently have never been to Coral Gables. Yes, it takes money to go there. We are a private school. There are also tons of students that bust their ass to get there, I know several who are far from being considered "rich and spoiled". Those kids that were actually too smart to go to UF. We graduate more players almost every year. I believe we were 6th or 8th in the nation last year. These are both excellent academic programs, but being a private university grants us certain benefits as well as disadvantages.

I will give you guys credit for one last thing. I thank the University of Florida, wholeheartedly, for taking the "criminal" moniker away from us. You guys are definitely winning that battle. 24-1 since our two coaches took over in the same year. Kudos.

21. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

UF is the best team in the nation hands down this year and last. Theres no debate

22. GoGators

Finally some support for the Gators. Thanks Hova! I was getting tired of debating FSU and Miami myself.

RockBox, you're right about the generalization about UM. I didn't mean to make it, it was just in rebuttal of you're generalization/stereotype of UF fans. I fully understand UM is a great school. I have a couple friends that went there (law school). I'm sure UM just like any other has their share of spoiled brats, (maybe slightly more than average since it is private) but I'm also sure there are many great people there working their butts off to make something of themselves and that's to be commended.

I don't know that I'd go as far to say UM is better than UF academically. I don't know the figures. I know they're both great programs so I'll leave it at that. Compared to FSU, the one thing UF and FSU students have in common? They both got into FSU! Hahaha J/K.

As for the arrests. I commend Shannan on his attempt to turn around the program. So far so good. That on field brawl was absolutely disgusting regardless of who started it. One thing that was cool about UM of old was the schwagger. Over the years it's like they lost there talent but kept the schwagger and that was a huge cause of the problem. All attitude and no wins doesn't make sense. You can't ride the coattails of the players that came before you forever and I think the new guys realize that now.

The criminal charges are a part of college football. Especially in the South it seems, or at least they seem to get more press for it down here. i.e. you don't hear much about this type of stuff from Michigan or ND. While UF has had it's share of charges, few have resulted in prosecutions. Most charges are dropped and players are definitely disciplined by Urban Meyer. Maybe not as much as some would like in all cases, but there's definitely discipline. The guys who do get convicted usually are off the team and leave school. Just ask Cam Newton.

23. CaddilacRockBox

Great to see another UF fan chime in, but i'm pretty sure that isn't the debate.

Good thing the brawl wasn't under Coach Shannon, it was Coker. He was an awful recruiter. He got big name guys and highly ranked guys, he just couldn't pick out the real thing. Having Kyle Wright and Kirby Freeman at QB will take any team down a few notches. The bright spot has always been our defense and for several years after Butch Davis left, it stayed in tact. Thanks mostly to Coach Shannon. The swagger is why kids want to play for the U. There isn't another program with that kind of attitude, brotherhood, or recent tradition. That's why I love 'em. You don't hear about Texas recruits getting thrown out of Oklahoma camps for giving them the Longhorns gesture. Although, Tavadis Glenn throws up the U at a Florida "Friday Night Lights" camp. Classic.

http://www.seventhfloorblog.com/2009/7/28/966024/tavadis-glenn-puts-his-back-into-it

24. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

"Most charges are dropped and players are definitely disciplined by Urban Meyer. Maybe not as much as some would like in all cases, but there's definitely discipline. The guys who do get convicted usually are off the team and leave school. Just ask Cam Newton."

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:Ss4XE8O0ACIJ:www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/uf-gators/orl-sportsflorida-gators-lawyer-14061409jun14,0,5872849.story%3Fpage%3D1+florida+gator+lawyer+huntley+johnson&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=opera

GAINESVILLE — Flashy memorabilia of Marilyn Monroe, Ted Williams and Ernest Hemingway overshadow a small picture of Florida's football stadium hanging in the hallway.

The blue ink scribbled on the 40-yard line of "The Swamp" somehow delivers the loudest message inside this colorfully cluttered law office.

Huntley, Thanks for being a part of the team. Urban Meyer.

Huntley Johnson isn't on the University of Florida's payroll. He's not on the UF football program's payroll, either. But the Gainesville-based attorney might just be the Gators' most valuable player other than Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Tim Tebow.

Johnson is the go-to Gator for UF football players who find trouble with the law. He has handled 23 of the 24 football-related legal cases the Orlando Sentinel documented during Meyer's four years as Florida's head coach. The 24th case happened in Daytona Beach.

The arrests have Florida facing public scrutiny this summer as newspaper columnists, Internet bloggers and fans debate whether the UF football team is out of control. Instead of talking about whether the team can defend its national championship, Meyer and Athletic Director Jeremy Foley have been forced to defend their program's honor over the conduct of 19 players charged with crimes off the field under Meyer's watch.

The university last week even pointed out to the media that, among other things, Meyer did not recruit many of the players arrested during his tenure. Ron Zook coached the Gators from 2002-04.

"They are knocking on the door of this becoming a big black eye," said Birmingham, Ala.-based sports talk-show host Paul Finebaum.

The perception might be worse without Johnson.

Sentinel research shows that of the 23 cases handled by Johnson, 21 resulted in dropped charges, a plea deal or pre-trial deferment plans that help first-time offenders avoid charges after fulfilling court-ordered stipulations.

The remaining two cases are unresolved, including sophomore cornerback Janoris Jenkins' arrest two weeks ago on charges of affray and resisting an officer. Eight felony cases have been reduced to misdemeanors or thrown out of court.

"As far as the legal aspect, he's the [team's] MVP," said Cecil Newton, the father of former Gators quarterback Cam Newton.

Cam Newton faced felony counts of burglary, larceny and obstruction of justice in November, but his case will be dismissed after he completes community service under pre-trial deferment.

Johnson, 62, graduated from the UF law school in 1975 and attends Gators sporting events. But athletes comprise a small fraction of a client list that includes 100 students per year, Johnson estimates.

Johnson and Osteryoung, P.A., co-partnered with Amy Osteryoung out of their St. Augustine branch, handles broad-based criminal defense cases ranging from alleged murders to rapes to traffic misdemeanors.

He said his allegiances are to his clients, not the UF football team.

"If it comes to students versus the university, the university loses," said Johnson in an exclusive Sentinel interview. "I don't represent the University of Florida. I don't represent football coaches. I represent the kids."

The university must be concerned with how athletes pay Johnson for his services.

NCAA Bylaw 16.3.2 states universities can provide legal expenses on a student's behalf only regarding eligibility matters. For personal cases, athletes must pay the same amount as a firm's average customer.