Football is turning into a woman's sport

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Nautica, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I understand the difference between a dirty hit and a clean hit, but the NFL deciding to suspend guys for any big hit is a joke. These hits happen in the league. The Dunta Robinson hit on DeSean Jackson was a CLEAN hit. He hit him in the chest first then into the chin. Anyone who has played Football, high school or college, knows that there are times when a big hit is unavoidable. Its apart of the game and happens. I in no way condone a dirty hit on a defenseless player, but this is ridiculous. What are everyone's thoughts on this.

ESPN Article

2. TEClemson53

TEClemson53 Walk On

Some can be prevented, some it's just to late, both have already started their "motion" I guess is a way to say it. Unless the NFL doesn't want anyone leaning into a tackle, which would be dumb

3. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I don't think that they need to suspend players who make big hits that are clean hits (without intention to hurt), they do need to suspend guys who intentionally lead with their head and aim to hurt players.

I like the steelers, but James Harrison is a piece of shit. Dirtiest linebacker since Bill Romanowski.

4. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

Couldnt agree more. I love James Harrison's quote on the big hits on the two Browns receivers....lol.

Big hit's are part of the game. Stop fucking with it Goodell

5. Iron Mickey

What's wrong with that? I am far from a Steelers fan but I will take James Harrison on my team any day.

6. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

both hits were to the head on the browns receivers, the one on josh cribs he just put his head down and went in blind for that hit. Cribs was already going down and there was no need for that hit to even occur.

7. Iron Mickey

Both those hits were clean as hell and Massaquoi's was right under the chin....lmao

8. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

how was the hit on cribs a clean hit, it was a helmet to helmet hit. and the one on massaquoi, harrison clearly was going for his head. Explain to me how a guy going for a guys head is clean.

9. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Take away their helmets

10. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

Stupid move on Ray Ray's part, but good hit though.

11. Iron Mickey

are you a Browns fan?

12. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I effin hate the browns

13. Iron Mickey

I don't see the "clearly" part....I see a linebacker making a kill shot.

14. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

15. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

He went high and for his head

16. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I really don't care for all the rules they've enacted that are protecting players. Its a violent game, thats part of what makes it great. I LIKE to see those big hits, its exciting to watch. The difference is with intent. If a safety is just coming down on a WR trying to separate the WR from the ball, its a clean hit in my opinion. If a player goes all Brandon Spikes (eye gouging) or Ty Warren (diving at JP Losman's knee) and intentionally tries to hurt a player, thats where I draw the line.

17. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I correct myself, the hit on cribs by definition is clean because he had he ball.

18. Iron Mickey

Agree

19. uncleho

uncleho Walk On

I don't have a problem with it as long as its against the players who are leading with the head. You are a professional football player, you have been taught to keep your head up and hit with your shoulder pads since you were in Pop Warner, start doing it right and you won't have a problem.

20. Iron Mickey

This hit by Dunta is perfect form after seeing it several times. He laid DeSeans ass out, that's what I call football now.

When your only 175 lbs shit is really going to hurt.

21. GSUtiger

GSUtiger GEAUX TIGERS!!

football and basketball are turning SOFT!!! you cant get touched without someone blowing the whistle or throwing a flag. I remember when you actually got knocked around and nothing was done. Like Jordan said in his interview he would score 100 with the rules now or foul out of every game. Anytime a players thinks the got roughed up they start complaining and crying to the offical. Stop F'n crying and play ball. you get paid millions of $$$! take a damn hit. if they wont do it I will. Give me a million dollar a year contract and watch me take any and every hit and not complain once. Bytch i'm paid!

22. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

Maybe they should fine $50,000 for that pass instead of Robinson.

23. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

As most of you guys have said, a lot of these hits are clean and unavoidable. Football is a contact sport after all. However, if they don't do something, somebody is going to get killed in the future.

What do you guys think about this as a solution?

Get rid of the helmets and shoulder pads and go back to the leather helmets with shirts that have small pads in them, i.e. like the movie leatherheads.

I think the reason a lot of these hits happen is that today's player is armed with weapons. If Robinson didn't have a helmet and shoulder pads on, he wouldn't of hit Jackson like that, he would of bodied him up. Jackson's helmet and shoulder pads in no way offered him any protection on that play. Robinson's did as he was able to lead with his shoulder and head (albeit cleanly). Today's helmet and shoulder pads are more of a weapon for the defensive players than they are protection to the offensive guys.

What do you guys think?

24. Randiesel75

Randiesel75 Walk On

This is what Mike Ditka said and it was aired on ESPN radio this morning. His reasoning - and I do agree - is that helmets are so advanced they have become a weapon. While this is a good point, and probably better idea to force people to tackle with their body and hands, it will never happen.

25. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

I doubt they'll get rid of helmets. If anything, 5 years from now the NFL will have a rule just like the quarterback rule (no hits above the shoulders or below the thighs) for every player in the NFL. Goodell is too concerned with being PC and looking like he's out in front of all these "issues" (concussions, hard hits, off field issues, etc.) that he cares more about that than the well being of the league and where it came from, imo. As an NFL player, you know the risks involved, and made the decision years and years ago to accept the consequences (and get paid quite well for it).

If they start with all these new rules that takes away from the violence and contact in the sport, they should start lowering these players' salaries. Lower risk, lower paycheck.