For Non-Playoff Teams - Need your help!!

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Jeremy, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Jeremy

Jeremy The ONLY 2 time OMFL CHampion!!!!

Each year the OMFL puts on a tournament for the non-playoff teams to kill time as the OMFL playoffs are taking place,we call it "Toilet Bowl". We will more than likely do something of the sort again this year but I am proposing to you others guys for ideas.

Any other type of structured tournament we can set-up for our non-playoff teams?

Here is an idea already brought forth by the resident OMFL boy-genius,Winuvas.

We've done it the last three years with mixed results. Do we want to try again? Or, perhaps, I have a different idea:

Reward teams who test out all-pro that are not playoff bound.

Basically, 7 minute quarters, all pro level, and all OMFL rules apply. Record all results in a thread similar to what we tried to do in the board room.

The team with the most games in will get a free cap hit cut extra above the mandatory cuts.

The team with the highest winning percentage gets a draft pick (like with the betting thread).

These are very rough guidelines, but what do you think about this alternative?

2. Big D

Big D Walk On

I think this is a bad idea, as guys who are in the playoffs have not shot at these rewards.

PLUS we have tried toilet bowls and OMFL Cups in the past with massive failures every time. The definition of crazy is trying something over and over and expecting a different result.

You board memebers should focus on the offseason to make sure that things are in order better than they have been in the past. Dont need other distractions.

3. Coach KO

Coach KO Walk On

I agree with Dunlap on one thing. Get rid of the awards or incentives for the non-playoff teams. It doesn't seem fair (though in all fairness compensatory draft pick isnt exactly a big deal.) If we want to make it All Pro, then we can test it.

4. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

The idea behind the awards for non-playoff teams was two-fold: to encourage participation and award a winner, similar to what we were trying to do with the Toilet Bowl Trophy.

The point of the thread is to find out if anyone has an idea that might work, and if not, then we need to encourage non-playoff teams to play on all-pro while they wait and see if it's a viable possibility for change. We'll have a few good players sitting on the sidelines this postseason, so now is a great time to check and see the viability of going to all-pro. If we can do a tournament and reward the winner of it, so much the better.

And also, it IS fair to playoff teams. Playoff teams that win can hoist the OMFL Bowl trophy. This idea is more like the NIT to the NCAA tournament, for those that pay attention to college basketball.

5. bamagrad

bamagrad Back to Back British Amateur Champion

6. Big D

Big D Walk On

So the idea is that the non-playoff teams will get a shot to determine our future ruleset AND have a chance for a bunch of incentives to do it while the playoff teams don't really have much of an input?

Doesn't make sense. It's like trying to get an 'unbiased' poll about affirmative action at the Neo-Nazi headquarters. We all know what the results of that testing are going to be. The majority of owners who didn't make the playoffs have a negative view of All-Madden, simply because they got beat a ton while playing on it.

Let me put it to you this way. We poll the playoff teams and we'll overwhelmingly say All-Madden. We poll the non-playoff teams and they'll overwhelmingly say All-Pro.

What exactly are we trying to accomplish here? You are conducting a 'survey' when we already know what the answer is going to be.

7. Coach KO

Coach KO Walk On

I dont think we need to have an incentive plan for the guys that dont make the playoffs. If we are going to seriously consider all pro, then lets take some time after the playoffs to hammer that out. The non-playoff teams can still try ALL-Pro and provide feedback. The idea of tourney is to keep those of us who missed the playoffs interested for the 2-3 weeks before the offseason starts.

8. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Okay. So how many folks would be interested (non playoff teams) in just testing all-pro? And as playoff teams get knocked out, they can participate in this as well?

We're working to get a better structure in place for next season.

9. Claven

Claven OMFL-Redskins

IMO that 1 week or so we switched to All-pro was enough to determine this debate. Runningbacks will take over the league. CJ ran for what? 400 yards My game against the Rams was so lopsided, DeAngelo is having a great year, he's only going to do better on All-Pro. I'm ok for testing it still, I just think all people who care whether we play AM or AP are testing it.

List of possible other awards that can be given out:
    - Get out of jail free card ( basically if you have already used your team switch this card will allow you did get out of your team to a team that opens up.)
    - 1 position change during the season (without injury needed)
    - Subtract 1 or 2 ovr points from your Top 20 avg for mandatory cuts
    - 1 free modifier change during the season.
    - 1 season of having access to the boardroom (won't have any responibilites, but can post and share with whats going on.)
    - an extra starting amount of money in next seasons pickem gambling game.
    - Allowed 1 extra trade
    - Allowed to release 1 player with no cap hit.
    - Allowed 1 position change for 1 season no matter the OVR stipulations.

Just a few things I thought of the top of my head. Some people might have problems with this, thats fine. I would be fine with any of these things but I think playoff teams should have the same possibility of winning the prize if they choose to participate. of course playoff teams can't really be in the toilet bowl (unless maybe we allow the first 2 team who lost WC games are aloud to move into losers bracket or something.) However even if your in the playoffs you could still test out AP by playing a friendly with someone in the league. Just babbling here.

10. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

I agree. And this is what I want is constructive feedback and help on figuring out rewards and whether this is a feasible option.

11. sammymitchell25

sammymitchell25 Walk On

Ther was no chance for me to catch CJ on All-pro, it was unbelievable how he was running, Im sure all running teams will benefit from All-pro, but not like the "elite" runners will

12. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

ya just because we are testing doesn't mean we will, just need to test and see. we really want to make the best decision.

13. NDCOLTS1979

NDCOLTS1979 I love you red solo cup

ill test no big deal

14. sammymitchell25

sammymitchell25 Walk On

ill play if I dont make the playoffs

15. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

i also will play if i miss playoffs.