For Next Year

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by The Dude, Jan 17, 2012.

1. The Dude

The Dude Professor of Dudanomics

Wanted to run something past you guys.

In the past, we kinda cranked up the difficulty in order to obtain reasonable stats. Now, most of the guys who really worked the CPU over have moved on. The guys still here typically play the CPU close, and some guys are having real trouble beating the CPU. Made me think of a "what if" scenario:

What if we went to a form of AA sliders (probably close to default) for a year, let guys who took over new teams build some success into their programs, and spend the year bringing in new guys and assessing their games ...

... and then we get a new set of sliders for the following year, something that caters to our new 12, or 10, or however many we end up with? It stands to reason that a new group would have a different balance, right? Why not spend a year getting to know the guys and tweaking this or that until we get where we want to be?

Just something I was thinking about. Thoughts?

2. Loaf31

Loaf31 Walk On

I'm fine with whatever you guys decide.... I don't want to have to "dumb" the sliders down for me though.

I just noticed that we are now down to 7 users..... is it cool if I ask a buddy of mine to join up?

3. The Dude

Actually, let's turn this into a wish list for next year. Go ahead and put anything out there that you might want to try.

Also, let's see if we can snag a few guys through people we know. Please, if you have the time, ask a few questions and see if you know anyone who might want to join us for next season. Off-season is the best time to bring guys in, we have a number of really good open teams, and with no one in the Pac12, we could even bring in a whole new conference. There are options for guys who want to join up, so please shoot a few messages out there and see what we can do, OK?

4. The Dude

Cool with me.

And we wouldn't be "dumbing" anything down necessarily. I for one change my game according to the settings - I find that guys use more diverse books when they can, and tighten up considerably when the sliders crank up. And we can tweak in season and work our way up. Thing is, the guys who left are so stinking good that they make it tough to provide a challenge for them AND a winnable environment for everyone else. A change would just be about balancing for the guys we have, that's all. I'm always going to look for a system where guys get knocked around by the CPU here and there, but I want everyone to be able to have success (within reason) as well. I think the membership no longer calls for the same settings we had in place before. As things change, we change. And right now, it looks like we could use a breather, if only a momentary one.

5. bdub

bdub Walk On

I don't think we should go back to AA. Our numbers will be insane if you make it that easy.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  6. The Dude

OK. Maybe we go another way. But my thought is to back off for a time so we can get some new members and get everyone where they want to be and get them a leg up, so to speak. How we do that can happen a number of ways, I think.

7. The Dude

And keep in mind ... we can talk about anything here. One of the advantages to having a smaller number of players is that there are fewer people who need to agree. We can make any changes you guys want, within reason, of course.

I've been thinking about Heisman recruiting myself. No restrictions. Never done it, but it would sure make guys think about recruiting and use every call strategically - and with a three day window, we'd have the time to do that. I think it'd be cool to make signing recruits a real accomplishment again. We did it before by trying to make users compete. It might be time to do it by making the CPU a real monster. Then, maybe sliders won't matter as much, because we may not have as many studs. Just an interest I've had lately.

8. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Not necessarily, I am playing in the HOF league and we have AA sliders and they are much tougher than our sliders. More realistic too, I might add. Where the noticeable difference will occur is in the user games, where the AI around you will play at a AA level rather than our current Heisman level.

9. The Dude

User shootouts are a concern, but I know there are AA settings that can do the job. Just haven't researched anything yet.

10. bdub

bdub Walk On

AA sliders can be tough no doubt, but if we are going to make sliders AA and easy, how are we going to keep the stats down? I would say instead of trying to make things easier, we look to find a more balanced set of sliders that allows for a variety of offensive styles. Move to Heisman recruiting, even with the restrictions in place we all have some damn good recruiting classes. Lets make this harder and it will be a real challenge to put a championship team on the field every year.

11. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

A little off topic, but what about for recruiting, we go to Heisman, and set up a REALISTIC cap on the caliber of recruits similar to real life.

For example, in The Pride, we have a max 4 :5stars: and I want to make a max :4stars:requirement too.

The bonus list is nice and all, but its too random and can unfairly benefit some teams and unintentionally disadvantage others. Maybe I just suck ass at recruiting, but I can't recruit shit into Michigan. Haven't been able to get shit from the bonus lists ever.

Just thought maybe opening up recruiting a bit, maintaining a cap, and increasing difficulty may garner what the intent of the 1-7-70 rule was intending to do?

Just for example, in The Pride, Penn State, Oklahoma, Florida, and Alabama are still monster squads. TCU has been built themselves quite a niche, and Boise is perennially pretty damn good.

I can roll either way, just saw the title of the thread, didn't read any of The Dude's long winded thread;), and thought it may spark conversation.

12. Loaf31

Loaf31 Walk On

I think that we should be able to get more than 1 :5stars: recruit. I like the bonus recruits, but I definitely allow more than 1 :5stars: recruit per team

13. The Dude

We can go with a straight cap on fives.

I think Heisman is pretty tough, and the pool has fewer top guys, so I think we could easily lessen the restrictions, and still maintain a balance where certain teams won't be able to simply grab up all the talent. I think a cap is a good idea. Maybe we copy The Pride for a year, see what our guys do, and then make any changes we see as necessary.

The current system has led to some really good CPU teams, and the rosters feel about right - as long as we don't tip that in the wrong direction, I think we can do any number of things. But CU teams like UF and USC and TCU and Boise - I want teams like that to exist no matter what we do.

But for a single year, I think we could stand to make some mistakes and experiment. I'm not saying we will make mistakes, but we could handle a few without doing any long term damage.

14. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

If you look historically over the past 10 years, which someone did here at TSO, the average # of 5*'s that a top recruiting class has had was 4. That's why I went with what I did in The Pride.

The same could be done for 4*'s, but I never implemented it...

Let me look for the homework and I'll post the details.

15. Goose

Goose Walk On

Trust me, this has nothing to do with your ability Smooth. No one wants to go to that school. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  16. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Hate you

• Like Like x 3
  17. bdub

bdub Walk On

And people want to go to college in Ohio? Both states suck.

18. The Dude

We need a dislike button.

19. Goose

Goose Walk On

WAaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy better than Utah. That's for damn sure. lol

20. bdub

bdub Walk On

Yeah sure, whatever you say buddy.

21. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Not so sure bout that

22. Goose

Goose Walk On

Just ask Urban. He couldn't wait to get out of Utah. lol

23. bdub

bdub Walk On

Don't worry he will be leaving you in a few short years.

24. The Dude

images.jpg

Kid's face cracks me up.

• Like Like x 1
  25. tbishop82

tbishop82 Walk On

I'm with Loaf, I'll go with whatever you guys want to do. I just don't want me to be a reason for change. I enjoy this league and expected it to be a challenge.

• Like Like x 2